Warning: Beware Automation Sedation

MailGuru

As we become more and more dependent on computers, technology, and automated processes, our common sense seems to be adversely affected. This is especially true of the younger millennial generation. Computers and the use of software to make us more efficient, overtime, has created a sense of trust that, “if the computer says it’s so, then, it must be correct.

A recent experience with one of our clients prompted me to write a quick educational piece about the dangers of relying too heavily on automated processes and, not enough on our own common sense.

This particular application is a trans-promotional, invoice-printing application for a large distributor. Weekly, they execute an automated scripting routine from their bookkeeping program that assembles and outputs an excel file that contains all their invoices for the week. That file is then sent to us for processing, printing, and mailing. We’ve been doing this job for them for about two years now. Weekly volumes are usually around 300 - 400 per week. About six months ago, that volume dropped to about 75 to 100 per week. Noticing the large disparity in volume, we notified the client immediately of the anomaly.

Notifications went out via data transmission reports, emails and finally person to person phone calls wherein we expressed our concern over their internal data pull process. This went on for a period of several weeks, and, we were eventually informed that “it is what it is”. That is what the scripting process is generating, so, it is correct.

Last week, the client found out that six months ago, one of their IT guys “tweaked” the automated scripting, and, we’ve only been getting about 25% of the weekly data feed. So, for the last six months, 75% of their invoices were not being generated and mailed. Since, they have corrected the deficiency, and, everything is back on track.

The lesson to be learned here is: Just because the computer says it’s correct, doesn’t necessarily make it so. Never lose sight of your own common sense. Don’t be lulled into a false sense of security just because it was generated by an automated process. Always take the time to back out and objectively look at the results and ask yourself: "Does that seem reasonable to you?" Don’t fall prey to being sedated by automation.

-Best

MailGuru

Last edited:
One of the things I ran into in automating workflows was this very problem. Automated checking/correcting does NOT mean that humans are no longer an essential part of the production process. Quality control is still the responsibility of humans.

While I absolutely agree with your central point I do not agree with your supportive arguments. The central problem with automation sedation is too much trust paired a lack of understanding of how things work and how to program (in the general sense). You did yourself and your customer a great service by using your common sense to see the sudden decrease in volume and questioning it.

This is especially true of the younger millennial generation.
I'm going to call you out as old. I am a millennial (born '86) and this is not at all unique to my generation. You're falling into that "this generation is lazy, useless and so much worse" thing that every generation seems to eventually think about newer ones. We're definitely generally headstrong and overly confident much like the boomers but common sense is not common no matter how old you are. Whoever coined the term certainly lacked common sense. :confused:;):confused::p

“if the computer says it’s so, then, it must be correct.”
Computers do what you tell them to do, no more and no less. This comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of how computers work and older generations seem to struggle with this much more than younger ones. I suggest that everyone read The Innovators by Walter Isaacson (amazon.com). There's a small part in there about Grace Hopper (wikipedia) when she was teaching mathematics. She would have students write essays explaining how something was done or how it worked. She not only graded them on the explanation but on the grammar, parlance and punctuation, etc. This is because clear and concise instruction and communication is every bit as important as the task itself. You can't apply the "just get it done" mentality to programming computers.

Last week, the client found out that six months ago, one of their IT guys “tweaked” the automated scripting, and, we’ve only been getting about 25% of the weekly data feed. So, for the last six months, 75% of their invoices were not being generated and mailed. Since, they have corrected the deficiency, and, everything is back on track.
Your client lacks sound procedures for testing and verification. You don't just make a quick change and make it "live". You test, review, test, review, test and verify. As any good former typesetter or typist knows - never review your own work. This is ever more critical when dealing with systems that deal with money and dangerous equipment.

Last edited:
What a coincidence! Just came across something relevant to this topic this morning!

I'm guessing we're gonna swallow a $7000 order because some designer copied & pasted a NAPA logo from another piece but didn't realize they copied the overprint attributes as well. The logo was being used in a section of the booklet. Enjoy!

GjXOoA0.jpg

EDIT: sorry about the formatting. I didn't have time.

