Fold Saddle Stitch piece

DanB

Just wondering.. Does anyone knows of a way to fold a 12 page self cover saddle stitched piece printed on a 20LB paper finished size 8.5 X 11 in half to 8.5 X 5.5?

Thanks

I am assuming these are already stitched?
We have fed out of our stahl into a knife folder. Tends to run a little slower.
It's better to come out of the stitcher into the knife, faster production speeds.

Have also done this on the flat cover feeder of a stitcher, if you have one.

Greg

I am assuming these are already stitched?
We have fed out of our stahl into a knife folder. Tends to run a little slower.
It's better to come out of the stitcher into the knife, faster production speeds.

Have also done this on the flat cover feeder of a stitcher, if you have one.

Greg

Yes they are stitched. I'm not familiar with knife folders..perhaps there is one that can run inline with our Standard Stitchliner. Thanks for the idea of using the cover feeder. Don't think I have one on the Stitchliner but I do on a Duplo

What is the quantity? Both Cover Decks on a stitcher and a Knife Folder will do the job for sure but........ If this is a recurring project and you have a right angle unit that is used on the folder you can take a couple of rollers out and have a groove put in them and run stapled work through them. This is a fairly thin product so if you are not looking to purchase equipment and you do not have a Cover Deck on a saddle binder this is an option. Blank it through the main unit and apply a score and fold in the right angle. I use the ground roller method to refold saddlestitched work that folds down to a #10. Good luck.

What is the quantity? ..... If this is a recurring project and you have a right angle unit that is used on the folder you can take a couple of rollers out and have a groove put in them and run stapled work through them.

Quantity is between 600 to 2600 for each of up to 25 to 30 jobs a month. They are recurring newsletters that we prepare for the US Mail. Putting a groove in the right angle unit of the folder seems like a pretty good idea. Do you have any trouble using the unit for "normal" folding after the grooves are cut?

Dan B

Quantity is between 600 to 2600 for each of up to 25 to 30 jobs a month. They are recurring newsletters that we prepare for the US Mail. Putting a groove in the right angle unit of the folder seems like a pretty good idea. Do you have any trouble using the unit for "normal" folding after the grooves are cut?

Dan B

You will have to get specific and tell me what kind of folder you have but you can put that groove in a location that may not have any impact on 90% of your work. But I have never had a problem with the groove on any given project. Putting a mechanical score in it through the parallel unit gives a nice crease but to even take it to the next level you put a wet score on top of the mechanical score and it will fold nice and flat. That is a lot of jobs. What is your binding machine? You really want to be able to process these during the binding function and maybe I can give you a different idea with a little more info.

I was first thinking I could take the right angle unit from the folder and put it at the end of the saddle stitcher. I decided that would take too much jerry rigging. In the mean while, with some research I came upon a "Baum K20 Knife Folder" that is supposed to be able to be put on the end of the saddle stitcher.

I'm going to get more info on it. If anyone has one, please let me know what you think of it.

Thanks
Dan B

If I recall it will cost about $30,000.00 new for the Baum K20 Knife Folder, but it is sweet. I saw one while I was at the factory demoing a Baum 2020.

I was first thinking I could take the right angle unit from the folder and put it at the end of the saddle stitcher. I decided that would take too much jerry rigging. In the mean while, with some research I came upon a "Baum K20 Knife Folder" that is supposed to be able to be put on the end of the saddle stitcher.

I'm going to get more info on it. If anyone has one, please let me know what you think of it.

Thanks
Dan B

You have not stated what type of equipment you have but if you have a cover feeder you can 1/4 fold those 600 quantity's in about 10 minutes. As for the hassle of putting a folder unit up to the stitcher, when everything is properly set up to do this it takes no longer than moving any other attachment around in a bindery. The only problem is you need a way to put some type of score into the paper prior to folding or you may get some variation. And it would be a cold day in $%^^ before I would pay 30k for a knife folder. I have never seen a Baum in person but it looks similar to the Heidelberg and they are whole lot more user friendly that a MBO. Watch ebay as they come up from time to time. I just saw a Heidelberg a few months ago sell for around 5k. One advantage is you can use the 1/4 folder for other things in the bindery that may help expedite other projects. It is definitely a good tool in the toolbox.

ondemandbindery, I mentioned in an earlier post that have a Standard Horizon Stitchliner and a Duplo. The Duplo is a system 4000. The Stitchliner doesn't have a cover feeder. Covers are feed through the bins like the text sheets. The Duplo has a station in front of the bins where you can hand feed sets. We also have an MBO folder.

I'm still checking things out. 30K for the Baum seems a bit high. I'll shop around.

Thank you Craig for the info on the K20.

ondemandbindery, I mentioned in an earlier post that have a Standard Horizon Stitchliner and a Duplo. The Duplo is a system 4000. The Stitchliner doesn't have a cover feeder. Covers are feed through the bins like the text sheets. The Duplo has a station in front of the bins where you can hand feed sets. We also have an MBO folder.

I'm still checking things out. 30K for the Baum seems a bit high. I'll shop around.

Thank you Craig for the info on the K20.

You are correct. I did not see that. I have seen people put 1/4 folders on the back of their collators and I believe Horizon tries to sell one with their high end flat sheet stitching line. Anyways, if you are looking for the one shot process then the 1/4 folder is probably your best bet. The reason I mention purchasing a used one is it is pretty hard to destroy one of these machines and at this point in the game there has to be quite a few available on the market. I am not sure of what your shop uses for electrical services but most of these knife folder use 3 phase with no more than 10 amps. Pretty simple to get them powered up and with a schmatic and a decent electrician you can have the stop circuit easily intergrated from the stitchline. Just food for thought but it sounds like you are looking into all your options. Good luck.

I have the stahl vfz52? same as baum. I use it on the stahl b20 usa to fold tricky small stuff. I use it offline to refold books to 5.5 x 8.5. i forget but I think use mine was like $12,000 and new was like $26,000

I have the stahl vfz52? same as baum. I use it on the stahl b20 usa to fold tricky small stuff. I use it offline to refold books to 5.5 x 8.5. i forget but I think use mine was like $12,000 and new was like $26,000

You have the good one. The MBO seems more cumbersome because you rotate to change knife direction versus flipping. And the MBO has too much stuff on it to try and accompplish the task of folding something in half. Something else that can help a shop that is tight on space is grab a streamfeeder off Ebay and use that to get the product into the folding unit.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back