Avantra 44 error 64

I wouldn't be suprized if a lot of "wrong" hands touched that Avantra before Tony Blanco.
OK, let's leave spindle exchange error 36 for future investigation, but I'm 100% sure that's another slotted opto-sensor can not read the flag.
Tony, please write the number and gear box ratio from the label at Pittman motor, which rotates the supply spindle and tell us.

Hi Farshad. I also want to fix this problem, not to increase it.

I didn't touch the spindles, I only saw it has an incorrect behavior, and the distance between the rollers is different after select A or B, but I haven't touch them yet.
I didn't notice difference between 80 or 120 while I was watching the film run, I am not sure if the difference is visible, I have less experience than you and the others. My old parameters are contained on the table that is below and at first this Avantra worked using them, but now it is failing, one day it started to failed, for that reason I suspect someone touched this machine, but I am not sure, and nobody will say it.

Please Farshad, STS Tech and Vlad, my email is: [email protected] for sending files with parameters or something like that. I sent a PM to STS Tech because the email address that he gave me, failed on my email. I will follow your recommendation and Vlad also recommend the same, to do not touch the spindles until the parameters work right.

Please, could someone say me where can I find this value: SpdFwd Cur 50 30? or if it has another name. I attached the table of DEC Parameters , because using that you can see the values that came with this machine, but I cannot find this value on it.

Thanks all.

Tony Blanco

Last edited:
SpdFwd Cur 50 30
I think that means:
S-Spind Fwd Assist The supply spindle forward assist current, which is the
amount of current applied to the supply cassette revind
motors
in the forward direction. Used at the beginning of
all supply and image feeds. Default is 50 (fifty)).

SpdFwd Cur 50 30
I think that means:
S-Spind Fwd Assist The supply spindle forward assist current, which is the
amount of current applied to the supply cassette revind
motors
in the forward direction. Used at the beginning of
all supply and image feeds. Default is 50 (fifty)).

Tony, Vlad comment is confirmed! Take it easy and stay focused. How is the weather in Costa Rica?;)

I wouldn't be suprized if a lot of "wrong" hands touched that Avantra before Tony Blanco.
OK, let's leave spindle exchange error 36 for future investigation, but I'm 100% sure that's another slotted opto-sensor can not read the flag.
Tony, please write the number and gear box ratio from the label at Pittman motor, which rotates the supply spindle and tell us.

Wrong hands? I didn't know that!!!! I though how the hell the machine has so many problems. Now Tony is responsible for everybody's mistakes. We all know that! Ok. Tony I think I have to be a man now: My apology for being hard on you. At least I owe you this.

Hi Farshad. I also want to fix this problem, not to increase it.

I didn't touch the spindles, I only saw it has an incorrect behavior, and the distance between the rollers is different after select A or B, but I haven't touch them yet.
I didn't notice difference between 80 or 120 while I was watching the film run, I am not sure if the difference is visible, I have less experience than you and the others. My old parameters are contained on the table that is below and at first this Avantra worked using them, but now it is failing, one day it started to failed, for that reason I suspect someone touched this machine, but I am not sure, and nobody will say it.

Please Farshad, STS Tech and Vlad, my email is: [email protected] for sending files with parameters or something like that. I sent a PM to STS Tech because the email address that he gave me, failed on my email. I will follow your recommendation and Vlad also recommend the same, to do not touch the spindles until the parameters work right.

Please, could someone say me where can I find this value: SpdFwd Cur 50 30? or if it has another name. I attached the table of DEC Parameters , because using that you can see the values that came with this machine, but I cannot find this value on it.

Thanks all.

Tony Blanco
Tony,

Back to your connections to supply SDM:
Check the following sensors' wiring and connectors. By now you know how to check them. Make sure they are OK.

Attachments

• Connectors.jpg
    Connectors.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Hi All. Thanks for answering.

I will check the connections that you suggest Farshad, by the way the weather in Costa Rica is very well at this moment, we're in summer time. I will focused on the parameters and I will check the path of film based on your email Farshad. Thanks Vlad for feedback, on next monday I will write here the ratio of the Pittman motor.

Best regards

Tony Blanco

ALL,

Made a typing mistake. SpdFwd Cur should be SpdlFwd Assit and should be set to 30. From the video Tony send, it's not the speed of the motor, it's the amount of film being fed in the first part of the load process. What controls the length for film fed?
The areas I would be looking at are, Supply servo(motor, or Encoder) or the SDM bd.
Other area to look at is the DEC Parameters. Look at the screen shot that Tony posted,of Dec parameters. Under Dec (media)
second row look at the three Take up parameters that have garble data,with no values in them. This could cause problems later.

STSTech

Hi all!!!