Last edited:
What a coincidence! Just came across something relevant to this topic this morning!

I'm guessing we're gonna swallow a $7000 order because some designer copied & pasted a NAPA logo from another piece but didn't realize they copied the overprint attributes as well. The logo was being used in a section of the booklet. Enjoy!

GjXOoA0.jpg

Why not sell this on a "Green" angle? ;)

@chevalier

Yes, I'm old. I'm also a 40-year veteran computer programmer, so, I understand perfectly about what computers do, and, how they do them. What a lot of people do not understand is that a computer is nothing more than a worthless pile of electronics without programs to perform specific functions. Those programs are written by people (who are imperfect), and, operated by people (who are also imperfect).

I officially apologize for calling out "millennials". What I meant was, many of the younger people out there today, who were brought up in this higher level technology seems to take it for granted. Those of us who had to create the technology, know first hand all the sleepless nights, blood, sweat, and tears that go into creating a program that makes the end result look really simple (press a button, enter a command, and, voila! It executes). We know how frail and unreliable it can be at times.

Being a programmer, I know how complicated it is to attempt to forsee, and, account for all possible "ID-10T errors" (IDIOT) mistakes that an operator may attempt to do with your software, as well as any logic problems you, yourself as a programmer may have overlooked. Once a package is completed, we used to field test it and debug for at least 12-months before we were ready for distribution.

And, I agree that the client's testing and verification procedures for their query lacked the generally-accepted test/verify/test/verify standards.

All this emphasizes the need to use our own "reasonability checking" when using computers and software to perform tasks or queries. I kid you not, here in Orlando just last week was an article in the newspaper about a youngster following directions on his smartphone GPS that caused him to end up in a retention pond -- really!

-MailGuru

Last edited:
What a lot of people do not understand is that a computer is nothing more than a worthless pile of electronics without programs to perform specific functions. Those programs are written by people (who are imperfect), and, operated by people (who are also imperfect).
This is what makes "The Innovators" so informative. It really breaks it down for your average person from the beginnings in weaving to the modern software application.

All this emphasizes the need to use our own "reasonability checking" when using computers and software to perform tasks or queries. I kid you not, here in Orlando just last week was an article in the newspaper about a youngster following directions on his smartphone GPS that caused him to end up in a retention pond -- really!
Here's a scarier one (oregonelive.com) that I remember reading about. I'm sure a lot people remember the James Kim story (wikipedia) as well. My wife's 50 something old uncle was arguing with me the other day as to why I use a phone with google maps instead of a tomtom "it's the best, way better than google". It's because I can (and do) review the entire route and alternatives before I start driving.

One of the things I ran into in automating workflows was this very problem. Automated checking/correcting does NOT mean that humans are no longer an essential part of the production process. Quality control is still the responsibility of humans.

My company has actually gained cliental because we aren't fully automated.
One client has actually told us stories where they would approve a job with a fully automated workflow, to find out a week later that the job is still waiting to be plated because there were lo-res issues. Since it was fully automated, there was nobody to tell the client there was such an issue. Where if someone was on hand, they would be able to relay that information to the client in a more timely matter.

I'm going to call you out as old. I am a millennial (born '86) and this is not at all unique to my generation. You're falling into that "this generation is lazy, useless and so much worse" thing that every generation seems to eventually think about newer ones. We're definitely generally headstrong and overly confident much like the boomers but common sense is not common no matter how old you are. Whoever coined the term certainly lacked common sense. :confused:;):confused::p/QUOTE]

I am also (kind of) of the millennial gen ('82)-maybe less so than you, but I would say that as a whole, I think our generation is one of the last ones that had hard work and good ethics drilled into our brains from a young age, generally speaking, of course. IMHO, its the next gen after us that are lazy, have a sense of entitlement, and are dependent on computers, more often than not. Anyone born in the 90's and onward are the true sufferers of "this generation is lazy, useless and so much worse", although I disagree with that statement in its entirety.

A push button society long term will be bad, although I cannot and do not have the power to stop it.

RIP mankind. Matter of time.

