Xerox DocuColor 5000 versus DocuColor 7002/8002

Simple fact: Color drums on the 5000 suck.

Sometimes, like now, they just suck more.

Rob

Rob, what kind of media are you running the most and what kind of toner coverage?

We run a lot of gloss cover 80 & 100#, and at least 50-75% toner coverage (we print postcards). I'm wondering if this is a big contributing factor. Just curious if you're doing something similar.

Greetings JM

We run mostly 12 point card stock - uncoated Around 285 GSM

toner coverage is between 75 and 90 %

Double sided 12 x 18 sheets

Auto Duplex-ed

It ain't the paper.....

Xerox color drums just suck for the 5000

Sad, but true

:(

We have a high-cap statcker and cant even use it

Have to watch EVERY sheet as it comes out of the top tray.

Well the coated paper may be a problem...it would be on an office grade machine but sounds like it's just bad engineering. You could test run the same job but on 20lb bond paper. If they still "break" just as quick then it's not the paper.

Seems to me that the only problem is that you guys aren't getting a different machine or making enough stink about it. Are you paying for the drums or are you guys on a plan and Xerox covers them. Still, it would be annoying swapping parts out all the time.

Not sure what type the 5000 drums are but on my stuff you can wipe the drums with alcohol. Maybe the coated paper is leaving a film and effecting quality, charge, and transfer. Maybe wiping and removing film residue would help...you'd need to confirm that with Xerox though.

I have had coated card stock mess up drums and fusers though.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back