Envelopes through Versant 80

I have a J75 with the two drawer high capacity feeder, I only have this machine for 10 months. When loading stock into drawer 6 the
UI allows me to select "envelope". It's only after seeing the online video for printing envelopes on the V80 that I decided to get down on my hands and knees and have a look

I have a J75 with the two drawer high capacity feeder, I only have this machine for 10 months. When loading stock into drawer 6 the
UI allows me to select "envelope". It's only after seeing the online video for printing envelopes on the V80 that I decided to get down on my hands and knees and have a look

Weird, that's exactly our situation. Had it for about 12 months, see envelope option, saw V80 video, and looked at both trays but no dice. I'll call my sales rep on Monday and ask him what is up. Thanks for the quick response.

before we "found" the guide, we used a lightweight wooden block which did the same job, as long as you tick the envelope feed box it keeps the envelopes just as steady.

Digimc, do you have a C75 or J75? Just checked and did not find anything. I don't remember it being an add-on for the machine.

We had a J75 and had not clue this was there. I took it out when we replaced our J75 with the Versant 2100 and now run envelopes from both trays, only thing missing is being able to use the finisher stacker tray rather then the finisher top tray. Attached a picture of where the envelope bracket should be. This was the same on our J75 and our Versant 2100, I would imagine if you have the high cap feeders that it will be there. Techs did not even know about it.

I have a C75 and the attachment but wehn I try to run #10 they come out wrinkled. Is there some kind of other trick or setting I should be using?

We have the bracket on our C75 too. My envelopes come out wrinkled too. I am pretty sure the fuser is doing the damage. We have a small Epson inkjet that does great on envelopes. We are getting a Versant 80 shortly to replace the C75. Am anxious to try envelopes on the 80.

Its' not the adhesive but the lead edge, would say the fuser is doing the damage too. Yes the bracket was in tray six as referenced in the picture in the post above. Xerox came in about a month ago offering a deal on the Versant 80. Offering it with tray 6 &7, advanced finisher with the square fold and face trim, .025 color clicks for 4 months znd .0045 for black, will go to what the clicks are on the C75 after that which is .049 and .0095, Xerox® EX-i 80 Print Server. It's about $650 more than the C75 but since i do a lot of booklets I think it would be a great move. The envelope printing would basically seal the deal but was told the C75 would print them but doesn't seem to be true. Right now I'm outsourcing envelopes and I've sent about 14,000 in the past month.

I've been looking at a V80 for doing envelopes, however after demoing two units at different sales offices, they tried a 3rd location and still have an issue with skewing, pretty badly. They sent some to Rochester and got them to work (although they could not when I was there because the engine and Fiery were not talking, and it crashed on the 2100 immediately and they couldn't get the box back up). Interestingly enough, they could not get closer than 3/16" on those three machines but did get 1/8" on the 4th go around I was not there for... doesn't instill confidence with me at all.... any others have these issues?

We run envelopes all the time on our V2100. A2's all the way up to 10 x 13. Window & Non-Window. We probably run, on average, around 10,000 per month. They run smooth as silk and registration is dead on. If I had a gripe, it would only be that I wished there some other output option besides the upper output tray. At the speed and smoothness of the run, that upper tray gets full every couple of minutes, so, basically, an operator has be standing there constantly pulling stacks of the printed envelopes from the output tray and placing them back in the envelope box. Sure would be nice if they could be output to one of the bottom trays or a stacker............

I've been looking at a V80 for doing envelopes, however after demoing two units at different sales offices, they tried a 3rd location and still have an issue with skewing, pretty badly. They sent some to Rochester and got them to work (although they could not when I was there because the engine and Fiery were not talking, and it crashed on the 2100 immediately and they couldn't get the box back up). Interestingly enough, they could not get closer than 3/16" on those three machines but did get 1/8" on the 4th go around I was not there for... doesn't instill confidence with me at all.... any others have these issues?

Are you sure it is the machine and not the envelopes themselves? Had a bad batch of envelopes, tried a new box and everything was straight again.

We run envelopes all the time on our V2100. A2's all the way up to 10 x 13. Window & Non-Window. We probably run, on average, around 10,000 per month. They run smooth as silk and registration is dead on. If I had a gripe, it would only be that I wished there some other output option besides the upper output tray. At the speed and smoothness of the run, that upper tray gets full every couple of minutes, so, basically, an operator has be standing there constantly pulling stacks of the printed envelopes from the output tray and placing them back in the envelope box. Sure would be nice if they could be output to one of the bottom trays or a stacker............

That is my only complaint as well, when running you need to stand with the job the whole time. I think I timed it once and it was just under 2 minutes before it would fill up with #10 envelopes.

I just put in a V-80 last week. Beautiful prints, fast registers great. It replaced the C-75 I boght last year. I just got done running 1,000 full color #10 on 60# Accent Opaque and 5,000 black & white #10's on just regular Mac Papers envelopes. I had 2 miss feeds and one was my fault the other just a little hangup. I have to agree with MailGuru that my only complaint would be for another option for delivery. The envelopes stayed true, no skewing from the first to last. Being an old pressman, it's just habit to be pulling and checking while running the envelopes. First job off the machine last week was 8.5 x 5.5 postcards on Carolina WR 14pt, a run of 1,000 4 up 12 x 18 sheets and was done in 45 minutes, duplex-ed color. I have a few issues with the production folder and the square-fold trimmer but as has always been the way since I started using Xerox, they jumped right on it and had to elevate to bring in an engineer, to make sure all was right, and he determined that they need to replace both parts and have expedited the call for the parts. Xerox has always treated me this way, this is my 4th Xerox, and why I have always stayed with them. Their service is excellent.

Are you sure it is the machine and not the envelopes themselves? Had a bad batch of envelopes, tried a new box and everything was straight again.
They didn't even have mine at one location, and Xerox tried their own... don't think it is the envelopes.

Yeah, that is one situation I am trying to avoid, having my operators babysit. That part stinks.

Yeah, that is one situation I am trying to avoid, having my operators babysit. That part stinks.

In my opinion, you should not be looking at the V80 or the V2100 specifically to do envelopes. They are both excellent machines, and, will run envelopes flawlessly, but, buying one of these machines specifically to run envelopes is a little like taking out a shot-gun to kill a fly. There are much less expensive solutions out there if all you want to use it for is to run envelopes. Most of us who own & run V80/V2100's acquired them for high quality print jobs (some static, some variable image/variable data). These jobs include posters, post cards, direct mail pieces, booklets, catalogs, etc. where color and registration (front to back, as well as sheet to sheet) are critical. The fact that it will also run envelopes is, of course, a definite plus, and, icing on the cake, but, most of us did not decide on the V80/V2100 as an "envelope printer", per se. But, is sure is nice to have the control of running them in-house and on-demand instead of outsourcing them.

Last edited:
We print a lot of envelopes on the Versant 80, it comes with the handy envelope feed screwed into the bottom of Tray 6 (your large capacity tray) which lets you do DL size in bulk, before that we were running them from Tray 5 and feeding them by hand, which took too long. Until the tech unscrewed the envelope feed plate and showed us the light. . . no issues what so ever. .

Try using a Refurbished Xerox Versant 80 instead.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back