Web Press "Step" program for registration?

4sight

Hello,
I am being asked to research a "program" or "Step" application to aid in web press registration. I am not familiar with any software solution.
I was brought a press sheet with misregistered KO type on a 4/C image. This is on 40# text. The problem will get worse with lighter weight paper.
I was told a "step" program would solve this issue. Does this sound remotely familiar to any "old school" web guys out there? Can you enlighten me?

Thanks for your input!

You print a register grid test form, scan it, then software adjust for any distortions (fan out).
I think Heidelberg has a version.

Wow.
Lots to unpack in this problem.
Gordo is correct.
Web press registration issues can and are machine and substrate specific.
If 'they' want you to solve the issue you mention with 'software' I would tell them that the issue needs to have exact parameters.
'It doesn't fit.' is not an exact parameter. The exact parameters are on the resultant out of register sheet.
And as you mention the sheet specifications change and the parameters change.
So in your efforts to quantify the parameters you will learn what you need to 'step' (this is not the correct term - I would use 'distort') to fix the issue.
Then you can research the options available to 'fix' it.
So if you've done the work to quantify the parameters then you can use software and OPERATOR JUDGEMENT to correct the problems.
No easy quick fix.
Good luck.

Sounds like you’re dealing with some paper roll stretch, or flare from unit to unit. It’s going to be especially noticeable on lighter weight stock and in knocked out images, and, once it appears, it’s usually consistent. I’ve seen where a ‘step’ program is indeed something that’s in the software of the plate output but you need to add it in there and select it before plating (the step term refers to a gradual increase in compensation from unit to unit). The good news is that it does actually make a difference and it should correct the problem.

Thank you so much for the info! I have some homework to do. So this application is installed on press or is this a prepress solution? Are the register test form grids something I need to acquire or create myself?

Last edited:
Hello 4sight,

Before we stray into the "Realms of ??????"
We need to know the following -
1) Heatset/Coldset Press? 2) How many Press Units? 3) What other ancillary equipment on the Press - Reelstand, Infeed. Dryer, Folder etc.

Regards, Alois

Thank you so much for the info! I have some homework to do. So this application is installed on press or is this a prepress solution? Are the register test form grids something I need to acquire or create myself?
It is prepress software solution. Which way is the register out? Lateral(web growth) or circumferential?
Most web offset printers prepress departments will have 'web growth' settings for different stocks and machines. This will compensate for the lateral register which the bussel wheels can not.
Circumferential register issues is different ball game. let us know.

Considering the wide variations in paper qualities companies choose to print on I can not see a one size fits all solution to this problem.

Hello all,
Sorry for the huge gap in communication, but I am back to this issue . . .
I am not up to speed on the terminology surrounding this. I am told I need to find a "step" program as the "bussle is max'd out". I am running a Harlequin 8.1 RIP for plating. Does anyone know what options are available for the Harlequin RIP? I am assuming this is where a "Web Growth" application would reside.
Any continued input is appreciated.

Hello all,
Sorry for the huge gap in communication, but I am back to this issue . . .
I am not up to speed on the terminology surrounding this. I am told I need to find a "step" program as the "bussle is max'd out". I am running a Harlequin 8.1 RIP for plating. Does anyone know what options are available for the Harlequin RIP? I am assuming this is where a "Web Growth" application would reside.
Any continued input is appreciated.
I'm not a web printer, but I have seen this setting in imposition software eg. Preps
That is where you are most likely to find it rather than in the rip itself

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back