What is a XEROX CHARGE COROTRON and what does it due

PrintingFools

We have been running our machine for awhile ( 1 mil clicks) and in all this time we have never replaced the CHARGE COROTRON .....nor has any tech.

Can anyone tell me what it does or what it is for?
Maybe it will help with some of our other image quality issues on this machine.
What are the signs of needed replacement?

I do have an extra one in our parts room.
XEROX DOCUCOLOR (242,252,260)

Thanks in advance.
p.s. we no longer use a xerox tech for service, did use for about 2 years.
SORRY for the word "DUE" ....the site wont let me go back in and correct the title

Sits on top of the black drum to create a charge on the drum. If it's dirty or something, you may notice lines in the black print on greyscales etc. We have one in stock, but have never fitted one as all new black drums have one fitted to them anyway, so everytime you replace the black drum you are putting a new charge corotron in as well. We find the drum itself fails before the corotron.

Thanks for answering that question. I'm approaching year three of my machine and have had that charge corotron sitting on my floor since the machine was installed. Never wanted to ask anyone for fear of asking a stupid question.:D

There is a corotron test sheet that is a 30% (or so) halftone of C,M,Y,K and a Composite (yellow is near impossible to see by itself). If the color bars are not printing out solid then you have a dirty corotron that can be replaced. If you print grey and see any kind of streaks of color this usually indicates a bad corotron.

Yea, I couldn't imagine going more then 100k on a corotron with the 8000. They hold up better on the 800, we get 300-400/corotron. But if you and your clients aren't printing many images or color sensitive work I can see why you could have over a million clicks without changing them. If all your printing is text it would be impossible to see a bad corotron.

Its also important to note that every time you change the black drum on the 250 family you are changing the corotron. It is attached to the black drum and comes already installed on the drum. So if your drum is due before the corotron you would never need to use your spare corotron unit.

Sits on top of the black drum to create a charge on the drum. If it's dirty or something, you may notice lines in the black print on greyscales etc. We have one in stock, but have never fitted one as all new black drums have one fitted to them anyway, so everytime you replace the black drum you are putting a new charge corotron in as well. We find the drum itself fails before the corotron.

I guess I should have read this before replying.

on our Xerox 700 we've had to replace the corotron a couple times when we noticed black screens looking muddy.

We have been running our machine for awhile ( 1 mil clicks) and in all this time we have never replaced the CHARGE COROTRON .....nor has any tech.

Thanks in advance.
SORRY for the word "DUE" ....the site wont let me go back in and correct the title

Hello,

I've replaced the XEROX 013R00630 Charge Corotron Cartridge. Now I'm having a problem resetting the counter back to 0.

Brian

Charge Corotron Cartridge reset

Charge Corotron Cartridge reset

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I've replaced the XEROX 013R00630 Charge Corotron Cartridge. Now I'm having a problem resetting the counter back to 0.

Brian

Hello,

Brian

What model machine do you have? If you have to replace the corotron, the machine knows you have a new one and you don't have to reset anything.

I used to replace our 7775's corotron when the black drum was at about 50% and the charge corotron displayed less than 5%, but our tech informed us that this should not have to be done, as the part had changed since the the machine was released, thus giving it twice the life. I do not know if this is true, but it seemed to be fine after he mentioned that.

I wish I had figures on how many impressions the corotrons were giving, but it seemed like I replaced the black drum every month or 3 weeks.

You should have a corotron/corona test sheet that will indicate which color(s) has an issue. If not you can make one using a 12x18 sheet with 40% tints of each CMYK and a 40% CMY tint. Repeat them at least 2 times on the sheet and run this whenever you think there is a problem.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back