What is the print industry standard for crop mark offset?

Interested to know what would you consier normal, scale pages horizontally from 0 to say 0.5% so that all edges of the trim box match.
AFAIK, no...

Move pages towards spine as they approach the centre (with exception of centrefold if it is a spread).
Move outer pages of the job away from spine
AFAIK (but i'm not completely sure, as I never used this feature), my little imposition software uses a combination of these 2 methods: it moves the inner pages towards the spine and the outer pages away from the spine... and leaves the middle flat untouched...

... so, for example, in a 36 pages saddle-stitch:
- on the 4 outer flats, pages from 1 to 8 and 29 to 36, the pages are moved away from the spine
- on the 5th flat, pages 9, 10, 27 and 28, the pages stay at their normal position
- on the 4 inner flats, pages from 11 to 26, the pages are moved towards the spine...

And if the 2 center pages (18-19 in a 36 pages booklet) are a spread, it's the shit, because the software removes a band in the middle of the spread :(

(total format will be 1-2 mm larger than ordered)
Generally, the trimmed format is the normal ordered format, and the thickness of the spine is compensated by a reduction of the trimmed-edge margin...

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back