D New Ink Man

My company has actually gained cliental because we aren't fully automated.
One client has actually told us stories where they would approve a job with a fully automated workflow, to find out a week later that the job is still waiting to be plated because there were lo-res issues. Since it was fully automated, there was nobody to tell the client there was such an issue. Where if someone was on hand, they would be able to relay that information to the client in a more timely matter.

An automated system that is not monitored is of little value. That wasn't an automation problem, that was a human and procedural problem. Those three are quite different. If the workflow is flawed or the humans are flawed in application of the workflow, as was in your example, the rest doesn't matter. Again, this wasn't an automation problem. Blame or praise needs to be applied to where it is merited.

An automated system that is not monitored is of little value. That wasn't an automation problem, that was a human and procedural problem. Those three are quite different. If the workflow is flawed or the humans are flawed in application of the workflow, as was in your example, the rest doesn't matter. Again, this wasn't an automation problem. Blame or praise needs to be applied to where it is merited.

I was going to make that point, also, but, got side-tracked with other things. If the automated workflow pushes problem jobs to a "wait queue" because there is something wrong, or, in some other way fails to execute the job because something is wrong, someone's responsibility (a human being) should be to clear those queues, resolve the issue, and put it back in production. All the automation in the world will not compensate for people who are either shirking their responsibilities, or, are too dense to recognize that 47 jobs went in, and only 46 were executed. Mmmmmm What happended to the other job?

-MailGuru

I am also (kind of) of the millennial gen ('82)-maybe less so than you, but I would say that as a whole, I think our generation is one of the last ones that had hard work and good ethics drilled into our brains from a young age, generally speaking, of course. IMHO, its the next gen after us that are lazy, have a sense of entitlement, and are dependent on computers, more often than not. Anyone born in the 90's and onward are the true sufferers of "this generation is lazy, useless and so much worse", although I disagree with that statement in its entirety.

You too are old sir. :p In all seriousness I'm not going to deny that I haven't had the same thought. A lot of GenZ (born after '00) stuff confuses the hell out of me and has convinced me that I am rapidly becoming a dinosaur.

The following is totally, absolutely, and completely off topic. Perhaps this will be informative if not at least entertaining. It's not meant to be a downer just a statement of the reality that I see before my eyes. I came up the "old way" (I started working 20 hours per week at age 15 and haven't taken more than 3 weeks off consecutively since) but also simultaneously attended university. I know the meaning of hard and undesirable work, diligence but have also had a computer at my disposal since I was 5 years old. I owned a walkman, a cd player, and an iPod when they were all new. I have always had the good life of the American middle class but despite my hard work, diligence and education I seriously struggle to live a life as good as my parents did at my age.

The entitlement thing is really interesting and it's perversely hilarious that the Boomers and GenX blame us for it because they created it, preached it and are now suffering the consequences. Generationally we were constantly told by our parents, teachers and figures of authority that we were special and that we could do anything we wanted. We were constantly told if we didn't graduate high school and go to a university we'd be delegated to a horrible life of running a fryer at McDonalds. But that if we graduated college (not in any specific program mind you) that life would be a paradise of milk and honey and we'd never have to take a shitty job or work for less than an upper middle class salary. Technical jobs or "trade" jobs were never mentioned as opportunities in my high school despite coming from a very rural and blue collar area.

While I was in college the Boomers and GenX crashed the economy by borrowing too much while simultaneously telling us to borrow our way though university. Add on the fact that globalization (what feels to the American middle class like a race to one behemoth global lower middle class ruled by tiny corporate oligarchy) is gutting the modern lifestyle expectations of the US worker built upon mid to late 20th century norms. Probably those are unsustainable but they did set our expectations. Boomers and GenX also expect us to pick up the bill for climate change, their healthcare, infrastructure rebuilding and their retirement welfare. It doesn't help they also let the government kill pensions through empowering Wall street sucking up a crazy amount of their retirement money through 401k. It also doesn't help they en masse borrowed and borrowed and borrowed and didn't bother to save for retirement. To top it all off they'll be damned if we are going to make any social progress like gay marriage, immigration reform, end the war on drugs, etc. 'cause when they're not busy bitching about us, holding on to jobs and fighting the future they go vote and we don't.

