Workflow for a Small Shop

CSimpson

If the bulk of your four-color work is coming from Microsoft Office Programs and you intend to run some of it offset, what workflow would you suggest in order to handle black conversions for text and grays? Is there a simple solution independent from the RIP that is automated? Do any RIPs offer this function? Does certain workflow software offer this functionality? If so which is best at it? I would be driving one CTP and would have one 2-color press and one 4-color press.

If the bulk of your four-color work is coming from Microsoft Office Programs and you intend to run some of it offset, what workflow would you suggest in order to handle black conversions for text and grays? Is there a simple solution independent from the RIP that is automated?

One thing you should look at is Enfocus PitStop Pro and PitStop Server. You can easily automate the conversion of your blacks for word and other applications. This would then allow you to work it into any output rip and you'd get all the other benefits of PitStop.

I hope this helps!

Michael Reiher
Product Manager, Enfocus

Premedia Software just launched a new cloud-based preflight & file correction solution for small printers called FixMyPrintFile. It does exactly what you need and more. There's also no need to purchase and maintain hardware or software since it's in the cloud.

Feel free to drop me a private message if you have any questions

Regards,
Greg

Hi,

Most workflow software will help you with Office files to CTP, but the low/no budget answer, from my perspective is in two parts: 1) Output PDF files from MS Office programs... if this is proving problematic, print to file PS (postscript) and then drag-n-drop into Acrobat Distiller. (As mentioned above Pitstop is an excellent, if not cheap, addition) 2) Output to CTP: you need imposition software (Preps light maybe?) or set up you own templates in InDesign. Place your exported PDF files into your InDesign files and export that to PDF. Drag that to your CTP hotfolder, or print to your output device. Estabilsh your own best methods, document, review for improvments and standardize.

hopefully that was somewhat helpful.

Mark

PS - MS Office programs are notorious bugs from a prepress persepective. I've heard that "they just output bad code". I'm not sure if that is true or not, but I wouldn't be suprised. Try to work with your customer to keep it simple. Excel graphs and word art can drive you insane. If necessary, open in Illustrator, fix 'em up, and write EPS files, then bring 'em back in.

I would not THINK of trying to survive PDF workflows without PitStop. I cannot tell you how many hours per day/week/year I spend doctoring PDF files. While the price tag is not small, it's very easy to justify. You can achieve a total return on investment in a couple of jobs.

Would LOVE to try out PitStop Extreme, but I don't think I'll ever be able to convince folks of it's necessity.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back