Framemaker Spot color output

pajdzn

Does anybody know how to output colors from a Framemaker file? I have a customer that is using Framemaker 7 and they want to output a 2 color job. I have Framemaker 8 and I have tried to get it to work but what I get is a 5 color output. I do get a spot color on Illustrator images placed in the file but all items colored from within FMkr come out 4 color, as does all the black text. It appears to output alot in RGB, ergo the 4 color blacks. I am not an expert with Framemaker so I may be missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeff

Hi Jeff

I haven't had to use Framemaker in a while, but from what I remember it uses the Window GDI printing system which is limited to RGB. So your pure black elements are going to RGB then back to CMYK black as part of the printing process. For spot color jobs I always used to go to PDF and then use Pitstop to convert the CMYK/RGB elements back into spot.

Your Illustrator elements are coming out OK because FrameMaker and the print drivers pass the EPS untouched directly into the postscript file it creates before converting it to PDF or to the printer it's outputting to.

This Adobe technote might help
CMYK color problems in a document or PDF file (FrameMaker on Windows)

Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back