Xerox 240

pencilguy

I'm a small offset printer thinking of purchasing this machine.
I currently outsource my 4 color work which equates to $1000 per month.

Is this a good entry level machine?
What are the pros and cons of this machine?
What should I be paying for a click charge on this type of machine?
Any other valuable advise?

The 240 has been replaced with the 242 a few years ago. And the 242 has been phased out for this year. Xerox no longer builds it. The 252 is now the entry of the entry level "production" machines. And it's just as pricey, in fact the same price, as kirkreal suggested,
unless you are considering a used 240.

I just got a 252, 6 months ago after a year and a half of research. You say you farm out $1000 worth or printing per month. That's what I pay every month for my lease and click charges. Xerox has plenty of machines "below" the Docucolor series.

To answer your questions:

Yes, it's a good entry level machine. IF you have the volume to pay for it.

Pros- low operating cost, 13x19, customer replaceable units (CRU), wide choice of RIPs and accessories.
Cons- registration, acquisition cost, your friends will make fun of you because you because you drank the Xerox kool-aid.

Click charges should be below 7 cents per click for any size.

Other valuble advise? Digital is easier than offset but don't let that fool you. It has it's own challenges. You are wise to consider adding digital as the the experts say the most successful shops are the "hybrids". I'm an all digital shop that would love to add offset. But at only $3000 of work per month, that ain't paying for a press, CTP, and operator. Everyone tells me to stick with digital and keep farming out the offset. That advice could apply to you- find a shop with strong digital capabilities to send your work to and they could send you offset work. That's what I do with an offset shop.

In closing, I'd say stick with offset. I say this not having any clue about your operation, but spend your money on upgrading your current operation. People say that offset is dying and that may be reflected in the declining sales numbers in the industry, but I think it has more to do with printers not updating their technology. Offset will at least be relevant for awhile. Stay focused on that and sell the crap out of it! Don't spread yourself to thin.

Buuutttt.... there are some desktop model printers that do pretty good and they're cheap....

Keith

Boy, I think I spoke to much. Sorry for the long post.

Xerox 242

Xerox 242

Thanks for your advise... any suggestions on desktop printers that you would recommend that aren't as pricey?

The Xerox machine I'm looking at is a floor model 242 (demo machine). I'm being quoted $21,000 for the machine and a firey rip. It seems like a bargain... can anyone help?

Desktop Printer with Fiery

Desktop Printer with Fiery

Thanks for your advise... any suggestions on desktop printers that you would recommend that aren't as pricey?

The Xerox machine I'm looking at is a floor model 242 (demo machine). I'm being quoted $21,000 for the machine and a firey rip. It seems like a bargain... can anyone help?

pro930 - List price is $10,230 for this tabloid/A3 printer that features an embedded EFI Fiery System 8e controller with SmartRIP, as well as Pantone color calibration. OKI is positioning the systems as an alternative for high-quality, short-run color printing and variable data printing (VDP), with support for XMPie. The pro930 also supports a wide range of media substrates, including up to 190 lb. index stock, 12"x18" output, banners up to 12.9"x47.24", cling film, and magnetic media.

Excellent color, excellent media specs. I used to sell these before my company was bought and placed quite a few in the P4P market. Cost Per Page is a little high .09, however the best quality and flexibility on the market today.

Here is some more info: P4P Suites: Oki pro900DP Digital Color Press

21K for this machine seems spendy to me. We purchased a brand new 250 about 4 years ago for around 30K. Included hi-cap tray, and office finisher. I would recommend looking around for something with a better price-tag. For the volume you are planning on running I think this is probably the best machine series (240, 250, 252, 260). You probably don't need the external RIP though for the volume you say you're producing, we've used the bustled RIP and it gets the job done. You can still calibrate for color, create profiles (if you have the software), and manage jobs via Command WS. I belive you're looking at the best box of its class though but take some time to look around for the best deal. We've seen these offered by several other vendors who've taken them in on a trade to get their brand of equipment in the shop and they don't want a lot to get rid of them.

You could also look at some older equipment that may get you into the entry level like a Docucolor 12 which puts out pretty good quality. Along the same lines in terms of speed, I've seen several Canon C1 machines that have excellent reproduction quality for 10K. Only problem with dropping this low is the speed sucks.

I agree with the 0.07 for clicks (any size). I would even go so far as to say you could likely get a better rate. I believe most new Xerox equipment is going for anywhere between 0.045 and 0.049 so you could probably get something in the range of 0.06-0.07 for a used box.

Hi I am Rob I have a small printshop and I am in the same Boat
I am going to be looking at the Oki c9600 Printer. I hear it prints well and is pretty good on color and prints a few variety of different stocks and its not expensive at all. And it will do a 12 x 18 sheet with no problem.

Good Luck

We are a small print shop (1 colour litho). A few years ago we bought a DC240 & it has been a good buy. It is good for very short run colour but we still farm out some colour work. Runs of over a few hundred are not competitive compared to litho & there is also a quality issue of course. But laser printers are very good for very quick turnaround on pretty short runs. That sounds very restrictive but it is a definite market & it does mean you can provide a new service for existing customers which might stop them going elsewhere.

Mick
UK

Hello,
I'd like to jump in on this thread if I may as I can't find anywhere else to discuss the DC240!
I purchased mine refurbished about 6 weeks ago, it's a virtually un-used machine having only done less than 200k clicks, but I'm having awful problems with the registration and printing coming out "skewed". When I print a stack of card, then guillotine it down to size, the finished job is a right state due to the machine printing each page in a different position and at various angles, so jobs like business cards look as if they've been printed by some drunk!. I've had the Xerox engineers out about 5 times to try and sort it out but they don't seem to be getting anywhere and one even suggested I'm being too fussy and should be able to put up with it, according to him the tolerance is +/- 3mm, and it's "not a production machine", what good is that? Has anyone else had similar problems?
Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, but any tips or suggestions from fellow printers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

We got a used DC250 about 6 months ago, and have to say it is an excellent machine. We got it to replace an OKI C9650 which we had from new, and had nothing but problems with in the 6 months we had it. It was so bad, we got the dealer to take it back and end our contract. The OKI was sold to us as a real production machine, but in reality it is not. Colours are all over the place, colour registration was terrible, drums only last a fraction of their life and the service was a joke. I think the OKI has a place in offices, and maybe in P4P for banners and the like, but it is no good for day to day running.

I am in the UK, so not sure how prices compare, but we paid £9,000 for our refurbished DC250 with bustled rip and professional finisher. After running the OKI for 6 months, the DC250 has been a breath of fresh air. It has not been without its teething problems, but now we are getting to know how to run the machine, I am very happy with it. One of our customers is a print broker, and he keeps asking us how we get such amazing results from a 250. Things we have picked up are when running 130gsm gloss coated, you get a better print if you run on plain paper setting as opposed to coated. Also, when running business cards 21up on SRA3, the sheet to sheet registration was terrible, but running them 10up on SRA4 the registration is excellent. I know that means double the clicks, but the result really is good, and business cards are usually only in small quantities anyway. We only have the standard bypass feeder on our machine, which has minimal problems with skewing. We had the tech fit an uprated side guide kit to ours which keeps the guides in position and has virtually eliminated any skew problems we did have.

I would recommend getting a DC240/250 as long as the price is right on both the machine and the clicks. Having the machine on site so we can do jobs on tight turnarounds has helped us win business with many local companies.

Simon

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back