Number Up Calculating App

ErnieLail

Hey guys,

I developed a program called Nup, it's a Number Up Calculator for iOS, & Android. Its quick and easy to use, Just plug in your info and click calculate. The program will give a visual display of the imposition and allow you to email a link to it. Also supports monkey imposition!

If you would like to check it out, you can get it here...

Apple App Store
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nup/id590084808?ls=1&mt=8

Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.maranathatech.nup

***As of 8/14/13, this app has been sold, so I am no longer supporting it. Updates should be coming soon from the new owner.

Last edited:
Hi Ernie, I have only tried one quick and simple test... First up, I like the free offering, thanks mate!

Constructive feedback: It would be nice if you could force the iOS keyboard into sticking to the numeric mode, I had to continually switch from alpha to numeric for each field and none of the fields require alpha input (I understand if the dev tools do not allow this).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Ernie, it would also be nice to have grip and sidelay fields too... Or head/foot/left/right margins for digital output, over and above the current internal margins.

Stephen Marsh

Hi Stephen,

Would the margins not accommodate that? I'm sorry, i'm not sure what you mean.

BTW i hope to include the ability to select from multiple layouts in the next update. Right now the application is going for the max # out, but i thought that additional function may be useful.

Thanks again for your help!

Sorry Ernie, you are correct - I was thinking that the margins were internal gutters, where as I presume that would be governed by the bleed (bleed being both bleed and gutters). In future I will try to test before firing off feature requests!

Max out is a good place to start, even more so as your app will rotate as necessary to get the best fit. I am sure that having the ability to use standard layouts or save custom layouts would be nice.

Stephen Marsh

Okay lol, that makes sense now! Yes, the bleed settings controls the gutters. So if you need a 1/8" gutter you can just change the bleed setting to 1/16".

Thanks for that input (saving standard layouts), i will add that one to the wish list ;)

Ernie, It was not initially obvious that double tapping the nup logo on the calculated preview screen would return one to the entry fields if one needed to revise the input. I worked that out in end. Perhaps it would be more obvious if there was a return/back button?

It is not critical, however I think it would be a nice feature to show the finished size of the job in one colour, with the overall size of the job including bleed in a different colour. I like the detailed info in the email, it would be nice to have that on the preview image as well (Master size, finished size, bleed amount and no up - adding the finished size info instead of having finished size combined with bleed).

Nice work!

P.S. Are you also planning an Android version, or only iOS?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I will work those changes into the next version. Thanks for the input!

Yes, i will eventually release it on Google Play as well. Just going to get any initial changes complete before releasing the android version.

Don't change your app only on my input - unless you think that it is beneficial, it is just one guy's opinion!

Perhaps a keyline or a dotted keyline to indicate the trim/fininshed size, with the overall size with bleed in colour? Or would two different colours be better? Your call!

What did you mean by the ability to select from multiple layouts? That if the app calculated two or more possible impositions, that the user could select one over the other, rather than simply being presented the max number out?

Stephen Marsh

You have some valid points and I think your suggestions will definitely make the program better.

Yeah the program would generate multiple layouts. This would help when grain direction is a concern. Or, additional operations require more paper around the imposition.

Yeah like Stephen said, I will be releasing one soon. Just keep an eye on this thread, I will post here when it's up. Thanks for your interest! :)

I'm submitting version 1.1 to apple today (should be live in about a week). Update will include:

Fixed major bug that displayed impositions incorrectly.
App now shows trim and bleed boxes.
Revised the data that's displayed on the results page.

I will be included some other suggestions in the next update. I just really wanted to push this update out as quickly as possible since i found the bug.

If anyone would like a certain feature included, please post here and I will consider adding it on the next update. Thanks for your support!

Last edited:
Would be nice if you could find a way to reduce the data input. Maybe allow the user to define their standard margin/bleed information in a global settings page. Or simple autofill the margin data for right, top, bottom once left is inputted. In either scenario I would assume you could over-write the autofill info if warranted.

I will second the request to lock the numerical keyboard when inputting the data.

Thanks for downloading the app!

Reduce the data input? It should save the previously inputted data every time you generate an imposition. You should only have to fill out the data fields once.

I am looking into looking the numeric keypad for the next update. Just wanted to get this update out because it patched a bug. Thanks for your input!

Thanks for downloading the app!

Reduce the data input? It should save the previously inputted data every time you generate an imposition. You should only have to fill out the data fields once.

I am looking into looking the numeric keypad for the next update. Just wanted to get this update out because it patched a bug. Thanks for your input!

Ah got ya, I just commented after installing and using it for the first time. Good to know all those settings will stay in there.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back