V80 vs v2100

Dan2122

Hi everyone.

we have been offered to machines by a company here in the uk.

Versant 80 – currently 2 in stock both with External Fiery, Twin Hi-Cap Feeder & Pro-Booklet.

500k meter £6,750

vs

1. Versant 2100 – Currently 1 in stock with PRO External Fiery, 4M Meter, Twin Hi-Cap Feeder, Hi-Cap stacker £7,495

What do you think, newer machine but higher clicks, or an older machine but lower clicks. Both will be on a service plan.

@Dan2122 they're both colour presses - out of interest, what machine are you going to print your 32,000 B/W pages on for these 500 batches of 86pp booklets you've spoke of?

Have you taken your files and your substrates and run samples of your jobs on both of these machines?

Do you like the samples? What's the booklet finishing quality and consistency like - i.e. do a stack of 50 booklets all look accurately and identically finished?

What CPCs have you been offered on these two machines? What's the term? Are the CPCs fixed for the term?

How do those CPCs compare to those offered on similar grade machines by Ricoh / KM / Canon (either direct or via the dealer channel)?

Hi Dan. Have owed both these machines. The 2100 is a better machine (more bells and whistles, better registration etc)
If on a service plan I would not worry that the 2100 has done more clicks thann the V80 (not your problem:) this is why every one tells you your crazy
if you dont go for the FSMC. I'm surprisd the price difference between the two machines is as small as it is. The V80 is still a good machine (Just more manual). FYI still have my V2100. Like all digital machines has a few issues. Hope this helps.

@Dan2122 they're both colour presses - out of interest, what machine are you going to print your 32,000 B/W pages on for these 500 batches of 86pp booklets you've spoke of?

Have you taken your files and your substrates and run samples of your jobs on both of these machines?

Do you like the samples? What's the booklet finishing quality and consistency like - i.e. do a stack of 50 booklets all look accurately and identically finished?

What CPCs have you been offered on these two machines? What's the term? Are the CPCs fixed for the term?

How do those CPCs compare to those offered on similar grade machines by Ricoh / KM / Canon (either direct or via the dealer channel)?
Hi.
I’ve taken on board what you have said but I don’t think we have the space/capital for two machines.

so we’re planning to print the 64 page bw on the versant. I take on board what you say about it causing issues, but as long as the supplier is happy to service it… I guess.

we haven’t seen samples yet but should have some back early next week.

clicks are coming in at 0.0045 bw and 0.0315 colour on a plan over 3 or 5 years.
Thanks again for keeping me right 👍

Sounds a bit back to front tbh

if only your covers are in colour, and the contents are B/W then make the main machine B/W and get a small/basic colour machine for the covers.

if you’re doing the booklet making inline then get a cover inserter for inserting the colour covers.

You can get a good B/W workhorse machine for peanuts.
And by doing it this way the smaller colour machine you get only needs to be set up and maintained for one basic task; printing covers. Whereas getting the used colour versant to print everything will probably be ok, but it puts more demands on what you need it to do quality wise

Hi.
I’ve taken on board what you have said but I don’t think we have the space/capital for two machines.

so we’re planning to print the 64 page bw on the versant. I take on board what you say about it causing issues, but as long as the supplier is happy to service it… I guess.

we haven’t seen samples yet but should have some back early next week.

clicks are coming in at 0.0045 bw and 0.0315 colour on a plan over 3 or 5 years.
Thanks again for keeping me right 👍
This is a big no-no. Don’t accept samples. Go there in person and see the machine print your own example files that you want to print on it, and see how they are made into booklets using the inline booklet maker

^^^ what @bcr says. No exceptions, no excuses, not even Covid-19. You take your files, your substrates, with you present seeing it from start to finish, warts & all. We did all this - this time last year - in the middle of the pandemic, all masked up, sanitiser, etc.
Think about it - if booklets intermittently come out anything less than perfect, they're not going to be included in any pack of samples you get sent, are they?

@Dan2122 for what you're looking at, I'd be wanting to run at least 50 booklets at the demo. Don't be surprised if the vendor brings up the B/W to CMY ratio as an issue too. Check if there's anything in the CED about expectations of mix, TBH I don't think saying "as long as the supplier is happy to service it" is really OK from either party's point of view. You'll sure be cursing it when you start getting poor quality colour covers coming out, as the whole booklet is then destined for recycling.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back