Envelopes through Versant 80

Jim

We're looking to replace our Oki envelope press and Xerox C75 with a Xerox Versant 80. We don't think our envelope volume (a couple hundred per week) justifies having a dedicated envelope press. I was wondering if anyone has experience running envelopes through the V80. We run a wide range of envelope sizes, mostly for wedding invitations, going as small as 4 Bar (3.625 X 5.125). The 4 Bar is too small for the machine, but the Xerox rep claims to have a work-around that seems to solve the problem.

Canl the V80 handle short runs of envelopes?

I have run maybe 10,000 envelopes on our Versant 2100, virtually problem free. The only jamming I had came from some I loaded that had curled under in the middle of the pile, so that was my error not the machines.

Have only run #10 so no experience with different sizes. It does run great though, the downside is you have to use the finisher top tray so you basically need to stand with it and constantly unload. We are running normal #10 envelopes, nothing meant for digital, this is the same stuff we use on press. #10 window goes ok, we have some very slight wrinkling in the window, but for what we do it is acceptable.

Now I am assuming the Versant 80 will be very similar, it is supposed to be basically the same inside, just everything is crammed in for the smaller body.

The thing is our J75 can almost run a 4 Bar when the flap is out 5.75" height, versus the machine minimum of 5.83", so sometimes they work and other times it jams. If your Versant 80 has the same minimum then there probably is not a way to get around it.

Have you looked at the new OKI 900 series printers, maybe get the new 5 color and use it for envelopes and print other items and keep your current press?

I do believe the c942 is $26K, it is still a lot of money, but I wasn't talking about just using it for envelopes, it can be used for much more than envelopes. It was just a thought for the quick print shop that doesn't do large volumes but wants to offer different items to stand apart from the competition.

Last edited:
We looked long and hard at the Oki 941 ($37K+), 942 ($36+) and 931 ($20K+) as well as an older 900 ($14K+). We just didn't feel our volume was enough to justify the cost.

We have been using our KM C1070 for short run envelopes. No problem at all. KM provide a dedicated fuser unit and settings for envelope printing.

We also looked at several of the re-labeled Oki machines including the Neopost. Must have been the sales group we were working with, but Neopost was about $6K more than the comparable Oki version of the machine. When we pointed that out, they said they thought they could match the Oki price.

We had a very bad experience with a PSI labeled Oki, so we're very leery about going the re-labeled route.

We have been using our KM C1070 for short run envelopes. No problem at all. KM provide a dedicated fuser unit and settings for envelope printing.

We looked at the KM C1060. What size envelopes are you running on the machine? We need to do 4 Bar (3.625 x 5.125). KM first said the C1060 would not do 4 Bar. When we said that was a major problem and we would have to look at other options, they said the machine could do 4 Bar.

We have been using a xerox 7400 with a straight shooter setup for the past 5 years, our envelope volume has increased but we didn't want to go the memjet route (didn't like the flat look and how the ink ran when it got wet) so I have been keeping my eye on the OKI 900 series, it looks like they have stabilized the issues with it and I think that is the route we are going to take, it will be 2.5 times the speed of our current setup and that straight through paper path is the way to go. I hear you when it comes to re-badged items, no way would I go Xante or PSI for those very reasons, the service sucks.

We looked at the KM C1060. What size envelopes are you running on the machine? We need to do 4 Bar (3.625 x 5.125). KM first said the C1060 would not do 4 Bar. When we said that was a major problem and we would have to look at other options, they said the machine could do 4 Bar.

I think 4 Bar is below the stated minimum size for C1060/1070. The only way you can be sure is to do a test run on KM machine. I wouldn't trust the salesman's word.

The published specifications for the EF-103 (envelope option for the C1060/C1070) say, the minimum width (crosstrack dimension) is 3.92" and the minimum length (feed direction) is 5.82". Note also that the printer has to be configured with the PF-707 vacuum-assisted paper feed unit.

(Note: I am a Konica employee.)

We print a lot of envelopes on the Versant 80, it comes with the handy envelope feed screwed into the bottom of Tray 6 (your large capacity tray) which lets you do DL size in bulk, before that we were running them from Tray 5 and feeding them by hand, which took too long. Until the tech unscrewed the envelope feed plate and showed us the light. . . no issues what so ever. .

We print a lot of envelopes on the Versant 80, it comes with the handy envelope feed screwed into the bottom of Tray 6 (your large capacity tray) which lets you do DL size in bulk, before that we were running them from Tray 5 and feeding them by hand, which took too long. Until the tech unscrewed the envelope feed plate and showed us the light. . . no issues what so ever. .

I am pretty sure we can run envelopes like this on our J75, but our tech and our salesperson somehow can't find the part to buy. Kind of a pain in the ass, to be honest. We buy a $50 k+ machine and they can't even help us find a damned piece of metal?

Hi Priceline
On your J75 pull out drawer 7 and look in under the left hand side. There might be an envelope bracket in there held in with a large screw. I only found this two weeks ago after having the machine for almost a year.

Hi Priceline
On your J75 pull out drawer 7 and look in under the left hand side. There might be an envelope bracket in there held in with a large screw. I only found this two weeks ago after having the machine for almost a year.

Holy crap, I've only looked under tray 6. Will do tomorrow morning! Much appreciated.

yeah it's tricky to find, on the outside of the tray, at the bottom a big, silver circle screw, undo it and slot it into the two holes in the tray and voila! instant envelope feed! it's a beauty.

This bad boy right here!

Attachments

• 20151108_101600.jpg
    20151108_101600.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 298

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back