ApogeeX and Epson 7880 Hex Dump

kjacobson

I am using an Epson 7880 for hi-res proofs out of ApogeeX and every now and then it will print out a hex dump... one time it did this overnight and it finished off a whole roll of paper. It kind of looks like postscript.

I am guessing it is coming from the agfa server but I cannot verify this.

I found online at Epson.com that you should be able to turnoff the cutter from the control panel and this might stop it but this model (7880) doesn't seem to have that option.

Any ideas on this one?

when loading the media you can disable the automatic cutting, simply by selecting the role mode on the control panel of the printer. However you would still end up with a complete wasted role ... but at least not as sheets.
I presume that in your network someone has installed a printer queue without the proper epson driver loaded (eg a PS-driver) but with a port pointed to the Epson, the Epson will see this as just text to printed and wasts your media ! If you can not find this queue a new IP adress will solve your problem ...

IMHO the problem came from wrong material settings: from the Control Panel or something PPD-based in your ApogeeX.
In case of sheet media selected and roll of paper installed, 7880 paper end sensor signal did not change, cutter disabled and paper advance motor was active up to the end of roll.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back