Variable Data Printing

We're going through some growth in providing variable data print, and we're finding more and more projects that completely outstrip Indesign's simple VDP capabilities. We're definitely hitting the 9,999 page limit in Indesign, as well as its propensity to bog down and often crash with increasing numbers of fields and records.

The projects that have killed Indesign have been a 60,000 record mailing with just address data, and a series of pieces that use 30-40 fields of data and have around 10,000 records each. Breaking the 60,000 piece project into 11 files sucked, and still took the better part of a day to merge and RIP to our Docutechs. The other project had to be broken into chunks of 500 and took the better part of a week to process. The catalyst for my search for better software is a 100,000 record project with 20-30 fields. I'm sure I'd have to budget 2 weeks of processing under Indesign, assuming I did nothing else in my work life.

So, our software needs to move up to the next level. It appears XMPie Udirect is about $3000, and PSM is $6000. We're Mac-based, so either seems like it would work there. Unfortunately, my boss is under some odd impression that good VDP software should be about $500.

Anyone have any impressions as to what the strengths and weaknesses of either product is? The $6000 pricetag of PSM is a pretty big weakness if I have a boss who thinks he'll be spending $500. ;-)

XMPIE doesn't have the limitations of InDesign's Data Merge.

If you use XMPIE for Dynamic Print to PDF, XMPIE will create merge records into the layout into a temporary, fat PS file (not into a new document). Then the PS file is processed and imposed into an optimized PDF file (thin). You can produce tens of thousands of records per hour this way without breaking a sweat. Even running a single instance, I've seen 20,000 rph in a font-intensive 7-switched layer document with small greyscale JPGs.

If you use something like PPML, the output time would be about the same as Optimized PDF. Using merge-able assets, PPML could be much quicker, but it doesn't have the flexibility as PDF.

I don't know current prices, but we could have bought the basic uCreate plug-in for Mac right around $2000 back in 2007. That's all we needed, along with Filemaker Pro for database processing and Windows software for USPS presorting.

I recently ran a complex 80-field job with 30+ layers, with a few EPS logos. I got 5,000 records per hour per CPU (20,000 rph total).

I used to run Fusion Pro Desktop. It was OK, but is nothing like XMPIE. One thing that swayed me from programs like Print Shop Mail, Planet Press, and Fusion Pro is that I must use a different layout program than the source document. That is, I'd basically have to rebuild the customer's VDP layout from InDesign into something like Fusion Pro. This added time to the job, and apps like Darwin and XMPIE function as plug-ins to Adobe InDesign. You just link to a data file, highlight the customer variable, and insert the field. All font formatting is maintained, so it's a huge time saver. I also get to use PREPRESS people for layout programming instead of DATA PROCESSING people, who often do not understand the nuances of print production. It's far easier to maintain the visual appearance of the VDP job if I have prepress people working it, and using the same tools the designer did.

XMPIE doesn't have the limitations of InDesign's Data Merge.

It has one significant limitation: price. Our quote from Xerox for a useable setup with the required maintenance agreement was just shy of $10,000. And that was as part of a bundle with a new machine (Docucolor 5000 AP).

Needless to say, out of the ballpark for a small shop.

Variable data printing

Variable data printing

Variable data printing, we haven’t started yet buy we will soon. We have a RICOH Pro C900 and haven’t bought the program yet. The RICOH rep. isn’t saying yet how much it is. Does anyone know? Also, is there an alternative?

regarding to the above requirement that is "Our needs are specifically for 8.5 x 11 or 11 x 17 duplex printing. Numbering, Address fields, etc. Minimal image fields."

many VDP software can satisfy, or can not satisfy. Numbering, address field seems simple. but if you want to list all of variables in the table alike, whan some variable item is blank, the rest can layout from bottom to upper or averagely. in that situation, it is not a simple making. The software must have blank filed processing logic functions.

Another further more requirement, if you want to layout field content into a fixed box. maybe you like to use fit-to-frame all the time or fittoframe when the text exceed the box...Sometimes, in order to scale the number to meet the customer's sample, such as X/Y scaling or font weight. you also need such function.

So it's better to show the sample and detail current requiremnt.

Hi,
We are using PSM as well and printing to Konica Minolta C6501 & C8000. I'm not familiar with other, and/or better programs, but what I really need to know is how to do OPI/APR with PSM. Everything I've read and tried fails. As it stands now, if I have a PSM doc with 3000 records, and a 6.8 MB EPS image placed, it makes a 21 GB file on the copier, and takes over a half hour to spool the first proof. Does anyone here know how to avoid this, by doing OPI/APR? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom.

Fusion Pro Desktop

Fusion Pro Desktop

Does anyone know if Fusion Pro Desktop can do OPI/APR? Thanks!

Hi, I was wondering if somebody could kindly help out. I usually do all VDP through indesign and use the VDP master / combine feature with our Docucolor 252. We are getting a new Ricoh machine in a week. So i'm unsure if the VDP master feature will be there or not.

I don't think we are pushing the borders of big mailers. Most we ever hit is 12,000. I did come across a problem the other day. Somebody asked me to replace <<name>> with Customer if the field is blank. So I couldn't find a way to code this with Indesign but could do it with MS Word using if else statements. Layout wise we always maximise the use of the sheet though. Couldn't get Microsoft Word to play nicely and reverted back to indesign. I went through manually after I merged the data and copied and pasted Customer where blank was. Though I only had to replace 80+ names I was worried about when this get's into larger numbers.

I'm wondering if there is anyway I could possible code this with indesign. That I have overlooked. Otherwise is there a good plugin or another way of achieving this?

Many thanks in advance.

Whether you're replacing <<name>> with the word "Customer" or the actual customer's company name, you would have to put it in the database under the "name" column where those blanks are. That's all I can think of right now. Best of luck.

Otherwise is there a good plugin or another way of achieving this?

I don't think ID's Data Merge can do this, so you could perform a Find/Change in the final InDesign doc where you find "Dear ," and replace with "Dear Customer,".

Otherwise, you'd have to get a true VDP solution such as FusionPro or something similar. Once you have a true VDP solution, you can write a rule that would basically say if the field "name" is empty, insert text "Customer", else insert value of field "name". Depending on the VDP software the syntax would vary but they all work in a similar fashion.

Excellent. I will speak with my bosses to see if we can get FusionPro - I have been referred to this program by a Konica Demo Person aswell. I think the find and change solution would work a treat. Although we do seem to be getting a lot more VDP than ever before and I can see it going up especially with the new machine we have coming in. Would this be useful with certain projects where we set up artwork that needs to be data driven? Many thanks for the info DCurry it's appreciated.

Although we do seem to be getting a lot more VDP than ever before and I can see it going up especially with the new machine we have coming in. Would this be useful with certain projects where we set up artwork that needs to be data driven?

Yes, you'll definitely want a true VDP package if this part of your business is growing. It doesn't take much for even a simple VDP job to require more power and options than ID's Design Merge can handle. There are several VDP packages out there, but FusionPro seems to give the most bang for the buck (check out a few options before deciding). Be prepared for a learning curve, though - it's not the most user-friendly interface and the really complex things require some knowledge of JavaScript. The nice thing is they have a great users forum to get help.

Thanks for the information. I do enjoy a bit of coding and I like learning new skills so I would look forward to that. I've pushed indesign to the point it's almost a standstill quite a few times now. Waiting for my machine to finish off it's chores. I think this is definitely the best path to go down. Thank you Dan I will do some research beforehand.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back