changing a 4 colour gradient to a spot gradient

Activeman

Hi

I have a vector eps file that has a graduated tint in it. It is currently set up 4 colour process is there a straight forward way to make it 2 spot colours with out effecting the tinted gradient

Thanks

One other thing you could try, if your rip has this capability, is to see if you can pick the 2 dominant process colors used and remap these to 2 spot colors for output. Prinergy and Rampage can do this though I'm not sure if what you're using can.

One other thing you could try, if your rip has this capability, is to see if you can pick the 2 dominant process colors used and remap these to 2 spot colors for output. Prinergy and Rampage can do this though I'm not sure if what you're using can.

You can also do do this process that Streamlpress noted- then change the rest of your spot color material to those two process colors and only release the 2 plates. We have done this frequently because it can get a little messy playing with the spot colors in the graduated tints.

Phantasm CS pluggin for illustrator can also remap one colour to a spot colour.

I would not say t is always easy, it does depend on how the gradient looks. For mixing spot colours I find InDesign does have great support making it possible to mix one or more spot colours in a gradient. To do the same in Illustrator (without plugin it does mean using overprint or transparency to blend two spot colours)

Phantasm CS pluggin for illustrator can also remap one colour to a spot colour.

Thanks Lukas for the mention.

All you have to do using Adobe Illustrator with the Phantasm CS plugin is to select the gradient(s) and apply a Phantasm CS Duotone. A few clicks and it's done! You can also fine-tune each spot ink using curves to get the result you want.

Overview movie may be found here: www.astutegraphics.com/movies/8_duotone_tool.mov

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back