xerox 700 vs konica c7000

what area do you guys live in that have the Xerox 700 and are not getting tech support so quickly?

I'm in Orange County California and a tech is out the next day. 9 times out of 10 they use to show up the same day, but with the "new system" they have for fixing things it is now a next day thing.

The Midwest. Glad support is great in Orange County California!

Unfortunately, support has gone downhill with a different tech and manager.

Last edited:
From what I hear tech support is best in bigger cities because, more machines, more revenues in that area, hence, more/better support.

Besides all that, I am also looking into the Xerox 700, KM C7000 and the Canon ImageRunner Advance, as I am told these are all comparable. I seen them in action, but haven't had a chance to test my own stock. So far I am leaning towards Xerox, just from experience alone with this brand, it always seemed to be the best to me. To be honest though they all look pretty damn good from the demos I got. It's just hard to test consistency over a period of time. Also I need to compare the quality of coated and uncoated stock, as the Canon's uncoated print looks faded compared to the same image on coated stock.

My question is this, anyone know the difference in print quality for uncoated and coated stocks for these machines?

As these are all entry level type machines, they lose alot of features it seems to its bigger brothers, such as auto duplexing big stocks, because they, at least Xerox 700, is not made to handle it. Plus can you really compete in volume to an offset press at a certain point to justify not having to flip it over and manually duplex?

I was about to lean to an Indigo 3550 till I noticed the image size is under 18"! Talk about some bs...

the C7000 will duplex 300gsm according to the specs but will also do 350gsm according to experience.

Last edited:
On the Xerox 700 we auto-duplex all the way up to 110# Cover day in and day out. You just lie to it and tell it's 100#.
As far as service goes, they respond by phone within an hour and if we're down they'll be here within 4 hours. Of course there's that once in a great while exception. But overall, they respond.
We ran 246,000 clicks last month with only 3 service calls. 99% of the sheets were 12 x 18 or 13 x 19.

the Xerox 700 duplexes up to 220 gsm and I just checked, the KM up to 300gsm. You have to realize that the type of engines you are looking at have volume bandwith from 20k to 100k. If you mostly run 300 gsm this will effect this of course. How the product perform depends on the specific media you want to run. Here, the thickness is important. Some 300 gsm run (even some 350 gsm on a KM) and some 250 gsm will not based on their thickness. Make sure you get proof of your media runs before purchasing.

Regarding printing on pre printed offset media, all engines have more or less the same issues. The technology is, after all, all electophotography. Take into account:
* tighter service intervalls
* more cleaning (ink pollution and spray powder)
* faster wearing of parts (eg belts)
* engine adjustment needed (eg fusing temp)

The impact of printing on pre printed offset stocks on the machine is always a combination of ciscumstances: which ink is used, which media, which engine and which settings.

Make sure to get in writing by your supplier what the T&C's are!

Oce, the written specs are one thing, what the actual machine will do is another. We run our 700 auto-duplexing 300gsm day in and day out.

I can't agee more. This is exactly my message. Make sure your specific media runs well and you are fine. Also take into account that out of spec requirements are not covered in your service contract (or do you have a different experience?)

Out tech's and our salesman know we push the machine past the spec's and understand. We're lucky in that our operator is very good.

Why you guys argue about X700 & KM C7000, they are totally different ranking machine, X700 --- Toys only, KM C7000 -- Production type. If the price different not too much, no way to buy X700.

We just had a several files run at a KM training facility on a 8000. Color to Color registration was the worst I have ever seen. Trapping also the worst.
We thought that the KM8000 would be a step-up from the Xerox 700, but it sure didn't look like it on these files.

UPDATE:

We just received a new round of samples from another KM8000, the color to color registration was excellent, trapping was good, screens were excellent, solids were excellent. Way different from the first round. They found the problems and executed a 100% turnaround from the first round. The machine is a definate contender.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back