Cracking Paper

P

pmkprog

We are printing digitally and we are having cracking issues when we fold our paper. We are using sappi flo gloss and sappi flo dull stock and it doesn't seem to matter which direction the grain is.
Is anyone else having this issue and if so, how did you fix it?
We are using a table top accucut die cutter that has scores in it and even thosse cracked.

We are printing digitally and we are having cracking issues when we fold our paper. We are using sappi flo gloss and sappi flo dull stock and it doesn't seem to matter which direction the grain is.
Is anyone else having this issue and if so, how did you fix it?
We are using a table top accucut die cutter that has scores in it and even thosse cracked.

We were having trouble with this yesterday as a matter of fact. It was a folder with the front panel flooded black, which of course cracked even after we creased it. Finally we were able to make a wider crease and hit it from both sides to alleviate the problem. We were running it wrong grain though since it was an 8.5x14 job.

Introduce HUMIDITY into your environment. Then, we can take it from there. D

We have the humidity hanging around 38 percent this time of year, but we have had things printed digitally cracking when it was at 45 percent.

There is a lot involved with proper folding on digital printed stock. Scoring the traditional way won't often work. Cover stock that is digitally printed needs to be Creased or Channel Scored. Using a Creaser will keep the fibers from breaking which causes the cracking. Traditional scoring methods break the fibers of the paper. The other method of Channel scoring works good. We do this on a Letter press with great results... although its time consuming/labor intense.

Without having a letter press is there other ways to create the channel score effect?

pmkprog,

Another suggestion here after what has already been offered.

Have you tried an alternate substrate of the same basis weight and finish as the sappi flo's respectively?

It would be certainly worthwhile to cut some into your next job, even if you are married to the sappis' and don't have a choice. Then if successful, and the cracking is allieviated, you will have good testimony and allegation for your paper rep.

D

Did get some sample of other digital stocks and it appears we are getting the same issues with those also. Grain doesn't seem to matter too much.

That's a great little machine and we bought one to play with earlier in the year. It doesn't create a crease that is strong enough to stop cracking on digital print. Sorry, but that's a limitation due to the amount of pressure it can produce.

Remember, the Accucut is basically a hobby level machine. It's not designed for, or robust enough for a commercial environment.

The best solution is to buy a matrix creaser, there are plenty of hand operated or automatic ones on the market.

If you have a platen or a cylinder then they can produce much more complex crease (and cut) patterns, but the setup is more time consuming and consumes a fair few extras. Having said that, our windmill can be set up in 20 sheets or less, so that's not too bad, but of course is limited in sheet size.

It wouldn't hurt to call your digital machine tech. While not required to provide advice on stuff like this, if he's got any experience, he might know of other clients who have solved this problem and can tell you how they did it. He might also be able to tell you how to tweak fuser settings or something to help this issue.

Fwiw

Fwiw

I can't speak to issues with cracking at the fold in regards to digital printing.

With regard to sheetfed offset lithography, when all else failed, we would send the job out to be "Heat Scored". It always seemed to work effectively.

The last resort
MH/CP - Just Say "No" to Cracks

OT

Looking this thread over, I don't see mention of which side of the sheet is receiving the score.

So, at the risk of saying what is obvious to some of us who come from a letterpress background: make sure that your score, if a single score, is striking the outside of the fold rather than the inside, to make a set of hinges rather than a smash.

Without having a letter press is there other ways to create the channel score effect?

Yes, you can come up with a reasonable channel score by running 2 scores in close register separated by about 1/32"-1/16" (1mm) or so (depending on thickness of paper). This will give you a double hinge score, which may solve your problem.

Another trick that I have used on very short runs is to run a very lightly dampened cloth over where the score will hit. (Obviously, check to see that it works before you waste a job. :) ) Often, the increased moisture in the paper will be all you need.

Also, consider using an uncoated, smooth finish sheet.

And of course... avoid a crisp fold.

As you have probably guessed, your problem is made worse than it could be because you are running digitally. Adhesion of toner to sheets is usually much more fragile than ink staining.

This actually can be an opportunity for you to upsell the job from digital to presswork. Never forget that option. You're in business to make money from what you produce.

Last edited:
That's a great little machine and we bought one to play with earlier in the year. It doesn't create a crease that is strong enough to stop cracking on digital print. Sorry, but that's a limitation due to the amount of pressure it can produce.

Remember, the Accucut is basically a hobby level machine. It's not designed for, or robust enough for a commercial environment.

The best solution is to buy a matrix creaser, there are plenty of hand operated or automatic ones on the market.

If you have a platen or a cylinder then they can produce much more complex crease (and cut) patterns, but the setup is more time consuming and consumes a fair few extras. Having said that, our windmill can be set up in 20 sheets or less, so that's not too bad, but of course is limited in sheet size.

Best machine for my money? in a smaller print shop, where cost, space, and major machinery are all at a minimum? Morgana DigiFold.
DigiFold Pro - Paper creasing or folding equipment
Morgana makes a great product and has dozens of CAPABLE servicing dealers across the country.

Best machine for my money? in a smaller print shop, where cost, space, and major machinery are all at a minimum? Morgana DigiFold.
DigiFold Pro - Paper creasing or folding equipment
Morgana makes a great product and has dozens of CAPABLE servicing dealers across the country.

Have to disagree there mate, we have a digifold, its pretty average and breaks down all the time, they are not what they appear to be in the advertising. A cylinder or platten which is cheaper than a new morgano will do a better job, but, slower to set up.

Have to disagree there mate, we have a digifold, its pretty average and breaks down all the time, they are not what they appear to be in the advertising. A cylinder or platten which is cheaper than a new morgano will do a better job, but, slower to set up.

I do agree with Cosmo. The Digifold is a "cute" machine and does work, but they do tend to wear and require more repair and upkeep. They do the job intended which is for shortrun jobs and offer fast setup and can add a lot of value for a shop with employees who don't have the skill to run larger equipment or a shop that needs it out FAST. We bought a Morgana Digifold and although I am happy with it, it is still very light duty compared to the other equipment we use here that can do the same thing. We can channel score on our letter press (Windmill) and also tri-crease on our folder which both work great but take much longer to setup. The Morgana cuts the setup time down to just a couple of minutes so those shortrun jobs are more cost effective to run and the results are similar (NO Cracking). Cracking paper isnt pretty and I don't sell jobs that look like that.

We use an Autocreaser (Morgana) and it's been reliable for over 5 years. It gets used for around 10-30 jobs daily and the only thing that's broken is one of the operating switches. In fact that's broken twice, which probably shows how much we use it. However the parts are reasonably priced and we don't have any cracking on our products, so it (and Morgana) get a thumbs up from me.

I'd never dream of using our windmill (or a cylinder for that matter) on any digital job. They do a great job, but were never designed for the digital world of short runs and take too long to set up to be usable for that type of work.

The old Heidelberg kit is beautifully engineered and a pleasure to use, but do yourselves a favour and get a tool that's designed for the right job.

Ive had issues with cracking in the past , I have a graphic wizard creasemaster I use for scoring its not the greatest but does a decent job...I have also recently started using Futura paper for all my digital jobs and can see a huge difference as far as cracking ive had no issues at all with this paper...

Cracking may occur either because of moisture or a coating layer.
If it is because of coating layer use latex to reduce cracking.
If the reason is moisture, then increase the moisture but be careful while increasing moisture as it may give rise to another coating effect.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back