Acrobat 8.12 and flattening

kaiserwilhelm

I have a 1.6 PDF that is unflattened. I have 2 computers - Both 10.5 with Acrobat 8.12 installed.
If I open it on computer I can see lines - like I would see on a flattened PDF.
If I open it on the other it views fine.
So, I thought it might be my monitor showing good. I have 3 monitors on my mac and all do NOT show the lines.
Then, I thought overprint preview. Nope, On on both.
So, I went to preferences. The only thing I really see is a button saying do I want to preview pdf x/a always, never, etc. Both are set the same to never.
Any ideas?
I am quite convinced that this is a preference setting somewhere in Acrobat.....

Son of a gun.
That was it.
Thanks a million.

BTW, in A9, are they going to make it easier to have automatic settings?
If I have to tell all of my customers to make sure and x and y off and z on, it is going to get old.

I don't think there is an auto button for those settings. The only thing auto in Acro 9 is overprint preview and I think it also has to be activated in preferences.

What preferences do you believe are appropriate on a document-by-document basis as opposed to be controlled by the end user?

Leonard,

I agree, that as a power user of Acrobat, I know where to look, and in fact, who to contact (this forum) when I need help.
I was wondering if A9 (or something in the future) would have a dummy proof button - ie, Hit this button and APPE will look like APPE.

What preferences do you believe are appropriate on a document-by-document basis as opposed to be controlled by the end user?

-------

Application preferences - which become document after document after document settings.
-
I will take this as an open invitation to state the obvious about several things:
-
- Acrobat should ALWAYS have "Overprint Preview" on by default.
If someone doesn't need it, or want it, let them turn it off.
It is far more a pain in the ass, for everyone, being off by default rather than on.

- Illustrator should ALWAYS have "Overprint Preview" on by default.
It is far more a pain in the ass, for everyone, being off by default rather than on.

- Illustrator should default to 300dpi "Document Raster Effects" - not 72.
(as well - Document Flattener Settings should default to "High"
even though this rarely matters anymore).

(These settings - as well as some pallet settings,
are not even held when built as a "Custom Workspace).

- Photoshop .pdf files should save with the proper extension.
The creator, or other, should not need to go into the file list and change it by hand.

- Illustrator should have a specific extension for Illustrator .pdf files.
It is ridiculous to check the properties of every .pdf to see if it can be worked with
(if/since it is, in fact, an Illustrator file).

Enough for one session.
The list goes on ....
maybe these are not preferences
but, as far as prepress pros go - they are.

MSD

I was wondering if A9 (or something in the future) would have a dummy proof button - ie, Hit this button and APPE will look like APPE.

Assuming you mean the Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE), then while Acrobat and APPE are based on the same rendering libraries, there are some differences due to the fact that our OEM's are able (and do) customize their implementations in various ways. Also, since APPE is tied ot a specific output device, while Acrobat is not - some features such as "halftoning" and the like don't exist.

BUT Acrobat 9 _IS_ APPE aware and can talk directly to a properly configured APPE implementation.

Check out Acrobat 9 - we've addressed this problem...

The creator, or other, should not need to go into the file list and change it by hand.

They do with CS3 and later...Can you tell me what you are experiencing that isn't working as expected?

It is ridiculous to check the properties of every .pdf to see if it can be worked with

It does - .ai. If you are going to continue editing the document, then saving it as an Illustrator file (.ai). When you're done editing and ready for distribution - then save it as PDF (and remove the embedded edit data).

Leonard

Will we ever see movable rulers in Acrobat? I know we have a measuring device already but being able to move the ruler zero origin would help a ton.

The origin of a PDF page is defined as the lower left corner of the physical page - you can't change that. Certainly, you could have a visual ruler that changes - but then I am not sure how the two would go together...

Can you give me some more info/uses for such a thing?

leonard, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator already have this feature. You can drag out the ruler origins to wherever you want. It helps with centering items that need to be moved among other things. And why can't the page origin be changed? It can be in Illustrator and InDesign. Lower left is the worst place to have it IMO. Centered would be better, upper left is the norm for most page-layout programs, but like I said they can be changed.

Last edited:
Everything can't be relative!
Please let us have some firm point to hold on to in the ever changing prepress world bottom left is a nice simple rule.
Why because dimensions are w=x & h=y. Look at any basic graph starts in botom left.

leonard, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator already have this feature. You can drag out the ruler origins to wherever you want. It helps with centering items that need to be moved among other things.

In the case of an author tool - I completely understand the need - no question.

I am trying to understand why you need it in Acrobat?

And why can't the page origin be changed?

PDF Specification (ISO 32000) says so...

-
Check out Acrobat 9 - we've addressed this problem...
-
I have heard about that and will see it soon enough, I am sure.
(Meanwhile - it will be a couple of years until many people ever upgrade to 1.8)
I also heard we still need to instruct people to turn the feature on - the first time.