I don't buy the lazy bit. Most everyone my age I know wants to work and earn. They just aren't willing to take ~$20 an hour for an engineering position which requires a masters degree and government licensing when 2/3 of their income will be towards paying off student loan debt. They don't want to do inside sales and order entry when they educationally attained more in 4 years of business school than the CEO did with his MBA in the 90s. My sister-in-law (the absolute end of the millennial generation [born '99]) is actually at a public high school and has so much homework that I really don't believe that she could handle working a part time job (if she could find one) and keep up her grades. Her curriculum is also twice as hard as mine was (probably a good thing). When they get to university the amount of material covered is a paradigm shift or two more than what was covered only as a decade ago (we're figuring a lot of shit out a lot faster - hooray science!).

I'm very hard on the Boomers and GenX. They got to have all the sex without fear of AIDs, do all the drugs without fear of life imprisonment or a black mark against employment for life, and got the best music at its freshest. Then they borrowed their way through life and left us to pick up the bill and clean up the mess. We are a discouraged generation with a load on our plates that hasn't been seen since the Greatest Generation.

Would you be eager to work your ass off for some faceless corporation who'll lay you off without warning from your mediocre job that'll leave you living a lifestyle less than then one you were raised in? I don't let this keep me down but a lot of people do.

Last edited:
Wow!

I sincerely apologize for the mess we've left you in. Hey, but, I had a damn good time!!!!!!! :) LOL!

Seriously, life is what you make it, whether the world is working with you, or against you.

BTW: My parents were not wealthy (lower middle class/blue collar) I do not have a degree. Went to Junior College, but, never graduated. Pulled a 40-hr credit load, while working 40-hrs a week at a grocery store to not only pay for the tuition, but, to support a wife and 3 kids. Somewhere in between all those hours of working, going to junior college, and being a husband and father, I taught myself to program computers from technical reference manuals (if you know anything about tech manuals -- they are not conducive to teaching you anything. They're not designed that way.) Wrote my first full software system at the age of 21 (an abstrating and title system......which later became the industry standard of title systems). Provided a fairly good standard of living for my family (not rich, but, bills got paid, kids had clothes, etc.) working as a contract computer programmer and consultant. Could not work as an employee of IBM (you needed a college degree --- in --- something, anything), but, worked under contract to IBM to develope many of their applications. Could not afford to buy a house until I was in my early forties.

I could go on, but, my point is, life is what YOU make it. How bad do you want it? Are you willing to sacrifice partying and good times to get what you want?

I have nothing against college. But, nothing has "changed". If the Boomers tried to convince you that you will go nowhere without a college education, then shame on them -- they lied to you. A college degree, in, and of, itself is nothing but a piece of paper. It's what YOU do that makes a difference.

-Best

MailGuru

Last edited:
chevalier,

I don't know whether to vote for you as the next President in 2016 or call you a sour grape cry baby.

Life is what you make it; this statement still holds true through the passage of time.

You just have to be darn sure that the goals/targets you are shooting for are ones that you will be satisfied with once you reach the bull's eye. Even with that said, life still turns into somewhat of a crap shoot.

There are no guarantees. So please try to analyze where you came from, where you are at presently and what destination you want to get to. Please don't feel sorry for the time in which you were born in. Just make the BEST of things that you are empowered with. Count your blessings and God bless you.

Hope you take this the right way as inspiration and don't feel it contains any criticism. Chin up.

D Ink Man

@MailGuru
You're damn right. (ugh! that's a sweet Schwarzenegger gif below that doesn't embed properly - you'll have to click it to enjoy)
arnold-arm-wrestle-o.gif

My generation needs to suck it up and deal. I'm personally very glad to not to be fighting a war and a depression simultaneously like my grandparents did. Life's tough get tougher.

edit: I guess that didn't come off as cynically funny as I tried to make it. I am in no way personally discouraged or want an apology. It's just that you don't hear anyone stating the reality of the situation like this. Life continues to go well for me because my wife and I make it happen and keep striving. However, it is challenging to be surrounded by peers who are understandably very discouraged.

