102 CD Roller settings

Pressmanscooter

Just installed a new set of rollers in one of my units. All the rollers ink up and wash up fine. But when I'm starting a new job, I can't get any ink on to the sheet. I have to really push my key settings and turn the ductor on for several revolutions. The unit will print light for several hundred sheets into the job, then the density will jump very high all at once.

It just seems like I'm not moving ink the way I should. I'm sure I overlooked something simple, but I don't know what it is. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

So we can assume everything was fine before the roller change. Without actually being able to see the ink unit It could well be your ink ductor has not been set properly. I'm sure you have double checked ink forms to plate? Did you do any work on the dampening rollers, have they been installed and set correctly.

Yes, everything was fine before the change out. Water form and pan were changed out too. Water speed slightly lower than before. I checked the ductor several times, and I get a nice 4mm stripe between the the ductor and barrel & ductor and oscillator.

I'm thinking the problem might be in the roller brackets above the form rollers. Sometime I wonder if one of the rollers is breaking contact when the forms drop. So when I open the keys way up, the ink film in the rollers is so heavy that it will starts to transfer. Still not to sure where to look.

id say you've either got a setting thats off and not making contact, a bent roller core/journal, or a low spot in one of the rollers.

A low spot on one of the rollers would localize the problem to one position across the sheet. But that is not what the OP is reporting.

Al

Sounds like too much water to me. Id start by cutting back water until you start to scum then bring it up till it runs clean

Thanks Cornish! It was in fact the ductor. When the new ductor was installed, the set of adjusting bolts that push the ductor against the oscillator were not "backed out" to accommodate the increased diameter of the new roller. So the adjusting bolts in one direction had the roller bound up against the roller in the other direction and it wasn't making good, consistent contact against the oscillator.

Thanks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back