I would like yo know what parameter or thing controls the amount of film that has to be feed into the drum prior to wait for flappers. I wonder if the jam wheel also counts this amount of film (it's only a question) I say, it could be a device for check. What do you think about?

On the other hand, STS Tech suggest to check out the encoder and servo motor.

First, I will follow your recommendations!!!

Thaks in advance.

Tony Blanco

Last edited:
That parameter is DEC parameter, but it is hidden against "on-field" changes.
I have checked again a few File Service Bulletines concerned new Av36/44 software releases:
As minimum twice AGFA changed that value, but we can not see that over Diag SW.
I'm 90% sure you have a lot of lost data in DEC parameters, including that "first feed" one.
You have to download again the file of DEC firmware 54.32 (and DSP params as well).

Jam wheel can't count anything, it's just for creating Media Jam error and you understand that.

Last edited:
Hi All.

Finally I fixed the problems on this Avantra.

I could do it following the reccomendations that all of you provide me.

Following the STS Tech, I exchanged the SDMs, I say, I put the takeup SDM on the supply SDM space then I put the supply SDM on Takeup SDM space.
I know I've exchange 4 SDM boards, for that reason it was an extrange decision, but reading the suggestions of STS, I was doubt if the supply SDM would be right. Then, after load the film at the right speed and the flappers working right, I understood there was a SDM bad, so I replaced the SDM that I put on TU space. These things are very rares.

But, the amount of film that runned into the drum, didn't reach the flappers,so I had to change the DEC parameter called "Extra Fd len." form 68 to 50 to get the right amount of film beneath the flappers to guide the film.

Also was necessary to follow the suggestions of Farshad, I had to align the flappers because the pressure that they applied was not enough and the film continued bending.

Then I had to align the sensors of the spindles because they caused problems to select the cassete and I couldn't load film until they was in the right position.

The film was loaded well, I cut some piece of film and then, they advanced to the processor without problems, but suddenly after pressing the CUT button on OCP, the signal of waiting for the processor was frozen, then I got an error 57. I turn off the processor, then I turn it on, and I saw some blinking red rare characters on screen and then it starts normal, but it is not communicated with the Avantra. OMG!!! This machine is crazy!!! But the processor is other story, the Avantra is finally fixed.

I will back there on next wednesday, I hope a day would be enough for the processor react, I need a miracle. If the processor doesn't work I thing I have to exchange any board on processor.

Thanks for helping me. I really appreciate your help because it was a hard problem on Avantra.

Best regards.

Tony Blanco

Last edited:
Extra Feed Length*** in tenths of an inch
The amount of extra feed after an initial load. Default is
70, which equals 7 inches. Increasing this value
increases the fed length.
So I'm in doubt.

Extra Feed Length*** in tenths of an inch
The amount of extra feed after an initial load. Default is
70, which equals 7 inches. Increasing this value
increases the fed length.
So I'm in doubt.

Vlad, I cannot understand that so I am in a doubt too, because I know that 70 in 7in on initial feed, but I increased this number to 80 to try to advance more and this Avantra advanced less amount of film. This Avantra is crazy!!! But it is loading the film well, for a while....:confused:

My new problem is the processor, but I think I have to change a Board. I will tell you about on wednesday.

Thanks a lot.

Tony Blanco

You will be happy just up to next problem (which will come pretty soon).
When I was young FSE, I've met the same situations and went back to my customers many times for final proper solution :(
Don't change the CPU processor board, just replace the one capacitor close to 5V stabilizer (5 pins , placed on black cooling sink)

Thanks Vlad for the suggestion.

On the other hand, I have to change the DEC parameter value called S-Spind Fwd Assist from 30 to 50, it improve the rewind of film. I forgot to tell you about.

Thanks a lot.

Tony Blanco

Forward assist - not to rewind the film! Rewind param is 255 - maximum value to remove the film back into cassette.
That's a current for small cassette motor to help to feed the film into the drum.

Good job Tony,

Take a short break and stay away from the machine for a few days, but you will need to come back to the machine. You aren't done yet! Actually it has just started. I also do not think other Tech people have caused all these problems. Problem is still there hidden somewhere. Find the cause of the the problem and KILL it.
Perhaps you have to check the supply Ac voltage now. Have you done that? I think in Costa Rica the voltage is
110 V Ac. What is the Line Voltage with respect to Null and ground? Have you checked the ground? How about the reciprocals? Have you bounded the equipment and the Rip computer together? What kind of Voltage protection have been used at input voltage? Are processor and the Engine using the same lines of voltages and fuses?

Last edited:
Tony,

Good job. Processor problem,check your Dev and Fix levels, machine was idle for so time.

STSTech

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back