Last edited:
You too are old sir. :p In all seriousness I'm not going to deny that I haven't had the same thought. A lot of GenZ (born after '00) stuff confuses the hell out of me and has convinced me that I am rapidly becoming a dinosaur.

The following is totally, absolutely, and completely off topic. Perhaps this will be informative if not at least entertaining. It's not meant to be a downer just a statement of the reality that I see before my eyes. I came up the "old way" (I started working 20 hours per week at age 15 and haven't taken more than 3 weeks off consecutively since) but also simultaneously attended university. I know the meaning of hard and undesirable work, diligence but have also had a computer at my disposal since I was 5 years old. I owned a walkman, a cd player, and an iPod when they were all new. I have always had the good life of the American middle class but despite my hard work, diligence and education I seriously struggle to live a life as good as my parents did at my age.

The entitlement thing is really interesting and it's perversely hilarious that the Boomers and GenX blame us for it because they created it, preached it and are now suffering the consequences. Generationally we were constantly told by our parents, teachers and figures of authority that we were special and that we could do anything we wanted. We were constantly told if we didn't graduate high school and go to a university we'd be delegated to a horrible life of running a fryer at McDonalds. But that if we graduated college (not in any specific program mind you) that life would be a paradise of milk and honey and we'd never have to take a shitty job or work for less than an upper middle class salary. Technical jobs or "trade" jobs were never mentioned as opportunities in my high school despite coming from a very rural and blue collar area.

While I was in college the Boomers and GenX crashed the economy by borrowing too much while simultaneously telling us to borrow our way though university. Add on the fact that globalization (what feels to the American middle class like a race to one behemoth global lower middle class ruled by tiny corporate oligarchy) is gutting the modern lifestyle expectations of the US worker built upon mid to late 20th century norms. Probably those are unsustainable but they did set our expectations. Boomers and GenX also expect us to pick up the bill for climate change, their healthcare, infrastructure rebuilding and their retirement welfare. It doesn't help they also let the government kill pensions through empowering Wall street sucking up a crazy amount of their retirement money through 401k. It also doesn't help they en masse borrowed and borrowed and borrowed and didn't bother to save for retirement. To top it all off they'll be damned if we are going to make any social progress like gay marriage, immigration reform, end the war on drugs, etc. 'cause when they're not busy bitching about us, holding on to jobs and fighting the future they go vote and we don't.

I don't buy the lazy bit. Most everyone my age I know wants to work and earn. They just aren't willing to take ~$20 an hour for an engineering position which requires a masters degree and government licensing when 2/3 of their income will be towards paying off student loan debt. They don't want to do inside sales and order entry when they educationally attained more in 4 years of business school than the CEO did with his MBA in the 90s. My sister-in-law (the absolute end of the millennial generation [born '99]) is actually at a public high school and has so much homework that I really don't believe that she could handle working a part time job (if she could find one) and keep up her grades. Her curriculum is also twice as hard as mine was (probably a good thing). When they get to university the amount of material covered is a paradigm shift or two more than what was covered only as a decade ago (we're figuring a lot of shit out a lot faster - hooray science!).

I'm very hard on the Boomers and GenX. They got to have all the sex without fear of AIDs, do all the drugs without fear of life imprisonment or a black mark against employment for life, and got the best music at its freshest. Then they borrowed their way through life and left us to pick up the bill and clean up the mess. We are a discouraged generation with a load on our plates that hasn't been seen since the Greatest Generation.

Would you be eager to work your ass off for some faceless corporation who'll lay you off without warning from your mediocre job that'll leave you living a lifestyle less than then one you were raised in? I don't let this keep me down but a lot of people do.

First, I am a ma'am, not a sir. LOL
And second, while I agree with most of what you say, I also agree with MailGuru. It's very typical of GenX to blame all the gens before it. But one has to learn that blaming gets you nowhere. Be the change. Make the world (or at least your world) a better place because you're in it. Show the boomers what you got. In essence, shit or get off the pot.
;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back