Workshop not opening pdf after Mac upgrade

koloriten

Hello everyone.
Today we got new workstations in the shop. MacPros with 10.5.6. Everything installs fine, Workshop, Prooferclient and CS3. But when doubleclicking on a refined pdf in Workshop it doesn't open in Acrobat 7. I have ctrl-clicked and point it to Acrobat. Do we need to upgrade to Acrobat 8? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, I'm swedish so...
Regards Thomas

We recently had to revert to Tiger from Leopard for a similar reason. Acrobat would not fire up when double-clicking the pdf icon. However, ours was a little more involved. We use Acrobat 5 to enable the Prinergy Geometry Editor so we can check our page trim box, and it only appears to want to work when we use these programs on Tiger!

Not sure if a patch from Prinergy (maybe version 4?) or if it's something else that's causing the problem.

Thanks, man. The folks on the Prinergy support line suggested the same thing to my boss when he spoke with them. Glad to hear it's not just me! :)

Greetings,

I also had a problem such as yours using Prinergy 3.1.0.8 and a new iMac with Leopard. I discovered that if one opened the refined PDF file from the job>subpages, rather than trying to open it through Prinrgy, one was able to adjust traps, save and assigned to layout, and image without any problems. I am using Acrobat 8, not 7, but I do not think that should be a problem as I believe the problem is with Prinergy and Leopard not communicating correctly.

Hope this helps.

-Bill-

OtherHosts file

OtherHosts file

Have you tried editing your OtherHosts and SFMHOSTS FILES on your Prinergy Primary? First make a copy of them. Then open in notepad and add your AraxiVolumes from your job server.

;
; %ARAXI_HOME%\etc\otherhosts
;
; This file contains network access information for UNIX file servers
; and other file servers that are _not_ Windows NT machines running
; Services For Macintosh.
;
; This file is relevant only if there are Mac clients.
; Use of this file is controlled by the registry setting
; PFIL\Resolver\AllowLocalOtherHostsLookup, default 1 (enabled).

;
; Identical copies of this file must be maintained on the Prinergy
; primary server and on each Prinergy secondary server.
;
; This configuration file uses plain 7-bit ASCII characters.
; If any non-ASCII characters are necessary, use Java-style
; Unicode escape sequences, i.e. "\uNNNN".

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Machines (= hosts) that make one or more directories visible
; over the network to both Mac and NT machines are listed below
; in the [/etc/otherhosts] section.
;
; The format of each entry in the [/etc/otherhosts] section is:
;"MacZoneName:MacServerName"="NtServerName"
;
; The zone name should ALWAYS be specified to avoid ambiguity.
; Enclosing quotes are not strictly necessary.
; They are stripped if a matching begin/end pair is found.
;
[/etc/otherhosts]
"SOMEZONE:blatserver1"="NTBLATSERVER1"
"SOMEZONE:blatserver2"="NTBLATSERVER2"
"*:YourServer"="YourServer"

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; For each host listed above, we must list the host's directories that
; are visible over the network to both Mac and NT machines.
;
; Mac clients will use a Mac zone name and Mac server name for
; file access, and NT clients will use an NT server name for access.
;
; The [shares] section below contains these lists of network-visible directories.
; Each host's list is preceded by a line providing the host's NT server name
; in this format:
;NtHost="NtServerName"
;
; The format of each directory entry listed for a host is:
;"MacVolumeName"="NtShareName"
;
; The [shares] section below contains example entries for two servers whose
; NT machine names are NTBLATSERVER1 and NTBLATSERVER2. The shares belonging
; to NTBLATSERVER1 are listed first, followed by the NTBLATSERVER2 shares.
;
[shares]
NtHost="NTBLATSERVER1"
"MacVolumeA"="NTShareA"
"MacVolumeB"="NTShareB"
NtHost="NTBLATSERVER2"
"MacVolumeX"="NTShareX"
NTHost="YourServer"
"AraxiVolume1"="AraxiVolume1"
"AraxiVolume2"="AraxiVolume2"

The files are in \Prinergy\CreoAraxi\etc

Tom

I found that if I clicked on the page 6 or 8 times it would open....sometimes

Otherwise, I'd recommend going down to at least 10.5.5 (where I am now).

Only issue I have is the inability to add separations to a VPS back.

HTH,
Ron

I have everything working in 10.5.6 on all machines. I can have any Acrobat open(6-9) and PDF's open through Workshop. I think it is because of my previous reply. As far as VPS, if you select fronts and backs to open together, they open individually. But if you open the front then add the back, that works for me. I am running Prinergy 4.0.2.3

Tom

Tom,
In "OtherHosts" file, I'm unsure what is the "volume" and what is the "server." For instance, when establishing a connection from a Mac to the Primary, there is a "server" that we connect to with an ip address and within that, "volumes" to choose from, so I'm assuming that I would add that name as "AraxiVolume1" for example, but guess that "YourServer" would be the share name on the primary itself, right? The SFMHosts file already had an entry for the primary (only) but the Otherhosts file appears unedited so that's the one I'd like to try, but I was surprised to see "friggin'" in the unedited text of the file :)
Thanks.
Thanks.

Make a copy first. The red type in the previous reply is what you need to change. The actual name of your job server need to be where I have "YourServer" and then you put your AraxiVolume name where I put "AraxiVolume1"="AraxiVolume1" I have two ARAXI Volumes, that is why I have two in there.

Tom

[email protected]

from Mexico

from Mexico

we have the same problem in leopard, but we find the issue, is the update of the java in the mac, we contact our kodak provider and they tell us that we need to update our prinergy evo, ofcourse we don't do that because the cost is to much, so we use tiger and cancel the java update.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back