Windows PC died. Need to run Onyx 7

Prestohps

Our windows xp computer died. We were running a Mimaki JV# 160 and gc 160 fx cutter using Onyx 7. We need to get up and running. We are trying to install Onyx 7 from our install discs on another PC running XP, but cannot get the install wizard to start. Any help? Or, any suggestions as to a alternative route to run the printers from a different program on a more contemporary PC?

Typically the way Onyx installs is that it first creates an Onyx_Install directory... somewhere.

If it has done that, see if you can find that directory. It should be on your C: drive, but sometimes Onyx has been known to drop it into some weird places. It also may be named Onyx7_Install or something like that.

But assuming it has created that directory, and you find it, open it and you should find a folder inside on the first level called Install. Inside that folder should be a file named install.exe.

If you can find that and click on it, it might do the trick and start the install for you.

Otherwise, this is something I could probably help with with either a remote-in, or a visit. Of course either one would have to be chargeable. I do have a copy of 7, but it's 7.3. I'd need your key number to see if it can run it.

As far as other options, you have to have a RIP to run that printer. Caldera, Fiery XF, Wasatch, whatever. It's a common machine and just about any RIP has a driver for it. The cutter as well. Also Mimaki gives away RasterLink with those machines when they sell them. Not sure if you could get a copy now or not.

Also at the moment Onyx is having a special where they'll upgrade any old copy of Onyx to the latest version -- Version 12 -- for the legacy price.

Might be a good time to do an upgrade and get a supported RIP.

Feel free to drop me a line if I can help.

[email protected]

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back