Any issues?

sbriss

Is anybody had issues working with Indesign CS4 (with jobs created in CS3). Fonts, color profiles when printing...

PDF FPO OPI info gets wiped from Exported PDF's, altho EPS FPO's do work. Also an issue with rich black if it's used in a placed InDesign file. Go to Adobe's users forums for more about it that one.

Had problems with placed .psd files. It seems to strip a percentage of the original color from the file. Photoshop CS4 to Indy CS4???
Maybe just me though??

InDesign CS4 re sizing placed graphics

InDesign CS4 re sizing placed graphics

Anybody know the fix for the way ID CS4 resizes images/pdfs/graphics that are placed into a frame that currently has another graphic in it sized at 100%?

i.e. I'm replacing an existing graphic with a new one and for some reason, the new graphic resizes to something other than 100% even though the previous graphic is set to 100%.

Thanks,

John

the original image may have been placed using "Fit to frame". Select the image with the direct select tool, make sure you have the chain locked for aspect ratio and then select 100% from the sizing menu.

ah ha!

ah ha!

So according to a Adobe Partner Read Me Now document, the "problem" I asked about with imported graphics getting resized is a new "feature"...

The old CS3 default was to place objects at 100% size.

"CS4 now retains the size and aspect ratio of the image (isn't this the same as saying placing at 100%?) and keeps its proportions as you drag it to scale. This saves time during design, and ensures that the image is scaled proportionately, reducing output complications."

I wish they had asked me about that new "feature" because it's very concerning that when you place something into a frame, it might not be placed at 100% size. Like for instance, when we place a customer's 4x6 postcard PDF into a press layout and it's automatically resized to say 104% or maybe 98% (pick any number that's not visibly obvious)

Then you get a call from the customer asking why their pdf got resized on their printed piece...

Adobe please change this back or tell us how to over ride the feature...

Thanks,

John A

I have the update to CS4, but have not installed it yet. It just seems every time we update, we have more problems created after the update. So until we get clients that force us to use it to properly output their files, we will stay with CS3. Perhaps it's the ostrich in the hole mentality, but at least we're in bliss for the moment.

It is a feature :)

It is a feature :)

So according to a Adobe Partner Read Me Now document, the "problem" I asked about with imported graphics getting resized is a new "feature"...

The old CS3 default was to place objects at 100% size.

"CS4 now retains the size and aspect ratio of the image (isn't this the same as saying placing at 100%?) and keeps its proportions as you drag it to scale. This saves time during design, and ensures that the image is scaled proportionately, reducing output complications."

If it is a feature or a pain depends on your workflow. If you are talking a layout person placing images from a photographer if the image is scaled to 50% replacing it would want the new image at 50%. Today it is not like the old days, where somone did the layout and odered scanns for images at various sizes. Today you get the images and are asked to arrange them nicely on the page, most images are either overkill resoloution or web res.

Anybody know the fix for the way ID CS4 resizes images/pdfs/graphics that are placed into a frame that currently has another graphic in it sized at 100%?

i.e. I'm replacing an existing graphic with a new one and for some reason, the new graphic resizes to something other than 100% even though the previous graphic is set to 100%.

Thanks,

John

As some people said before, that is a new feature rather than a bug, and it's easly turned off in the preferences.

Just go to Preferences->File Handling, and clear the checkbox that says "Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking"

:)

Thanks for the answer!

Thanks for the answer!

Savage,

Thanks, I should have looked more closely before ranting (too much coffee that day I guess...)

Carry on.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back