dot gain

kbarz

running man Roland 700 40 inch 6/c with tower coater. Using superior uv inks ,0.16 c1s Everest stock.. interdeck in between last printing unit and coater, then lamps at the end. basic printing pharmaceutical cartons.. on uv inks is there an average dot gain % that is universal.. I know less is best .. but what if any % are there for k,c,m,y tks for replies.. kbarz

I think consistent dot gain is far more important than the least dot gain. We are all using different ink/blanket fountain solution combinations so with your press properly packed and your materials in spec the dot gain numbers you get are your own numbers and as long as you can consistently achieve those numbers day to day then you can adjust the other processes accordingly.
just my opinion folks

@kbars

Dot gain is a process control metric - it is not a target.
The target is a tone reproduction curve embodied in the print standard or specification you want your presswork to align to.
Whatever dot gains get you to that tone reproduction curve are the dot gains that you need to maintain in your printing.

Gordo

@kbars

Dot gain is a process control metric - it is not a target.
The target is a tone reproduction curve embodied in the print standard or specification you want your presswork to align to.
Whatever dot gains get you to that tone reproduction curve are the dot gains that you need to maintain in your printing.

Gordo

Wow, remarkable revealations here with the amount of upfront information given!

You are remarkable Gordo.

D Ink Man

Wow, remarkable revealations here with the amount of upfront information given!

You are remarkable Gordo.

D Ink Man

I never know when you're being sarcastic or direct.

In my experience, most printers don't understand the context of dot gain, and as a result they make production decisions that may result in less than optimal results and/or wasted time and resources. The OP's question appeared to me to be such a case.

Perhaps you have a better insight?

gordo

thanks for the reply's.. all info is welcomed, just trying to do the best with what I have to work with.. kbarz

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back