Barcode

OSS

One of my customer needs to print receipt book with barcode numbers (10000) starts from 665851 to675850 with barcode..

can anyone suggest me which barcode generate 6 digit with barcode, we can add anynumber before this series like 00665851 ..

i uesd 2 of 5 but i need to generate 10000 barcode automatically how to do it , which software does..

regards

Last edited:
Before selecting a barcode, one must ensure that the end user’s barcode scanner can read the barcode! This means both selecting the appropriate type of barcode and performing a test print using the final output device/settings and scanning this using the client’s hardware/software.

Perhaps the simplest method is to use a barcode font, the Data 39 or Code 39 is a common choice, however can use up a good bit of space on a design. This “39” barcode requires a leading and trailing asterix * symbol, such as *1234567890*.

It is easy enough to setup via an InDesign data merge, using the barcode font and creating the start/end numbers in a spreadsheet (one can “drag out” to auto generate the numbers without typing them all in manually).

Another option is to use web to print software that automates this type of work, our Accura MIS customers do this with the AccuraOnline module and Forms Designer W2P modules.

EDIT: The AccuraOnline Web to Print system can create the following types of barcodes:

QR Code (including auto created vCard from contact data), Datamatrix, PDF417, 3 of 9, 128, 128a, 128b, 128c, USPS: POSTNET, USPS: Intelligent Mail, USPS: Planet, UPC-A, UPC-A +2, UPC-A +5, UPC-E, UPC-E +2, UPC-E +5.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Many of the hard-core mailers would say that generating a bar code with a font can be dangerous for several reasons, and that a true bar code-generating module should be used so the bar code is an image that can be precisely controlled.

Even an inexpensive InDesign plug-in like DesignMerge generates bar codes this way and it is much safer. If the only option for the software you use is to use a font, it's probably better to find one that at least gives you the option.

A simple 2-D (data-matrix) bar code can be used for a good variety of things and just a sequence number--as in your case--would be a good use of that.

Many of the hard-core mailers would say that generating a bar code with a font can be dangerous for several reasons, and that a true bar code-generating module should be used so the bar code is an image that can be precisely controlled.

Even an inexpensive InDesign plug-in like DesignMerge generates bar codes this way and it is much safer. If the only option for the software you use is to use a font, it's probably better to find one that at least gives you the option.

A simple 2-D (data-matrix) bar code can be used for a good variety of things and just a sequence number--as in your case--would be a good use of that.

dpolglaze, I agree that for mailing or packaging, a robust and professional vector bar code is usually a must have, this is best practice and a no brainer in these settings.

However for invoice/receipt books? It will all depend on the print quality and the barcode scanner hardware and software on what is acceptable.

Can you go into more detail on the potential problems of using a bar code font? I am interested in potential pitfalls. BWR is one that I can think of off hand. It is possible to outline a barcode font into vectors, so it only needs to be a font for the initial generation of the bar code.

Stephen Marsh

I guess it's just the "best practice" thing for me, although I do sometimes use a font for ease of use. Mostly the reason I would not suggest using a font is the same as all font issues that--even after all these years--still crop up at the worst possible moment. An image is just best, and an image that can be easily manipulated is even better. If you outline your bar code I guess that's okay as long as you have a static image--same bar code for every record--otherwise you're in for a lot of work if it doesn't read properly.

Dwight

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back