VDP Barcode Question

Happyprinter

Just getting started in the VDP side. Have several mailings under our belt now but have a question on barcoding. I have a customer that has a mailing list for postcards but would like the barcode also on the card to save them money. How do I add the code? Were do I get it?

Happyprinter,

At our facility we utilize Satori Software's Bulk Mailer program to generate barcodes for mailings, as well as run all the necessary address corrections and move updates. If you are just starting out with bulk mailing, I would suggest finding a local mailhouse to partner with. Then, as you become more comfortable with the regulations/requirements of bulk mailing you can start bringing the processing side in-house.

Oh Happyprinter, it it were only that easy. Impression is right, outsource to a letter shop / mail house for now. The IMB (Intelligent Mail Barcode) from the USPS contains more than just the delivery zip code & address. Embedded in the barcode is your "Mailer Identification Number", so, before implementing, you'll need to fill out a form from the USPS to request the assignment of your MID (Mailer ID). Once that has been accomplished, then you will need to procure a Postal Presort Package - Impression uses Satori's Bulk Mailer, we use BCC MailManager by Bell & Howell, but, there are several good packages out there. Desk top versions of presort software will average around $2,500 per year plus your bi-monthly updates. The presort software is necessary, because, also embedded in the barcode is the class of mail and it's sortation level. The presort software is also the vehicle through which the "character version" of the barcode will be generated and added to your mailing record. It will look something like this: "AAADTFTATATDFTFFTDAATTFTTDADDAFTDAAADTAFAFFAAFFTFDTFDTFFFATFTAADD". Then, finally, you can download the actual Barcode Font from the USPS's web site that will translate those characters into the actual barcode. However, before you can start using the barcode, you will need to present a sampling to your local USPS Business Mail Acceptance Unit for readability analysis and approval. I should also point out that there are myriad of somewhat complicated rules & regulations that must be followed (such as NCOA'ing the mail file, piece design, mail preparation, etc.) before you are permitted to process presorted automated (bar coded) mail.

You may be able to find a local mail house that's comfortable processing your data for you and returning the lists with barcodes and tray number fields added, along with the paperwork you'll need. You could then easily imprint the barcodes using the USPS barcode font (and imprint mail tray numbers as required), finish and tray the pieces and deliver them to your local USPS BMEU along with the corresponding paperwork.

You could also still use the old "PostNet" barcode which is much easier and the only information needed for the barcode is the zip, the plus 4, the delivery point barcode (last 2 digits of the street address house number) and the check digit (Modulus 10). HOWEVER, the old PostNet barcode will be discontinued on January 1, 2013, and all mailers will be required to use the new IMB, so, it would only be a temporary solution. But, it might buy you some time to start implementing the IMB.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back