C6500 Registration

A while back Random posted about the rubber registration roller being set to it's lightest setting by default and said that tightening it could help with registration. I pm'd him but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have any documentation to back this up?

I'm an end user and for some reason the local minolta techs are reluctant to try this for me. :(

Registration Roller

Registration Roller

The springs he reffered to are the on the registration roller. There are 3 settings however the 3rd position stretches the springs to far and damages them. I have it running on the second positon. I still fight registration issues. It fixes some of the problem but not all. I see the biggest issue when running coated stocks.
It only takes 10 minutes to do. I believe Konica specs indicate a .5 mm margin. I have yet to see this in reality.
Using a C6500 with 1.7 million on it.

A while back Random posted about the rubber registration roller being set to it's lightest setting by default and said that tightening it could help with registration. I pm'd him but haven't heard back yet. Does anyone have any documentation to back this up?

I'm an end user and for some reason the local minolta techs are reluctant to try this for me. :(

All our machines are set to max. Only time we have reg problems is if the stock is the wrong grain or my customer decides 350gsm is within spec. Tell you techs to stop being A-holes and do it.

We've been getting the run around for quite a while. There's an issue with getting the Creo updated to version 2 and we can't even get a new calibration strip for the densitometer. :rolleyes:

I can understand there reluctance to upgrade to Version 2 if they don't have the service pack as V2 on it's own is a knightmare. No problems after the service pack however. As for calibration strips you should have got one with the machine, otherwise they are 100's of dollars.

redridernl - Is your device a true KM 6500, or one provided by IKON?...This makes a big difference on the creo rip.

They shouldn't have any problem getting the service pack though, right?

We didn't get a strip with the machine and we didn't realize that it was supposed to have one at the time. I'm guessing that one of the people who set up the machine accidentally tossed it. Is it matched to the densitometer?

It is a Konica Minolta.

redridernl - if it was sold by IKON, you may have some issues, if it was sold by KM, then they should be upgrading you as you go.

The Calibration Strip - you would have to let me know if your looking for one for a specific densitometer, or simply the Creo rip and a matched densitometer, or?...

It's the XRite DTP34, it came with the Creo.

It is a leased unit from Konica Minolta. We have been trying to get them to do the upgrade since it was released. I can understand them being reluctant at first since there were some issues but it's been out for quite some time. They tried to tell me that it was of no use to us because we don't have the perfect binding unit... until I sent them a link outlining what is contained in the update.

I don't have any confidence in them at all.

If they are not upgrading the Creo Rip to SP2, along with any updates, then you should get on the horn with their servicing managers and complain. What they are doing is unacceptable. Note both KMBS and KMGI (who I work for) are different divisions of the same company, and work seperately. With the KMGI side mainly focused on CTP, and plate consumable sales, with a touch of digital sales to boot.

The Perfect Binding unit has nothing to do with whether or not you receive the update to the CREO rip, and should not reflect in the fact they need to do it. That being stated if they are referencing the Perfect Binder unit, are you sure (I am sure you are, but I have to ask) that your asking for the right item?

IE update to the creo rip, as opposed to an update to the firmware on the device itself?

I would put further upward pressure on the management of KMBS, and make sure they indeed get the update completed, it only takes about a half hour to an hour to complete, and should be a walk in fix. The next time they come in to do anything maintenece on the device I would suggest you not let them back out the door until the update is taken care of.

Mark

Version 2 of the Creo covers a wide gamut of bug fixes, updates, and improvements to all facets of your production, and should be installed. The move from 1 to 2... does take a bit longer, but still is a walk in fix. I would again put upward pressure on the management team at KMBS, and get this squared away ASAP.

Well, here's the rest of the story. We did eventually convince them to do the update about a month ago but they wanted my boss to sign an agreement stating that if we needed to go back to version 1 for any reason after the update we would have to pay for them to format the rip and set it up from scratch. My boss refused and it's been in limbo ever since. That came up because they said that the update might cause unforseen issues for us (another excuse to get out of it) and I basically said, what's the big deal, if it doesn't work just revert back to the way it was.

They just don't seem to want to do anything. One of the techs said that our software is too new and if we were using Windows 98 we wouldn't have any issues. :rolleyes:

Whatever they are smoking, I think I want some...Wow, simply wow...I guess there is a major difference in the way KMGI and KMBS does business..not to put our sister division down, but ... again simply wow..

Well for one, they should have supplied you with a Ver.1 disk when you bought the machine. Second, they are supplied this stuff FOC so aside from the labour you should not pay for a thing. Even then I would ask for a copy of the software so you can restore the machine in a disastor. If you can put a CD in a CD drive and reboot a computer you can reload a Creo.

Is there any updates after the initial V2 of the Creo? My techs don't bother informing me of patches and updates, etc.

Where can I get them?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back