FTP Monitoring

ajr

Does anyone use or know of any software that can monitor an FTP site and then send an email notification when a file has been uploaded. We have several customers that put the files on their FTP and expect us to check it every 5 mins to see if their file is on there!!. They cant be bothered to tell us when they upload. If they used our FTP no problem we use Rumpus, that tells us everything.

Any ideas can be mac or pc.

Thanks

AjR

re:FTP Monitoring

Not sure I understand since Rumpus does this quite well for both uploads and downloads with the ability to set certain user to be sent email to certain email address. We use it when a customer uploads a file-that user is assigned to a csr group. They get the notice. Easy to set up and has a ton of useful features.

Another idea would be to give the csr the ability to log in themselves and check it. Give them the ability to move out of the home folder, With the web interface it works well with thumbnails for most file types.

http://www.maxum.com/Rumpus/

Last edited:
The problem is the customer puts the files on their FTP (NOT OUR RUMPUS FTP) so we dont get notifications at all, I was just looking for a bit of software that would monitor their server and notify me when they upload to it.

A

It's kind of sad that you actually have to do this for them. They should be taking the lead on this, especially if they expect you to print their jobs in a timely manner.

You have to be a mindreader!

BTW the card your thinking of is the 3 of Spades!

AjR

Hi ajr,

You want IPSentry (IPSentry Network Monitoring Software | Systems Monitor | RGE, Inc.).

It does exactly what you describe. It can check a site at an interval you set. It has notification options for email (which can be customized), pager, and others. Along with the base package, you want to install the "File and Directory Monitoring" add-in.

As far as I know, it's a Windows-only application.

Hope this helps,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Last edited:
Check out CrushFTP. We have been using this for our FTP solution for several years and it works great. It offers a web-based UI for people that are not comfortable with FTP client software as well as many other features including events.

From CrushFTP website: Event actions are user customizable. They can generate emails with a list of uploads a user just made, or many various other tasks. You can customize events down to extreme detail. Events can be used to run various plugins which then perform other tasks as well(such as the LaunchProcess plugin.)

re. FTP Monitoring

re. FTP Monitoring

We also use CrushFTP to do this. Versions of CrushFTP are available to run on Windoze, OS X or Linux.

Regards,
Ernst Vegt

I think that AJR's question was how to monitor a clients remote FTP site, not about serving his own. Rumpus and CrushFTP are both great but they won't check for uploads someplace else, you need a different tool like IPSentry or Simon for that.

I also just realized that you might be able to use webpage monitoring tools in Firefox for free. You could try logging in to the server using ftp://username:password@hostname/directory and set either update scanner or site delta to look for changes.
Update Scanner
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sitedelta/

Shawn

Thanks Shawn, its so annoying when people dont read the original question. I'll have a look at that, I thought I would be able to find a simple utility to do what I want but no luck. I'll have a look at the Firefox plug in.

Thanks
AjR

You can use Enfocus LightSwitch to watch the remote server(s) very easily. As soon as a file is posted it can download it and notify you or someone else that a new file was found and downloaded.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back