AGFA AccuSet 1000 density issue

tsinger

I'm trying to gain more information as to what is causing this problem. I ran several jobs through our AccuSet 1000 image setter. The first job that was imaged reads correctly, but the jobs behind it all read 25-30 percent lower on the density block. I have changed the fixer and developer, and the temps are correct. The reason I am convinced this is an image setter issue is because I noticed a hard line through one of the films that measured properly, almost as if the density dipped back down to 70 percent. Also, I ran a motor cleaning in hopes that it might work, but no such luck. Has anyone experienced this issue first-hand? I'm open to any and all feedback. Thanks.

hi could you remove a couple of meters film from cassette and expose to light then put through processor and check if film is dark and good density , this will tell you if processing conditions ok

So I understand your question better, when you say "reads 25-30 percent lower on the density block" you mean absolute density units and not some percentage (%). Instead of getting a Dmax = 4.0, you're only getting 3.7. (4.0 - .3 = 3.7).
Steve Suffoletto

Correct, Steve. This CTF stuff is still very new to me, so please bear with me.

After the film is developed, I use a density meter and check to make sure the film was exposed properly. The color blocks and solid areas are generally where I measure absolute density, and it appears to be 25 percent lower in that area. I hope that made sense!

Perhaps I’m using the wrong terminology when I refer to it as a density meter. It’s a tool that you can zero out and measure what percentage of light is passing through the film, 100 percent being absolute.

You should inspect closely and compare the Black Blocks visually on a light table and on top of each other.
Did the solid Black lose density and actually turn Grey?
Seems you are using a Transmission Densitometer, measuring Dot Percentage.
What make and model is it?
Does it have an integrated light table OR are you using a hand-held instrument and measure on a light table?

Am I correct in understanding that some of the measured "blocks" are correct and others no so much?
I the Accuset there is an all-angle prism that reflects the laser to the film, this can pick up dust and other debris rather easy, then the spinner mirror can also be dirty or it is going blind which will also bring this effect.

Correct, Repro_Pro. It's a densitometer that measures dot percentage on each negative. It's an X-Rite 361T.

Correct, Slammer. I imaged seven jobs in total (six negs for each job), and the first job processed fine. The following six were mostly bad, with the exception of about seven negs that randomly read proper exposure. The dark areas are reading zero, which leads me to believe that my chemicals are fine.

I ran a neg through this morning when I came in, and it appears to be fine. I'll do a few more and report back. I suppose this is just the nature of dealing with analog equipment in 2020.

Are you able to see a difference on a light table between a "good" film and the films that you measured and found to be lacking density?

First of all, check the density on daylight exposed piece of film to find a culprit: Accuset or film processor.

Unprocessed film reads zero, while film that has been exposed to daylight reads 100. I also ran blocks with 100 percent dot down to 0, increments of 5. The numbers are all over the place, but 70 percent is the most dot I can get.

Here’s a screenshot for reference. Dot values on the file are on the right, and the left side is what my densitometer is reading.

Attachments

• 1F263305-4746-4132-8E31-1935F5AEC509.jpeg
    1F263305-4746-4132-8E31-1935F5AEC509.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 453
I did. Here are my density readings on each block.

Attachments

• 488A9480-56A4-4FE2-BE68-420128D89587.jpeg
    488A9480-56A4-4FE2-BE68-420128D89587.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 424

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back