Digital print estimating app

Hi Pandpinc,

I had little time to actualy work with the program, but it looks like you found the right direction.

Just two small issues - for me at least

When changing paper price/name etc. on a page, I should click save every time, can you not make it auto save when i go to another page? Not a big problem since you rarely have to change paper prices

Typing seems slow, everywhere.

I would like to have more control over pricing policies in the program - there are no two shops that work the same pricing formula!

Thanks!

Regards,
Kalin

Hi Pandpinc,

I had little time to actualy work with the program, but it looks like you found the right direction.

Just two small issues - for me at least

When changing paper price/name etc. on a page, I should click save every time, can you not make it auto save when i go to another page? Not a big problem since you rarely have to change paper prices

Typing seems slow, everywhere.

I would like to have more control over pricing policies in the program - there are no two shops that work the same pricing formula!

Thanks!

Regards,
Kalin

Hi Kalin,

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely add the autosave function when changing pages in the paper catalog. Good catch!

What device are you running? Please let me know and I will look into the performance issue you are having.

Yes, that was an oversight on my part. I have updated the android version (as well as iOS) to allow user-definable min and max up charge. Combined with the min job cost, this will allow for more customizable pricing structure. email me again and I will send you a new apk. Ernie[at]maranathatechnologies.com

Thanks for all your help! Please let me know what you think about the new version once you give it a try.

Last edited:
I bought the app. Very nice concept. I think this could be a useful tool.

Things that should be fixed first:
1 - This is by far my biggest issue, the typing is slow / unresponsive. It is nearly impossible to type on my Samsung Galaxy 2s. It took me 20 minutes to change your default markups last night because the typing is so slow / buggy. Not sure if this helps but I use Swype for typing.

2- I do not understand the mark up formula. I changed both numbers to 3 and it marks up paper + clicks x 3 = price, I get that. What I do not understand is the corelation between the min max upcharges. I would have played with this more but the typing is so bad.

3- The email feature should include job specs and a place for notes. The only thing the email sends now is "Price $xxx.xx" I do not intend to send emails to my clients from this app, but some notes for my reference would be useful.

4 - The app needs tell us how many up per sheet it is figuring on it could help eliminate possible quoting errors.

5 -I am not sure how the app determines the number up per sheet. With or without bleeds, gripper margin, imagable area....? Some clarification on the way this works would be awesome.

6 - There is no way to exit the app without forcing a shutdown through my "active applicaions" feature on my phone.

7 - The app freezes up quite frequently.

Here is my initial "wish list" for future features:

1 - User defined common job size presets. ie: 4 x 6", 8.5 x 11", 11 x 17"....
2 - Additional operations - a per 100 / per 1000 option.
3 - A simple way to roughly estimate cutting based on the number up.
4 - A way to figure out run times based on the stock. This would add quite a bit of value to this software. Maybe when entering stock information add an extra field for sheets per minute? Then have the app figure out the run time based on quantity. Ideally we could then add a user defined hourly rate to the job price.
5 - Options for different presses.
6 - Save job feature with notes.

I'll leave it at that for now. I really hope you continue to develop this as it could be a very useful tool. Once this has some more features and works properly I think you would be able to sell it for 10X + what you are charging now.

1 - This is by far my biggest issue, the typing is slow / unresponsive. It is nearly impossible to type on my Samsung Galaxy 2s. It took me 20 minutes to change your default markups last night because the typing is so slow / buggy. Not sure if this helps but I use Swype for typing.

2- I do not understand the mark up formula. I changed both numbers to 3 and it marks up paper + clicks x 3 = price, I get that. What I do not understand is the corelation between the min max upcharges. I would have played with this more but the typing is so bad.

3- The email feature should include job specs and a place for notes. The only thing the email sends now is "Price $xxx.xx" I do not intend to send emails to my clients from this app, but some notes for my reference would be useful.

4 - The app needs tell us how many up per sheet it is figuring on it could help eliminate possible quoting errors.

5 -I am not sure how the app determines the number up per sheet. With or without bleeds, gripper margin, imagable area....? Some clarification on the way this works would be awesome.

6 - There is no way to exit the app without forcing a shutdown through my "active applicaions" feature on my phone.

4 - A way to figure out run times based on the stock. This would add quite a bit of value to this software. Maybe when entering stock information add an extra field for sheets per minute? Then have the app figure out the run time based on quantity. Ideally we could then add a user defined hourly rate to the job price.

I'll leave it at that for now. I really hope you continue to develop this as it could be a very useful tool. Once this has some more features and works properly I think you would be able to sell it for 10X + what you are charging now.

Hi Schwanson,

Thank you for purchasing the app and for the great feedback!

