Canon 810 vs 850

I have a 910 and recently got rid of 850 for a v900(7 million clicks 95% 11x17+)

- 810 has side fans on the large capacity trays, you can change strength of fans in the media settings (I recently upgraded my 850 to v900, ever since covid a lot of the coated stocks had too much static. ended up having to take side cover off on some jobs and using a hair dryer to manually take out static)
- 810 can do banner sized media
- Expect certain special parts on the 850 to take a week or two to be shipped in to you or the service company
- I would say the color consistency on the 850 is better than 810
-850 stopped doing cover weight after a few years
-810 has more consistent registration over runs, although either aren't great
-810 has double feed detection/ my 850 would sometimes somehow take multiple sheets at once(had it take 10 80# silk text at once) and not jam, creating a lot of headaches
-850 handled NCR paper very poorly
-810 will not let you assign custom sized media (ex 9x19) into any tray except the banner bypass. 850 will let you assign it to any of the large capacity trays

Overall I love these machines. I know some people on here hate their image presses, but the quality of the prints can't be beat by a Ricoh or Konica. I would just recommend getting some good training because these machines have a ton of settings to mess around with rather that be in the file properties or the media settings.

Would HIGHLY recommend getting a Prisma instead of a Fiery BTW

If you have any questions feel free to reach out

That's some great feedback @J_DVRS. Also worth noting is the 810/910 series fully supports up to 350gsm, while the 850 is limited to 300gsm with some approved heavier stocks. @J_DVRS , just curious, why do you prefer the Prisma over the Fiery controller?

I found a 850 with 580k on the counter for 9250. shipped or a 810 for slightly more. Just need to decide which one. I got a 750 now and I need to move up in the digital world.

I found a 850 with 580k on the counter for 9250. shipped or a 810 for slightly more. Just need to decide which one. I got a 750 now and I need to move up in the digital world.
Aside from the great reasons that @J_DVRS listed in favor of the 810, it would be wise to go with a newer model in any situation simply for the longer-term availability of parts and supplies.

That's some great feedback @J_DVRS. Also worth noting is the 810/910 series fully supports up to 350gsm, while the 850 is limited to 300gsm with some approved heavier stocks. @J_DVRS , just curious, why do you prefer the Prisma over the Fiery controller?
LOL maybe thats why my 850 stopped running cover weights after a few years... I was told by the salesman it was rated to do 350 but you could lie to it and get away with up to 400 gsm

I have a couple of Ricoh production machines (5310s) as well that have a Fiery, and I just find the Prisma to be a lot more user friendly. I am not too sure if the Fiery I have on the Ricoh's is the same for what Canon offers on the Fiery. I basically use my Ricoh's to do a reoccurring monthly job that takes about a week to do, and its the same set up each time, so I may not have the best understanding of what a Fiery can do, but I do know from talking to my service Techs that these Canon machines have a lot less bugs when powered by a Prisma. One of the main reasons I like the Prisma is for all the media settings, and the way you can manipulate color in the file properties. We have hundreds of customers, so the DocBox feature on the Prisma helps organize files. I am not a big fan of the Remote Manager interface on the Prisma, and prefer to do all my settings on the monitor connected to machine itself. The main thing I dislike about the Prisma is that it doesn't tell you how many black or color clicks each jobs has, you have to manually reset day counters, print a proof, and check the counter. I really wish I was smart enough to invent one that took the best features of both and combine.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend going with a v900 if you are able to. It is insanely fast even compared to the 910. Inline calibration works excellent on it, and Canon has fixed its registration problem with the sensing unit as well

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back