Consistent colour

Helllo I'm Jose from Spain, I'm a new member of Primt Planet and is a big pleasure.
I have a question. How many sheets do you need to grt a consistent or stable color?
Sorry for my bad English.
Thanks for your help.
Jose.

It mainly depends on a few basic things:

1) What make and model of offset press?
2) What tech is being utilized?
3) How dialed in is the press with ink/chemistry compatibility?
4) How well does the pressroom communicate with prepress?

Even with ideal circumstances and everything under control as much as possible, consistency and stability can still end up varying some from job to job. Sometimes the key is in not only knowing what you have, but also what you can (or can’t) do with it.

The short and most preferable answer to your original question is somewhere between 50-250 sheets.

Thats a very broad and subjective question Sir.

What is your process method to ensure that color is where you feel is right? Are you using a scanning device or hand held to measure color?

Can you give us a little more information about your shop (equipment, print application, color calibration, are you targeting visual or G7) ?

Hello, Sheetsqueezer
- The offset printer is a Mitsubishi V3000LS 5colors + Tower.
- it is conventional printing.
-Our measuring device is an in-line Intellitrax spectrophotometer
The press machine is very good adjustment rollers, ink/chemistry, blanket tensile ....erc I'm the responsible that making sure t are correct. I'm tge tesponsoble of colors curve.
The comunication betwen pressroom and pre press is excellent we are a good team we work in the same direction.

Thats a very broad and subjective question Sir.

What is your process method to ensure that color is where you feel is right? Are you using a scanning device or hand held to measure color?

Can you give us a little more information about your shop (equipment, print application, color calibration, are you targeting visual or G7) ?
Hello Asures, the process method that we use an in line Intellitrax and we works with ISO 12647-2 with Fogra 39 profile in the plotter and on the machine.

IMHO, there is no answer for your question. It depends on your jobs (artwork), the artwork with heavy ink coverage, it becomes stable faster than the low ink coverage artwork (in case your ink setting is correct).
Basically in my area, they could set the allowed waste sheets from 250 - 500 sheets per CMYK + 2 spot colors depends on run-length and quality of the jobs.
Hope this help!
DeltaE

I understand what you mean Delta E, our work is usually of very high quality, runs of 5000-6000 copies normally and CMYK normally without direct colours, your waste of sheets is very similar to ours.

Hello

If you have intellitrax you are already guaranteed that the waste will be low, as long as you maintain the system properly.

Also, the intellitrax system is continuously making inkwell corrections.

You could record a maximum number of sheets to know if what comes out of the machine is in tolerance.

Variation is the result of change, either known (ink key adjustments) or unknown. Variation is the opposite of consistency or stability. All should define a duration or period between sheets. A common interval is every 500 shts. Any press stoppage will immediately cause color variation since the delicate lithographic balance between ink & water has been disrupted by a disturbance. The closer your first makeready (MR) pull (sample/measurement) is to the target aim, the less time, sheets, effort, money is needed to get to the desired target aim. This is why CIP3-4 prepress ink key presets and a calibrated press-to-proof are so important. I think many older technology 40" sheetfed presses can achieve a color OK (close/good enough commercially acceptable color match) after 2 pulls of 200 sheets each.

Do you stop/restart the press between MR pulls or does your MR run steady at run speed and you get the OK on the fly?

Regardless of the technology and process, most decisions are ultimately a business/financial/productivity one, hopefully quality too.
It often comes down to a compromise or tradeoff between quality and cost. A closer match will need more time and paper which costs more. Was it estimated for, will the customer/market pay for it, am I making enough profit?

Variation is the result of change, either known (ink key adjustments) or unknown. Variation is the opposite of consistency or stability. All should define a duration or period between sheets. A common interval is every 500 shts. Any press stoppage will immediately cause color variation since the delicate lithographic balance between ink & water has been disrupted by a disturbance. The closer your first makeready (MR) pull (sample/measurement) is to the target aim, the less time, sheets, effort, money is needed to get to the desired target aim. This is why CIP3-4 prepress ink key presets and a calibrated press-to-proof are so important. I think many older technology 40" sheetfed presses can achieve a color OK (close/good enough commercially acceptable color match) after 2 pulls of 200 sheets each.

Do you stop/restart the press between MR pulls or does your MR run steady at run speed and you get the OK on the fly?

Regardless of the technology and process, most decisions are ultimately a business/financial/productivity one, hopefully quality too.
It often comes down to a compromise or tradeoff between quality and cost. A closer match will need more time and paper which costs more. Was it estimated for, will the customer/market pay for it, am I making enough profit?
Hello, yes I stop/restart the press between MR pulls, 3 or 4 times,We print 125 sheets each time aprox depending on the job.
I think Many of our jobs are not economically profitable

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back