1. I'm not sure why the typing is so laggy for you. I've tested it on the Kindle Fire, android phone, Iphone 4, Iphone 4s & iPad 1st gen and it runs really well. I don't have any experience with swype, but i will try to install it and do some testing. I'm betting it's related.

2. The markup formula spreads the upcharge over 6000 sheets, so that 1 sheet is billed at the maximum upcharge and 6000 sheets at the min. It decreases the upcharge amount as the sheets go up. I found that that works best for my application. If you don't feel that would work for you, please let me know your input.

3. Yes, those are changes i'm planning for 2.0.

4. Okay, i will try to work that into the next version. I was thinking of creating a pop up with the total, job specs & email button.

5. I figured number out on a worst case scenario. Adding .25" to width and height of the trim size for bleed, then dividing that measurement by the width and height of the sheet to determine the maximum number out. I will probably add an advanced settings tab to allow margins, price breaks and additional press settings in future versions. I want to make it optional though as i'm afraid that having tons of setup involved would make the app less user friendly. There will probably be a check box in the settings to turn it on for maximum control over quoting.

6. Do you mean there is no way to get back to your home screen? Doesnt your device have a home button? Or, are you saying the application continues to run into the background? If i'm not mistaken, i think most other apps continue to run in the background until you kill it with an app killer application, or by restarting the device.

7. I am unable to reproduce this. I will do some more testing to see if i can see what you are experiencing. What is android is version are you running?

Thanks for the great ideas! I will definitely try to work those in. If you need to contact me feel free to post here or email me at ernie[at]maranathatechnologies.com

Last edited:
Android 2.3.6
I just tried the app and it asked me to download Adobe Air, which I did.
It seems to have resolved the type lag issue, with and without Swype. Thank you.

As for the pricing, that is an interesting way of doing it. If we could adjust the number of sheets over the spread that would be helpful, but I can work around it for the time being.

My other apps all have exit screens that kill the app, from within the app. Having a bunch of unused apps in the background slows processing times and eats my battery. This becomes an issue when the app freezes as I have to go to my app killer then restart the app.

Thank you for taking the time to develop this app and address my concerns.

Great I'm glad everything's working better! I really appreciate the feedback, it's users like you who make applications better! Look for the new version in a few weeks, I think you will b very pleased!

I have pretty much ALL the same problems. Especially the glitchy and S L O W typing.
I am using a Sprint ZTE Tablet. I was also told at sign in to download AIR and did so, but still have all the afore mentioned problems.
I tried to change a stock size, name and price and have had nothing but problems.
Please advise if my issues are the norm with the paper feature.
Thanks

Did you try restarting the tablet? I'm not able to reproduce this lag on my end even with a 3 year old droid X. I will b posting an update n a few weeks to add some of the other requested features.

If I change a stock and the size and the price and do a quote for a flat sheet, it comes up $0.00 after hitting calculate.

Did u specify a trim size? The only way to calculate $0 is when you don't specify a trim size or if the trim size is larger than the sheet. Unless of course your settings are set for $0.

Last edited:
Just tried it on an Lenovo IdeaPad A2109 n it works fine as well. Every android device i can get my hands on works fine. All apple products work fine as well.

Anyone who has purchased the app and is experiencing lag on android operating system, please be sure your Adobe AIR is up to date. If you are still experiencing issues after updating AIR, please email me at ernie[at]maranathatechnologies.com with your model and i will refund your money and remove the device from the compatibility list. Thanks!

Last edited:
The app is still working fine on my end, I suspect the Air update did the trick.

I have used it to double check about a dozen jobs so far, it has been spot on for my cost estimates (excluding time and cutting).
Haven't tried it for monkey imposition jobs yet, I suspect that it does not calculate for that but I wouldn't expect it to. That is why I think it is important to tell us how many up the app figured for.

Overall this is a neat app with great potential.

Great! I'm glad it's working we'll for you! No it doesn't support monkey impositioning, but I will try to incorporate that in a future update. I have also decided to have a details button that appears after pressing calculate that breaks down tons of job info. Keep your eyes peeled for that update in a few weeks.

I guess I will have to load it onto my Ipad and see how it works there as I am still having an issue on my Sprint ZTE.

Hey guys!

Got a lot of work done on the 2.0 update! Here are a few of the changes...

Customizable pricing
Simple mode with adjustable sheet range, as well as an adjustable minimum n maximum up charge.
Optional advanced mode for customizable price breaks.

HUGE performance increase

Bleed amount & sheet margins adjustable from general settings menu

Job details viewable after calculation.

Email button now includes basic job details.

And more!

I should have the update live over the next 2-3 weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for it and as always I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back