Freehand file issue. Read/write access denied..

acacia print

We have a few files that are still set up in Free Hand 11, but recently Free Hand is coming up with the message:

"Could not save the document because read or write access has been denied"

We have reinstalled Free Hand and checked that files are "Read/Write" but thet still come up with this message....? We cant export, print or save the files... It makes for interesting times.. We have used Free Hand on this computer before so not sure what has changed.

Will Free Hand 8 install onto Vista? maybe this will fix the issue... any thought:eek:s?

After Free Hand MX there is no updates. Better to change it to Illustrator. You can open FH files directly in CS4 or later versions. We did the same.

I hear what you are saying....lol We only have CS3. We do have access to another opperator with Free Hand who can open and extract file components. So we are not desperately stuck. Most files are forms which dont take long to re create but we are still stumped as to why this issue has suddenly blocked us as we have had no problem using Free Hand until now. I will look at the "Free Freehand" site and see if that helps... We also are getting a new computer soon and will look at getting Windows 7. Any other thoughts around fixing the problem would be helpful. We will weed out all these Free Hand files I think and go 100% CS. We are about 98% CS now anyway so not a deal breaker.

I am certain I have opened Frehand MX files with Illustrator CS3.
As for the read/write denied...I have found, with Vista, that the Program Files folder (and sub folders) are restricted; users do not have any (sufficient) priviledges.
Navigate to the Program folder, pull up the Properties dialog, Security tab, Edit for Users, allow full access.
Google this, I just get through it as necessary.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back