Booklet imposition, bleed and Quite Imposing

morry

Hi

I have a question about imposing booklets with bleed using Quite Imposing 1.6 Plus (an old version I know).

Let's say I have a PDF document which is A4 with 2mm bleed on all edges (214 x 301mm). I want to impose this into a saddle stitched booklet. Of course I don't need any bleed on the inside edges (where the fold will occur), only on the top, bottom, and outside edges. Ultimately I need an imposed PDF which is 424 x 301 mm (A3 with 2mm bleed) to send to the RIP.

Currently, I do this:

1) Crop 2mm off the left side of odd pages and 2mm off the right side of even pages in Acrobat to make the page size 212 x 301mm
2) Re-PDF (print to PDF from Acrobat) to a page size of 212 x 301mm (as this "crystallizes" the page size and removes the bleed information)
3) Use create booklet in Quite Imposing to make the booklet. There is no bleed information stored in the document and I don't need to define bleeds, everything works fine.

This method works fine and gives me a print ready file however it doesn't seem like it is the cleanest or best way of doing it.

I'd like to be able to skip steps 1 and 2 and just be able to define the bleeds in quite imposing then go straight to create booklet.

I've played around with trying different settings in the define bleeds window but when I create the booklet it's not correct. For example, in define bleeds I told it there was 2mm bleed on the left edges of the odd pages and 2mm bleed on the right edges of the even pages. However, when I created the booklet it took 4mm off the right side of the even pages and none off the odd pages (which gave me the correct page size but obviously took no bleed off the odd pages and 2mm too much off the even pages).

Could anyone assist me in the correct way of doing this?

If you need sample PDFs of the document please let me know

Cheers

Michael

Send me a sample PDF and I can send back a sample configuration file for Quite Imposing Plus or Quite Hot Imposing.

Hi Matt

Here's a sample file (just one I've dummied up for testing): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2324134/graphic1.pdf

Here's also a sample imposed file (that I've dummied up as well), this is what the final imposed file should look like:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2324134/Graphic2.pdf

The coloured strips on the side are the 2mm bleed, i've coloured them differently to check easily if everything works (obviously a real file wouldn't have coloured strips for bleed)

Thanks

Michael

Like this?

Attachments

• quite imposing sample processed.pdf
    9.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Untitled-1.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 269
99% right, only the page is 421.6mm (should be 424mm). Looks as though too much has disappeared from the centre of the imposed page (the two arrow points should touch each other). Thanks for your help so far

99% right, only the page is 421.6mm (should be 424mm). Looks as though too much has disappeared from the centre of the imposed page (the two arrow points should touch each other). Thanks for your help so far

I set it up for a .125 inch trim and shift, that's where it's coming from.

Ah i see, no worries.

Would you mind letting me know the settings?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Trim all odd pages on the left edge by .125" (bleed amount)
trim all even pages on the right by .125" (bleed amount)
impose as a booklet

Bleed

Bleed

I don't know about Quite Imposing 1.6 Plus but in Preps you can click on the imposed page - right click - a box will come up with the imposition settings on that box you select the additional settings button which opens another box. In that box you can set the bleed for all four sides of the pdf. Hope this helps.

Hi

I have a question about imposing booklets with bleed using Quite Imposing 1.6 Plus (an old version I know).

Let's say I have a PDF document which is A4 with 2mm bleed on all edges (214 x 301mm). I want to impose this into a saddle stitched booklet. Of course I don't need any bleed on the inside edges (where the fold will occur), only on the top, bottom, and outside edges. Ultimately I need an imposed PDF which is 424 x 301 mm (A3 with 2mm bleed) to send to the RIP.

I'd like to be able to skip steps 1 and 2 and just be able to define the bleeds in quite imposing then go straight to create booklet.

I've played around with trying different settings in the define bleeds window but when I create the booklet it's not correct. For example, in define bleeds I told it there was 2mm bleed on the left edges of the odd pages and 2mm bleed on the right edges of the even pages. However, when I created the booklet it took 4mm off the right side of the even pages and none off the odd pages (which gave me the correct page size but obviously took no bleed off the odd pages and 2mm too much off the even pages).

Michael

I'm curious... doesn't Quite Impose automatically trim bleeds from the inside spread gutters? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Michael

As I understand it, the "Create Booklet" function is fairly limited. We just using for imposing A5 pages onto A4s for copier output etc.

To do what you are describing is, however, pretty straightforward. We do it every day.

I'll assume that the bleeds are already defined within the initial PDF.

First "Shuffle pages for imposing": Groups of 4, Repeat = Saddle stitched, Rule = 4 1 2 3

Next impose "N-up", gutter = 0; add crop marks as required; sheet size as required; 1 row, 2 columns.

That's it.

You can then save this as an automation sequence for future re-use.

Chris Griffiths, StroudPrint

Hi guys

Thanks Matt, I've done what you've suggested and it works great :)

If there's another way to do it then feel free to discuss but I have the solution I was after.

Cheers

Hi, I am using Quite Imposing Plus 2, have followed the below procedure but struggle when getting to 'gutter=0' and always end up with the bleed between the imposed pages, how do I avoid this please?

As I understand it, the "Create Booklet" function is fairly limited. We just using for imposing A5 pages onto A4s for copier output etc.

To do what you are describing is, however, pretty straightforward. We do it every day.

I'll assume that the bleeds are already defined within the initial PDF.

First "Shuffle pages for imposing": Groups of 4, Repeat = Saddle stitched, Rule = 4 1 2 3

Next impose "N-up", gutter = 0; add crop marks as required; sheet size as required; 1 row, 2 columns.

That's it.

You can then save this as an automation sequence for future re-use.

Chris Griffiths, StroudPrint

No need to Shuffle/N-Up for a booklet. As long as the bleeds are defined, use Create Booklet.
Here's a PDF of screenshots showing the sequence.
If the bleeds are not defined, use the Define Bleeds first, then do the Create Booklet steps in the PDF.

Attachments

• Full Bleed Booklet.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 340
I do the same exact thing except on page 5 of the previous screen shot we pull the pages together at the center. Even if we have bleeds we just redifine after the booklet procedure.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back