Galileo

Hi everyone,

I have a question concerning Agfa´s Galileo

We are having an error in our Smart Sensor Driver (SSDM).
Does anyone of you had a similar problem?
It seems to be that one encoder is not sending the correct signal to the board

Thanks

Gaston

That means first input pair of rollers motor (because your Galileo has manual plate input) do not produce its encoder pulses when that Motor powered ON.
Check the plug J3 (encoder) and J9 (Servomotor 1 power) at I/O SSDM

That means first input pair of rollers motor (because your Galileo has manual plate input) do not produce its encoder pulses when that Motor powered ON.
Check the plug J3 (encoder) and J9 (Servomotor 1 power) at I/O SSDM

Yes, we are checking that, but not luck so far.
Im not a technical person, but i think that the problem is in J3. There is a chance to make a bridge between the other encoder that goes to another servomotor, to avoid these problem?

Any suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

Gaston

To figure out or separate the root of problem - swap around two SSDMs.
If the problem I7001 disappeared (and another one appeared at Applicator) - SSDM was in trouble.
No chance to create a bridge - that's a multilayer board with some connectors (wires) not visible outside.
I'm not sure if it's possible to cut off all wires from not-in-use encoder plug, and put wires over to make a bridge between two plugs.

Last edited:
To figure out or separate the root of problem - swap around two SSDM.
If the problem I7001 disappeared (and another one appeared at Applicator) - SSDM was in trouble.
No chance to create a bridge - that's a multilayer board with some connectors (wires) not visible outside.
I'm not sure if it's possible to cut off all wires from not-in-use encoder plug, and put wires over to make a bridge between two plugs.

Thanks for your quick feedback.

You mean testing another SSDM to see if the problem disappers? The problem with that is that we dont have another Galileo to take the SSDM from. So we are at trial and error basis. And Agfa Argentina does not have a SSDM to borrow to test what the problem is. We know that the servomotors are ok.

I understand what you mean about the imposibility of doing a bridge

Any other thought would be more than appreciated

Thanks again

Gaston

AGFA Field Service Techs never repair SSDM (that was Field replaceable and Returnable spare part), even more - we do not have Schematic diagrams for Galileo's electronics boards, as AGFA did for Avantras CtF, we have Galileo interconnection diagrams only.

I mean to install Applicator SSDM on the place of I/O SSDM and I/O SSDM at Applicator SSDM place.
Applicator SSDM DOES NOT use J3 and J9 connectors.
You can solve the problem without any extra error messages from Applicator side, if you are absolutely sure in servomotors.
That's your solution of the problem.
Be careful, do not misplace cables after SSDM swapping round.

Last edited:
AGFA Field Service Techs never repair SSDM (that was Field replaceable and Returnable spare part), even more - we do not have Schematic diagrams for Galileo's electronics boards, as AGFA did for Avantras CtF, we have Galileo interconnection diagrams only.

I mean to install Applicator SSDM on the place of I/O SSDM and I/O SSDM at Applicator SSDM place.
Applicator SSDM DOES NOT use J3 and J9 connectors.
You can solve the problem without any extra error messages from Applicator side, if you are absolutely sure in servomotors.
That's your solution of the problem.
Be careful, do not misplace cables after SSDM swapping round.

Thanks again for that fast feedback
So if the problem is J3. With the swap of boards the problem will be solved?
Weird that the Agfa Service didnt thought of that solution.
Agfa´s people is handling the interconnection, so i think they will not misplace the cables.

Thanks for all your help

Regards,

Gaston

AGFA Techs are framed with a whole bunch of AGFA policies at Customer's site.
Even they know that solution, they can use it as a temporarily solution... up to the moment when new SSDM will come by DHL or UPS express post service; but in case of some fault, (for instance: swapped SSDM will get the same problem, if servomotor was broken)... and who will pay for this???!!!

I'm not AGFA FSE/FST anymore, and I have no frame in my mind "how to obey these policies and rules" anymore, but a few exclusions still persist.

Do what I told you, and you will send me a box of beer, if I'm right :)

My nickname is "Mr. Perfect Simplicity" :D

Last edited:
AGFA Techs are framed with a whole bunch of AGFA policies at Customer's site.
Even they know that solution, they can use it as a temporarily solution... up to the moment when new SSDM will come by DHL or UPS express post service; but in case of some fault, (for instance: swapped SSDM will get the same problem, if servomotor was broken)... and who will pay for this???!!!

I'm not AGFA FSE/FST anymore, and I have no frame in my mind "how to obey these policies and rules" anymore, but a few exclusions still persist.

Do what I told you, and you will send me a box of beer, if I'm right :)

My nickname is "Mr. Perfect Simplicity" :D

Haha
We are going to test it today, i will keep you posted. Hope it will work.

other question, Input/Output SSDM, Application SSDM or Picker SSDM what are the difference between these 3 boards? I can only swap Input/Output with Application or i can doint with Picker also?

Thanks again for yor help

Regards

Gaston

All SSDMs are abs. identical... just need reprogramming via serviceman's laptop or
using OCT over password menu.

Last edited:
All SSDMs are abs. identical

Vlad,

We just tested the repair SSDM (that we send to a tech guy to try to repair). When i talk to the Agfa tech about your problem solver, he look at me as: "how do you know that?".

So even we didnt swap the SSDM, i know that you were right.

Thanks for your help.

I trade you the beers for a city tour around Buenos Aires whenever you and your family are in town.

Thanks again

Gaston

New Question about Galileo: LASER

New Question about Galileo: LASER

Hi,

People i have several questions about CTP Galileo Laser,

The reason for these is that ours have failed. So Agfa told us that we have to replace it.
The price is hugeeeee, i though that violet laser were cheaper.

My questions are these:

1) What is the brand that makes the laser and what is the model name.
2) How often the laser fails?
3) Exists some information that agfa techs are not telling me because of agfa´s commercial policies

Thanks again for your help and for teaching me things that i would take years to learn on my own...

Gaston

The price is huuuuuge, that is true if you had 5 mW violet laser (or green laser).
New 60 mW violet laser was implemented in latest machines, and whole carriage upgrade was AGFA policy in service.
None of AGFA servicemen knows smthng about that laser than that's 60 mW stuff.

Last edited:
In case of 5 -->60 upgrade - not only laser diode has to be replased but laser driver board as well.
AGFA did replacement of whole carriage only because some optics alignment has to be completed at the factory (as they proclaimed), but 60 mW laser kit assy was available as a field replaceable part.

Last edited:
hmmm : None of AGFA servicemen knows smthng about that laser than that's 60 mW stuff

Try to google "Nichia" and " violet Laser diode".
It wil not help you solve your problem. But it will answer your quest for more information.

Warning : You will have new questions after reading their product line overview.

Regards
W3112

hmmm : None of AGFA servicemen knows smthng about that laser than that's 60 mW stuff

Try to google "Nichia" and " violet Laser diode".
It wil not help you solve your problem. But it will answer your quest for more information.

Warning : You will have new questions after reading their product line overview.

Regards
W3112

Hi,
Thanks to both for your reply.
First i have to know if it is the 60mW or the 5mW?
Second, you are right after watching the product line, new questions arise haha.
Question, you have any experience on buying the laser diode, and then going to agfa and saying ok, charge me to install it?

Thanks again, i think i owe to much beer cases to you guys

Gaston

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back