-----

Quote:
-

They do with CS3 and later...Can you tell me what you are experiencing that isn't working as expected?
-
They do not - at least not in the Pacific Northwest.
I have never seen a Photoshop .pdf come out of Photoshop with the correct extension.
Yesterday, I tried on 6 MACS and 2 PCs with various levels of operating systems and
all the versions of CS software.
Then placing the Photoshop .pdf in InDesign and doing an "Edit Original" the file opens in Acrobat
and not Photoshop. When doing "Edit Image" in Acrobat, after exporting a page from InDy, - the file opens in Acrobat and not PS.
-----

Quote:
-
It does - .ai. If you are going to continue editing the document, then saving it as an Illustrator file (.ai). When you're done editing and ready for distribution - then save it as PDF (and remove the embedded edit data).
-
I process hundreds of customer PDFs every week. Many of them are saved directly from Illy.
Nearly all need extra work. Looking at the document properties to find it was made from Illy
lets me fairly sure I can re open the thing and work on it.
If you are saying that PDF should only be used for the "done deal"
why are we allowed to select specific layers when placing Illy PDFs into InDesign.
Adobe has very incorrect thinking if they think prepress departments
are receiving .ai files anymore.

MSD

How many formats do you want? A PDF is a PDF if it has the original application data on the side it is still a PDF. There are lotts of things to consider with a file fomat. You are asking for an Illustrator PDF and a Photoshop PDF with their own extension? Is that where to draw the line? Would you want PowerpointPDF, an InDesign PDF etc etc??
What software opens a link is partly due to the OS, You say you want to open the Photoshop PDF in Photoshop, but others may not? In CS4 you can choose "open with…" so you can decide if you want to open your pictures in another editor (I may want to open my screendumps in photoshop and not in paintbrush, or the camera software). Sometimes an Idea may sound great but if you look at the full consequences of your suggestion applied in a consistent manner, it would make your situation far more complex than it is today.

How many formats do you want? A PDF is a PDF if it has the original application data on the side it is still a PDF. There are lotts of things to consider with a file fomat. You are asking for an Illustrator PDF and a Photoshop PDF with their own extension? Is that where to draw the line? Would you want PowerpointPDF, an InDesign PDF etc etc??
What software opens a link is partly due to the OS, You say you want to open the Photoshop PDF in Photoshop, but others may not? In CS4 you can choose "open with…" so you can decide if you want to open your pictures in another editor (I may want to open my screendumps in photoshop and not in paintbrush, or the camera software). Sometimes an Idea may sound great but if you look at the full consequences of your suggestion applied in a consistent manner, it would make your situation far more complex than it is today.
-
You are missing the point ...

In INDESIGN click on a Photoshop PDF or Illustrator PDF
and do an "Edit Image" or "Edit Original".
It would be nice if the file would open in the proper application -
rather then with Acrobat -
so that you could actually edit it.

In ACROBAT click on a Photoshop PDF or Illustrator PDF
and do an "Edit Image" or "Edit Original".
It would be nice if the file would open in the proper application -
rather then with Acrobat -
so that you could actually edit it.
-
Adobe places these features in their applications -
I think it is only fair that they would give them
a fair chance of actually working.
Nothing more than that.
I really don't care all that much - it would just be nice.

MSD

PS - look at the list when doing a "Save as" to a Photoshop PDF on a PC --
the pdp file extension is listed right there
but
it is not placed on the file.

I have heard about that and will see it soon enough, I am sure.
(Meanwhile - it will be a couple of years until many people ever upgrade to 1.8)
I also heard we still need to instruct people to turn the feature on - the first time.

There is NOT, nor EVER WILL BE, a PDF 1.8.

I am referring the use of the Adobe Acrobat and Reader 9.0 software application with ANY version of PDF - though in the case of print production, PDF/X compliancy, is, of course, preferred.

There is no need to turn anything on - overprint is properly configured "out of the box".

They do not - at least not in the Pacific Northwest.
I have never seen a Photoshop .pdf come out of Photoshop with the correct extension.
Yesterday, I tried on 6 MACS and 2 PCs with various levels of operating systems and
all the versions of CS software.
We seem to have some miscommunication here...They come out as .pdf. What are you expecting?

Then placing the Photoshop .pdf in InDesign and doing an "Edit Original" the file opens in Acrobat
and not Photoshop. When doing "Edit Image" in Acrobat, after exporting a page from InDy, - the file opens in Acrobat and not PS.
Because a PDF is "owned" by Acrobat - NOT by Photoshop. That is correct.
Embedded images don't neccessarily have any info contained inside of them about how to "connect back" to the original authoring application - so we have to resort to using the application that you've chosen in your preferences.

Adobe Creative Suite 4 introduces extended metadata in all authored assets that will improve this in the future...

There is NOT, nor EVER WILL BE, a PDF 1.8.
--
They are changing the way the naming has seemed to work - sorry
--

I am referring the use of the Adobe Acrobat and Reader 9.0 software application with ANY version of PDF - though in the case of print production, PDF/X compliancy, is, of course, preferred.

There is no need to turn anything on - overprint is properly configured "out of the box".
--
That is great news.

-----

We seem to have some miscommunication here...They come out as .pdf. What are you expecting?
-
They should come out of Photoshop as .pdp -(just like is referred to in the Save as file list)

Because a PDF is "owned" by Acrobat - NOT by Photoshop. That is correct.
Embedded images don't neccessarily have any info contained inside of them about how to "connect back" to the original authoring application - so we have to resort to using the application that you've chosen in your preferences.
--
If the Photoshop file extension is changed to .pdp
the file DOES open using "Edit Original" and "Edit Image"
in other applications (inDesign or Acrobat) which is preferred - and of some actual use.
It would be nice if Illustrator had a similar "alternate" extension.
I don't mind changing the thing manually (even though it would be nice not to have to)
but Illy doesn't even have that option for us.

MSD

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back