Wasatch SoftRIP (Dual CMYK how?) Please Help!

NKL

Hello all,

I am pretty new at this,

I am currently using the Wasatch SoftRIP for my Epson 9880.
Under the profiles, I was not able to find one that enable Dual CMYK mode. (I was only able to find just single CMYK).

Is there a way to edit the profiles to use Dual CMYK?

The profile shouldn't know or care about the printer configuration; CMYK is CMYK, regardless of the printer setup, the number of actual inks used to produce the four colors. Those details are handled in the RIP. However, the results will be different, as in the dual mode on a 9880 you have no light inks. You cannot edit a profile to mimic this behavior; you must obtain or make a new profile for this mode, which also will of course require its own linearization file for the media you are printing on.

you must obtain or make a new profile for this mode, which also will of course require its own linearization file for the media you are printing on.

Thank you for your reply Mike,

My intentions is to print with 8 colours (C,M,Y,K,LC,LM,LK,LLK) for art reproduction and photography prints for some jobs, and with others (Dye Sublimation), print with Dual CMYK with Dye-Sublimation ink by swapping cartridges to CMYK in the LC,LM,LK,LLK cartridge slot.

So i will be swapping ink cartridges from time to time.

As mentioned from your quote above, How do I create a new profile for the dual CMYK mode?

Wasatch website has a pdf that shows the "custom inset tab" per instructions "http://www.wasatch.com/pdf/creatingCustomInksets.pdf".

Strangely, mine doesn't seem to have the "custom inkset tab" when i edit printer profiles for my 9880 (or even 4880)

I currently have the newest version 6.5.

thank you veryvery much for any advice, i've seem to be stuck with this situation.

Wasatch, Profiloing Dual CMYK

Wasatch, Profiloing Dual CMYK

Hi NKL,

In theory this is easy, but... First, recognize that a CMYK profile is a CMYK profile; it makes no difference how that CMYK is composed, e.g., whether light inks are used, two banks of CMYK, etc.--none of that info resides in the profile. So this is a straightforward case of CMYK profiling. But...

If you have an unusual set of inks and substrate you need to know how to set custom ink limits and linearize in your RIP. If you haven't done this before you may wish to get some expert assistance--it can be quite difficult. In addition, each RIP has its own wrinkles, and Wasatch is no exception. Also, this is dye sub, you say. This is another huge complication, as the end product is not the paper you're printing on, which is merely a transfer sheet, right? This is a triple-whammy, with many variables to contend with, including heat/humidity/time of the transfer, the measurability of the fabric, and so on. You may get some well-intended advice on this forum, but this is one situation when professional intervention is practically a necessity. You may contact me offline to discuss this further.

Best regards,

Mike Strickler
MSP Graphic Services
MSP Graphic Services: Prepress and Color Management

IDEAlliance G7 Expert
Certified Implementer for EFI, Caldera

Request codes

Request codes

Thank you for your reply Mike,

My intentions is to print with 8 colours (C,M,Y,K,LC,LM,LK,LLK) for art reproduction and photography prints for some jobs, and with others (Dye Sublimation), print with Dual CMYK with Dye-Sublimation ink by swapping cartridges to CMYK in the LC,LM,LK,LLK cartridge slot.

So i will be swapping ink cartridges from time to time.

As mentioned from your quote above, How do I create a new profile for the dual CMYK mode?

Wasatch website has a pdf that shows the "custom inset tab" per instructions "http://www.wasatch.com/pdf/creatingCustomInksets.pdf".

Strangely, mine doesn't seem to have the "custom inkset tab" when i edit printer profiles for my 9880 (or even 4880)

I currently have the newest version 6.5.

thank you veryvery much for any advice, i've seem to be stuck with this situation.

There are special codes you need to request to enable the custom inkset creator.
Call Wasatch to check pricing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back