Xerox 242 prints - laminating full coverage problems

advicemedia

We are having some problems trying to laminate sheets that have full coverage, once we trim the sheets down the laminate peels off.
We have slowed down the laminating machine and up'ed the heat but its still a problem, has any body else experienced a similar problem? and come up with a solution.
This problem appears only on doing mat laminating.
The print are made on a Docucolor 242.

What laminator are you running? And what film?

Is my understanding (not from personal experience, just from talking to people who successfully laminate DC output) that you need 5-6 bar of pressure and digital (superstick basically, or micro-permeable) film.

Try PMing bondmaster, he'd know more about this stuff.

the laminator is "boway" and i used 3 set of mat film (artter(i think is pvc film 32 micron and POLIPROPILENA (BOPP)-28 micron) and a special film for digital printing(it is more sticky - 40 micron)). The last film it is more effective but is 4 time the price of a normal film.

i found this machine: Foliant Gemini C 400 and on there site they say " suitable mainly for laminating sheets printed on Xerox digital printing machines or for large amounts of allprinted material".

These machine use hydropneumatic pressure system, i think this is the "5-6 bar of pressure" that you talk about.

Anyone(that using xerox) use these laminating machine?or another machine that is suitable

We have been laminating Xerox output for years. The problem is fuser oil. We let the print sit for overnight before trying to laminate. We use ( D & K ) Superstick laminate that has a more aggressive glue for bonding to toner.

Hi advicemedia, sounds like your equipment should be capable of laminating Xerox stuff then. Again, not from experience, but make sure the pressure is good and high (I've talked to folks that do our lamination and it's very important that you got high pressure) as I said before, the figure I've heard is 5-6 bar.
Don't know about temperature, I'd assume pretty hot.

I'm not surprised that the good laminate is more expensive. That'll be because it works. Reprinting a job and letting down a customer costs more than doing it right the first time.

Very good advice from CTmang, let some of that oil evaporate away and life will be a lot easier. Bonds best to silk stock too, so always print on that.

Laminating output off of 242s, 250s, 700s, et cetera Xerox machines that don't use fuser oil with full coverage is going to difficult if not impossible. We had similar experiences when we were demo-ed a 700, and laminating our color work is pretty important to us...so needless to say we didn't buy one. We use super-sticky laminate and we can't do it. We can laminate off of older machines that do use fuser oil with general success as long as we let it sit for a few days.

My suggestion would be to print out many samples, try super-sticky laminate (yes it is more expensive, but if you can't laminate any digital color with the cheap stuff I guess it isn't so cheap then...) on your machine and send other samples off to your vendors and see if any of them can do it. I personally remember getting a fax from our vendors saying that they cannot laminate output off of any Xerox machine that uses the EA toner when those machines came out.

Although the DC240-260 don't use fuser oil per se - the toner does have a waxy substance embedded in it which does benefit from being left overnight. I just thought it was a bit pedantic pointing it out - because the gist is the same, leave it overnight and it laminates better.

Although we do not do the lamination ourselves, we regularly get output from a 240 and 260 laminated, from full coverage to very low coverage and there are rarely problems.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back