DCS, Artpro Files

Chris

Hey Folks,

Having trouble sending supplied DCS files through Apogee X 4.0.
I've tried Illustrator - send as separations; InDesign - export as .ps, pdf; Dropped the file into Presep at Apogee - no success. The file will not go through PDF Render.

I know of one service bureau we've used which is able to export as PDF using ESKO's ArtPro.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

What are the errors you're getting? What software created the files? Have you tried printing and Distilling, or using the CPSI Render TP instead of the PDF Render?

DCS File Output

DCS File Output

Since DCS files are a separated Postscript file format, once they have been placed in an application, they need to be printed to Separated Postscript. ArtPro can handle them, but you should be able to have success in an application such as QuarkXPress (not sure about the latest version, but certainly 6 and possibly 7). Wherever you do it, make sure it is separated Postscript that you are making. I wouldn't use Adobe Illustrator to do this.

InDesign (CS2 and later I think) can convert DCS 2 to composite PDF, not sure about DCS 1.
It may be that these are copydot, can you open them in Photoshop?

If you are sending the master file to Apogee/RIP, there needs to be a hires search path (like opi) so the separation files can be found to be processed. If you have the .ap file and linked images that may go with it, you can use ArtPrinter to produce a good pdf. ArtPrinter is free, and is functional enough to process supplied files.
-Dan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back