gravure print specifications

It appears the 35% is due to the packaging part of the industry and nothing to do with rotogravure. To be safe, I would communicate with the printer to find out what they meant.

I haven't heard of this restriction before. Obviously a gravure press can carry a dot smaller than 35%.

On the other hand, if you're spec-ing a 35% screen of a spot color, you've selected the wrong spot color.

I haven't heard of this restriction before. Obviously a gravure press can carry a dot smaller than 35%.

On the other hand, if you're spec-ing a 35% screen of a spot color, you've selected the wrong spot color.

Unless of course that 35% tint is combining with a solid or tint of a process or another spot ink. Ah, the joys of packaging! Due to the cost of producing gravure cylinders, one does not wish to make a mistake…

Stephen Marsh

Unless of course that 35% tint is combining with a solid or tint of a process or another spot ink. Ah, the joys of packaging! Due to the cost of producing gravure cylinders, one does not wish to make a mistake…

And yet a combination like that cannot be proofed under normal conditions. There are very few folks who have the data to handle that scenario.

And yet a combination like that cannot be proofed under normal conditions. There are very few folks who have the data to handle that scenario.

Rich, despite the complexities in proofing, in my experience the majority of packaging jobs have combinations of process and spot colours, solids and tints overprinting/interacting with each other. This is one of the reasons that the Kodak Approval is still used in high end packaging proofing. GMG is making a lot of noise about OpenColor, it will be interesting to see how this spectral approach works out in the package proofing industry.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
35% that must be a typo!, packaging gravure in general used to be 5% min dot, these days 3% with some outfits with the latest tech now holding 1%. If they can re-produce a CMYK image without the 35% restriction then why would it be different for a spot colour?

Despite there merits right or wrongly Kodak Approvals are dead in the water, people can't get rid of them fast enough!

Last edited:
Rich, despite the complexities in proofing, in my experience the majority of packaging jobs have combinations of process and spot colours, solids and tints overprinting/interacting with each other.

You're absolutely right Stephen. The majority of those conditions have not been press-tested and profiled. The proofing can be an amalgamation of math, conjecture, and witchcraft.

I have been using OpenColor for few months now. I have noticed most of the settings that needs to be defined such as paper type, screening methods, ...etc will not effect the final proof so I am wondering anyone has experienced this before.

Thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back