Alwan

Alwan is one of many ink optimisers. There are a number of products, from device link creation programs, and photoshop plugins.
Can't say why Alwan is better than other ink optimisers, but standard profiles have a high total ink and are sensitive to grey balance making ink optimisation, ink saving and device links a very hot topic at the moment.

Alwan does have a nice interface and excellent separation and purity options. But in my opinion, Alwan's biggest advantage is that its DVLs are dynamic. That is to say generated on the fly, rather than a static, purpose built DVL.... analyzing the source and destination then applying the transformation for each file/image. That's not to say that a static DVL could not have the same or even superior results, but the dynamic aspect allows for workflow advantages.

I just use Devicelinks and Apogee Colour to create them.
Have even done ICC to ICC conversion InRip, but that does not consider overprint, but worked well for that job.
Don't have InkDrive, wich is Agfas in-RIP on the fly DVL generator.

For us when we apply it is in the RIP (PDF Render TP) Should add that I am still doing this on a job basis, and monitoring, not quite happy to let it go on my default workflow yet.
But we usualy try to get the PDF to be created with a correct ICC so that it is not necessary.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back