Gradients on proofer versus press

I am having a problems with my gradients looking chopping and having "hard lines" on press. The plotters on my Epson 9800 look a lot better?

What can I do? The customer thinks it is a press issue. Is there something I can? Is there some information I can pass along to the designer regarding designing gradients?

I am also using Apogee X version 5.

Thanks for the help.

Our situation is opposite, gradients are usually better on press than on Epson.
You have to make sure you don't have gradient as an image but smooth shade.
I suspect this is due to modern APPE rendering smooth shades at 2400 dpi for plate, rather than Epson 720 dpi.

Actually I am not even sure that it gets rendered for epson.
I think I read somewhere that Epson is using "preview" image from smooth shade to plot gradient.
I am not sure where I read this info so take it with grain of salt.
I am pretty sure some more advanced techies can chime in and clarify it for all of us.

It is difficult to say without seeing what it looks like. You could look at what screening you are using and what dot shape. A Euclidean dot versus a square may help smooth it. Also check your calibration curve, if it does not have a smooth transition, it can also cause breaks

Zoran, what screen system are you using and what dot shape? This may help give him some guidance.

Regards,

Mark

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back