Epson 4000 Resurection

thanser

Hopefully this will be a pretty straightforward problem to solve. :p

I brought home another free Epson printer a few days ago, a model 4000 with paper tray and roll feed. It fires up, and I've been cleaning the heads and docking station for the last couple of days.

Initially the cyan was indicated as being LOW, so I added some Photo Cyan bulk ink I had on hand. After reinstalling the cartridge, the printer indicates INK OUT for the #2 cyan cartridge.

Time to invest in a chip resetter? Is that it?

I mean, I ADDED ink and it now says I'm OUT OF INK. :)

No other error messages are being indicated at this time.

Thanks!

Usually, the cartridges are under a little pressure. My experience with bulk adding has for the most part been a failure. The 4000 can take the larger 220ml ink carts leave the doors open or even removed (as we do). One huge expense and 220ml lasts a very long time! The later gen epsons such as 10600 have the ink pumped while the 4000-9600 I believe use a gravity feed with the cartridge supplying the pressure. Cleaning is slower and even harder as well obviously, super clean helps (get the manual online!).

In this group, you'll find all the advice you need:

[email protected]

Now, to your specific question: yes, you will want a chip resetter to enable the use of refilled cartridges.

A word of caution: if this printer was not in use for a significant length of time say, even a few weeks, expect a lot of trouble getting all nozzles to open up. Many times it may need new heads which are not really user-replaceable. May not be worth the bother and costs involved.

Thanks, everyone.

I can't go any further without resetting the cartridge that I just refilled. However, I'm concerned that I may never get the nozzles cleaned entirely and I've read a lot about this particular printer being really prone to clogs. I used several paper towels soaked in Windex, then two Super Sonic Cleanings, and a couple of Power Cleanings.

I can't keep going through ink, obviously. My first print was virtually blank, completely clogged. After some cleaning attempts, I can at least get an image but I still have a ways to go before it's printing normally.

Maybe I'll NEVER get the jets to unclog? Maybe it's not worth it to take the printer head out and use an ultrasonic cleaning unit?

The printer was free, and I'm getting some practice working on it, but it might a hopeless waste of time.

Thanks again,

Tom Hanser

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back