Xerox J75 Mottling Issue on Long Runs

PricelineNegotiator

Hey,

So, we've had this J75 since November of 2014 and have been very pleased with it so far. We do a lot runs that are 150 sheets or less, but often enough we run jobs that are ranging from 150 sheets to 10,000 sheets, typically booklets that are 3 - 25 signatures and 250-750 copies, color throughout. I am very distraught at how the machine handles longer runs, as we are having consistent mottling effects that can be noted throughout the run (first copy, 100th copy, 250th copy and last copy look different in regards to the mottle, but the color stays consistent). These booklets are usually run on Lynx 70# Text in the machine's "standard" mode, where it runs slower because of the heavier than 20# sheet. This also occurs on cover stock with runs of above 150 sheets, and will become very apparent as the machine gets into the 800 sheet range. The tech has been in numerous times to look at the issue, but he keeps throwing the blame back on us, to which we have placated each of his requests (add a humidifier next to the machine, different stock (Mohawk Color Copy Smooth for what it's worth), running it in standard mode and stock profiles). Nothing has really satisfied the issue and now I'm just getting fed up.

The issue appears similar to mottling, where on a high coverage area, something like a photo, the image seems to lose density longer into the run. Like the toner is drying out or the internal atmosphere of the machine is drying out. You can see the white of the paper through the image after a long time, but the first sheet out is as you would expect it to be. Now, this becomes an even more pressing issue as my business is growing quickly, but I am nowhere near justifying a Versant 2100 at this time. Runs of this length will be more and more commonplace. A machine of the J75's caliber should be able to handle this workload day in and day out 365 days a year. The drums are at 80%, the 2nd BTR was replaced not too long ago, and the fusers are religiously replaced each time we change the sheet size/size of the feeding edge. For what it's worth, the machine seems to be fine or at least heavy improvements the next morning.

At this point, I am willing to wait until the end of next week and then I will be talking to Xerox's Total Satisfaction group, or whatever it is called. This is one of my only gripes with the machine to be honest, so I'm really just looking for feedback from some people with more experience. I big thanks in advance for any kinds words of advice.

Sounds to me like a heat issue, if you let it sit for a couple hours and restart the job does it have the same printing issues on the first ones out?

That's what I have been feeling, also. The tech should be in in the next hour, I will see what is happening. Wonderings, did your J75 ever do this? What about KDW's C75?

That's what I have been feeling, also. The tech should be in in the next hour, I will see what is happening. Wonderings, did your J75 ever do this? What about KDW's C75?

I do not remember having this issue, it was generally consistent with colour, be it good or bad. I would definitely keep after Xerox on this, it should not be doing this. I have tried to erase most of my time using a J75 because of the numerous issues and headaches we had, the Versant 2100 is a dream!

The tech ordered the housings for each of the developers. I'll report back on Monday or Tuesday once I know more.

I appreciate your thought on the issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back