Canon V1000 - Anyone have one? How is it going?

I believe we might of had that problem very early on, but I vaguely remember my techs speaking with techs in New York and they had already solved the problem - it hasn’t come up again, and we are just shy of 1 mil impressions (mixed sizing)
I don’t have any experience with the spot colour problem, as we tend to leave that alone. The colours with the Prisma Controller have been bang on. We do a colour cal/shading cal before all large jobs (nice that it’s automatic) or leave on the auto cal as the job is running.
We did have problems with incorrectly set up media - that gave us some streaking. Also when running small media (8.5x11) with text weights we had increasing the cleaning interval. We do plenty of office docs, with folded sheets within, then job to a run of 12x18 120# cover stock. It’s in these transitions that the increased cleaning interval was implemented. Made a huge difference.
With 13x19, Canon only guarantees images within the 12.5x18.5 realm - that was a little upsetting as we liked to nest full-bleed 4x6 cards on a sheet.. but we just upped our trimming game. ;)
Unfortunately, we can’t relate to the envelope problems, or the backside printing issue - that is odd.
As for your speed slowdown of 12x18 stock, I really haven’t noticed or had it brought to my attention. I did notice that happening with heavy stock, light stock, tabbbed jobs. Just made a setting where all stocks are close in weights, and BAM! We had a similar issue with the KM’s, and it was a painful process to watch and wait for even if the weights were adjusted. These books now rip out ridiculously quick, with no degradation of quality.
I took the plunge, and purchased the PrismaPrepare software suite. It’s powerful and not cheap. Works with all of our Canon large and small format (which surprised Canon!) maybe that should be another thread.
As I’m writing this, a staff member mentioned that for one particular customer who is over the top with greyscale prints, we have to auto cal colours before every job. Without the auto cal functionality, I’d be yanking out the remaining hair on my head ;) We are trying to see if setting up his media to a G7 standard helps… but we all have one of these customers..

The one thing that gets me is the waste toner collectors - I can’t empty them myself. My techs have to do that. Seems a little silly.

I believe we might of had that problem very early on, but I vaguely remember my techs speaking with techs in New York and they had already solved the problem - it hasn’t come up again, and we are just shy of 1 mil impressions (mixed sizing)
I don’t have any experience with the spot colour problem, as we tend to leave that alone. The colours with the Prisma Controller have been bang on. We do a colour cal/shading cal before all large jobs (nice that it’s automatic) or leave on the auto cal as the job is running.
We did have problems with incorrectly set up media - that gave us some streaking. Also when running small media (8.5x11) with text weights we had increasing the cleaning interval. We do plenty of office docs, with folded sheets within, then job to a run of 12x18 120# cover stock. It’s in these transitions that the increased cleaning interval was implemented. Made a huge difference.
With 13x19, Canon only guarantees images within the 12.5x18.5 realm - that was a little upsetting as we liked to nest full-bleed 4x6 cards on a sheet.. but we just upped our trimming game. ;)
Unfortunately, we can’t relate to the envelope problems, or the backside printing issue - that is odd.
As for your speed slowdown of 12x18 stock, I really haven’t noticed or had it brought to my attention. I did notice that happening with heavy stock, light stock, tabbbed jobs. Just made a setting where all stocks are close in weights, and BAM! We had a similar issue with the KM’s, and it was a painful process to watch and wait for even if the weights were adjusted. These books now rip out ridiculously quick, with no degradation of quality.
I took the plunge, and purchased the PrismaPrepare software suite. It’s powerful and not cheap. Works with all of our Canon large and small format (which surprised Canon!) maybe that should be another thread.
As I’m writing this, a staff member mentioned that for one particular customer who is over the top with greyscale prints, we have to auto cal colours before every job. Without the auto cal functionality, I’d be yanking out the remaining hair on my head ;) We are trying to see if setting up his media to a G7 standard helps… but we all have one of these customers..

The one thing that gets me is the waste toner collectors - I can’t empty them myself. My techs have to do that. Seems a little silly.
Thanks for the info,

Fuser band walking is being blamed on a faulty sensor in the centering roller assembly. Tech walked me through the repair and it seems plausible. Time will tell, but Canon has instructed the tech to replace the entire roller and sensor assembly. Fingers crossed.

Spot color problem, is not really the color or issues with it lining up to the book and staying, it is the fact the machine needs to be restarted when a tweak to a spot color is made. Very time consuming. I do have the newest version of Prisma Sync and analyst and even Canon need to updated their lab machines to test.

Speed I believe is being artificially slowed because the sensing unit is in use. Machine seems to speed up a bit when the unit is turned off. Still working on getting my timing fully researched to actually determine.

13x19 is printing perfectly fine and at the sheet coverage that I expected.

Prisma Prepare is a beast and the document editing it can do is pretty nice. Been using it for many years, but 8.2 is blowing my mind.

No G7 for me, my operators have a hard enough time keeping up with standard calibration requirements.:ROFLMAO:

Our v1000 seems to have mostly settled into it's happy place. We don't seem to be having nearly the issues we were having with it when it first arrived.

Sensor swap seemed to have done the trick for the fuser band off center issue. Fuser band is exactly centered 20K 13x19 sheets later.

Spot color adjustment requiring a global change, therefore a restart every time is exhausting, but must be a glitch in the version of controller we are running. I have been told several times it is very new and even Canon demo and some next level support don't have the software yet to test. I will keep my eyes peeled. 26.1.90 (Mark 10.2) is our current version.

Sensing unit does slow the machine down whether on full time or intermittent. I would say 3-6 sheets per minute slower than advertised speed. Hard to place a hard number due to the machine constantly adjusting for quality on the stuff we run, but I have some clean numbers post total run time and it is lagging behind spec speeds. Not a deal breaking issue, but food for thought for folks who need to pump out the fastest speeds this machine can do.

New problem, tech is chasing a line showing up in the print when running any coated sheet. Pretty apparent and has been blamed on the cooling unit somehow, but we will see where this one goes.

My tech is top notch and is in tune with what we are trying to achieve with this engine.

New problem, tech is chasing a line showing up in the print when running any coated sheet. Pretty apparent and has been blamed on the cooling unit somehow, but we will see where this one goes.
Is the line showing up on the exact same spot on every print? We're having a similar problem on one of our Canon print engines but not the v1000 (c810). They've been chasing it for 5-6 weeks now.

Is the line showing up on the exact same spot on every print? We're having a similar problem on one of our Canon print engines but not the v1000 (c810). They've been chasing it for 5-6 weeks now.
I had same problem on my 910. I think they had to clean some lasers inside the fuser

I had same problem on my 910. I think they had to clean some lasers inside the fuser
Canon just went ahead and replaced the fuser band assembly and line went away. Have put 100,000 on it since and all print looks good. Tech said some stuff from factory can have problems.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back