What printer should I buy: iGen4 / Nexpress S2500 / Indigo 3500

Indigo is a variable data machine. If your looking for a digital press and do not plan to run mainly variable then Indigo is probably not for you. Click charges are very high and you are very limited on substrates you can print on most of which are pretty costly. Keeping color consistent from sheet to sheet on longer runs can be an issue. Climate conditions must be watched as well and keeping up with maintenance. As far as I am concerned there is not better quality digital machine then the Indigo but it dont come cheap.

We run a lot of short run jobs on indigos that aren't variable data, that doesn't have to be a requirement to own an indigo. The click charges on the indigo are competitive and one of the lowest ones out there. We have a location that does over 2 million a month on one machine meaning the machine has to be reliable and consistent for this to happen.

The indigo is in the same class as our other NexPresses and iGens all of which need to be placed in a controlled room if you want to maintain quality, for that matter even our KM C6500's and DocuColors are placed in controlled environments.

The indigo is in the same class as our other NexPresses and iGens all of which need to be placed in a controlled room if you want to maintain quality, for that matter even our KM C6500's and DocuColors are placed in controlled environments.

Someone give the brother an Amen! :D

You can't have these machines placed next to a press with spray powder and 90% humidity. They will run, but not well.

decisions

decisions

Dave have yo been able to decide which way you to go? I buy and sell pre-owned equipment .

I have an iGen3/110, but unfortunately it cannot print the flat screen tints, halftones, and duotones without artifacts. So I have the opportunity to choose between installing a new Nexpress S2500, and iGen4, or Indigo 3500.

I have received samples from all 3 devices and all look very good. My question to this forum is Color Consistency: Xerox has come out and stated that the iGen4 will match the very first sheet to the last. However, I have not heard anything from Kodak (Nexpress) or HP (Indigo).

Thanks for any light you can shed on this

Dave

Greetings,

If matching PMS 293 is a critical part of this monthly job, go with the Indigo 3500 with the 6 color Indichrome option. It's designed to expand the gamut into PMS colors and prints a decent 293. Also the 3500 is a solid, older model and should be more affordable.

Marko de Flandero

I have an iGen3/110, but unfortunately it cannot print the flat screen tints, halftones, and duotones without artifacts. So I have the opportunity to choose between installing a new Nexpress S2500, and iGen4, or Indigo 3500.

I have received samples from all 3 devices and all look very good. My question to this forum is Color Consistency: Xerox has come out and stated that the iGen4 will match the very first sheet to the last. However, I have not heard anything from Kodak (Nexpress) or HP (Indigo).

Thanks for any light you can shed on this

Dave
Hi
It is a must to see the IGEN3 and IGEN4. they have a new addition to the IGEN3 called the ACQS. This gives the IGEN3 most of the capabilities of the IGEN4.
Consistency is what was important to us. The others have no solution for consistency and I also heard the HP products have adherence issues. (toner scratches off)
Take care

I also heard the HP products have adherence issues. (toner scratches off)

I have done mailing tests with HP indigo printed product and offset printed with no UV coating or aqueous. The mailing results going through the post office were basically identical for both types of printing technologies.

Kodak

Kodak

Kodak as it does have a 5th color, great machine, as with all digital presses you need volume to run through it. IF you have volumes of 110K a month or lower go with a Ricoh C900 or a IKON CPP660. Best

I don't know how urgent this project is but I got non discolsed on a new product that Xerox is coming out with underneath the iGen that is supposed to be a market changing product. It was annouced a bit back: (Fuji Xerox to launch Color 1000 and Color 800 Presses in new year - Printing Industry News from WhatTheyThink), but I actually got some details on the machine - 2400x2400 dpi, no fuser oil and the print samples are unbelievable.

The KM 6500/6501, Ricoh C900 etc are not in that production class and from what I have seen running 100k+ a month on these products is not the sweet spot for volume with this equipment (more like half that). Maybe two of each of those products for the volume.

It would appear the KM C8000 will be released at the end of the month so maybe look at that. Resolution is the last thing to think about.

I hope not. 8-bit is far superior to 1-bit simulation. But lets not go there, this has been gone over too many times and just upsets everyone.

8-bit imaging is great. It just requires a whole bunch of other things to also be perfect, superior lasers and optics are just the beginning. Unfortunately, none of these can be found in consumer electronics devices, say, such as anything below iGen/Indigo5K+/Nexpress.

I would agree we should not get into the resolution arguement. But just to clear the record, it is 2400x2400 dpi 8 bit depth on this new engine using EA toner. Price point will come in significantly lower than iGen4 also so they are saying...

I would agree we should not get into the resolution arguement. But just to clear the record, it is 2400x2400 dpi 8 bit depth on this new engine using EA toner. Price point will come in significantly lower than iGen4 also so they are saying...

I would be surprised if this engine is 2400x2400x8 as one dot at this resolution is 10um and EA toner (at the moment) is 5.8um so it would be physically impossible to create 255 individual steps when you can't fit more that one toner particle on one dot.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back