Die Cut Plastic

Can anyone shed some light on what is needed to die cut .018 point plastic? We tried cutting 4 x 6" pieces 12 up on a cylinder Heidelberg and it did not work. It broke the plastic in places, made very rough edges and scratched it all up.

Any ideas or advice?
Thank you.

what kind of plastic is it???? flexible like a vinyl or more brittle like plexiglass????

A long time ago I wanted to do the same thing and read that you need a heated clamshell die cutter to do that.

I think M@ck is correct..for cutting plastic there are specialty clamshells that have heated knives, or they are cut using router tables.

CNC router tables are getting more affordable every day . .. a lot of sign shops use them to cut out plastic or metal letters - you might see if you could job this out to one in your area good luck

Most .018 plastic stocks are usually not difficult to die cut. Heated knives are not needed but a flat bed such as clamshell or a Bobst is. I wouldn't run this on a cylinder press.

The CNC router tables are a nice option for small quantities.

What rigid plastic are you trying to work with? Vinyl, polycarbonate? Some are easier than others.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back