Adding custom PPD's to Acrobat Pro

Bansheei

Hi there guys,

Adding custom PPD's in Layout programs is a common thing eg. Indesign etc...

But is it possible to load a PPD into Acrobat Pro.
We are using a postscript/OPI workflow and have a workflow specific PPD that we must use for postscript creation... But most of the files we receive are PDF's.
I want to open the supplied Pdfs in Acrobat and then save as postscript using the workflows PPD.

Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it (where do you load it into the system/acrobat)?

MAC - ?
Should be the same as any other PPD
Startup Hard Drive/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj

MSD

Adding custom PPD's in Layout programs is a common thing eg. Indesign etc...

Not in a modern PDF-based workflow it isn't...

We are using a postscript/OPI workflow and have a workflow specific PPD that we must use for postscript creation... But most of the files we receive are PDF's.
I want to open the supplied Pdfs in Acrobat and then save as postscript using the workflows PPD.

Does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it (where do you load it into the system/acrobat)?

It is NOT possible. When Acrobat generates Postscript, it does so in a device-independent manner (since the PDF itself is device-independent) and therefore has no need for a PPD.

Leonard

You can't "Save As" PostScript from Acrobat
and select any PPD desired?

I have used workflows where the "experts"
claim you must use their specific proprietary PPD
for the RIP.
This was years ago - and I found the claim to be untrue, anyway.
But ... that is another argument.

MSD

-----

It is NOT possible. When Acrobat generates Postscript, it does so in a device-independent manner (since the PDF itself is device-independent) and therefore has no need for a PPD.

You can't "Save As" PostScript from Acrobat
and select any PPD desired?

I have used workflows where the "experts"
claim you must use their specific proprietary PPD
for the RIP.
This was years ago - and I found the claim to be untrue, anyway.
But ... that is another argument.

MSD

-----

Actually, when Acrobat prints to a PostScript printer (as opposed to saving what is supposed to be a device-independent PostScript file), it does so based on the contents of the PPD file. Thus, if you have a driver instance setup based on a particular PPD file, Acrobat will generate the appropriate PostScript for that device based on language level and physical device capabilities stored in the PPD file. But defiinitions of such PostScript printer driver instances is not Acrobat-specific, but rather printer specific.

- Dov

Last edited:
Dov,

I wonder what you mean that definitions of such PostScript printer driver instances are OS-specific. I often use the ssicolor ppd supplied with Preps by Scenic Soft. Using it I am able to generate device independent separations where the built in Adobe Device Independent ppd does not permit it, and it works in both OS 9 and OS X. I believe this ppd works equally well in all versions of Windows.

Am I way off base here?

Al

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back