Versant 280 Business Cards

NorwoodPress

So I have started to get into doing business cards ourselves now on my Versant 280. Does anyone else have registration issues when doing business cards on 400gsm silk? I know that 400gsm is at the limit of the printer stock. I can seem to do one side fine, but when doing the reverse it always seems to skew off. Usually 2 corners line up and then the other corners seem to some how skew. I have tried SIQA and manual adjustments, but can never seem to get it align. It's like a needle in a haystack going back and forth. The stock is always cut on the guillotine prior to printing at SRA3. Anyone willing to share their custom profile settings for this paper stock or guidance?

Attachments

• IMG_9062.jpeg
    IMG_9062.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3,509
I don’t run 400gsm, I top out at 350gsm. Anything higher and I would just send the job out to one of the big trade printers. Taking 30 minutes to register a small job just isn’t worth it for me, at least not since I’ve been fortunate enough to have plenty of work.

This is what I would try for 400gsm stock. I had issues in the past with using SIQA for heavier single sided calibrations, but figured out I was placing the sheet down wrong. Once I got that right it works well. It’s trickier for single sided SIQA because the marks are only on one side. Mark the back side of the sheet where the alignment marks and the boxes are and everything works well. If you get a message completed with error, then the sheet was most likely placed down using the wrong marks.
  1. Must be grain short
  2. Simplex only, reload for side 2
  3. Setup 2 profiles, 1 for 400gsm side 1 and one for 400gsm side 2
  4. Profile side one, use SIQA to align – 1 sided calibration, set coverage to 6 or higher
  5. Scan first with 1 black box on left (placed marks down on glass) and insert sheet so the lines with the 1 octagon near it line up with the edge of the black alignment sheet (you already marked the back of the sheet where these marks are).
  6. Scan again with the 2 black boxes on left (placed marks down on glass) and insert sheet so the lines with the 2 octagons near it line up with the edge of the black alignment sheet.
  7. Save your custom alignment
  8. Before going to the custom alignment for side 2 print one of your files for the business cards on one side only. This sheet is going to be used for side 2 alignment
  9. Set your paper to the custom paper for 400gsm side 2
  10. Reload the stock that you printed with the business card file image down
  11. Follow the same steps to align for side 2 as you did for side 1.
Hopefully this can get your registration closer for front to back.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back