Has the Font Encoding in CS4 been discussed?

But will there be a statement from Adobe wether this is a bug in backwards compability wich will be fixed or if this is simply a turning point wich more or less forces "CS4 designers" to make PDF/X4 files and printshops to upgrade to APPE2 rips?

I have e.g 120 000 copies of a magazine with adds that no one wants to pay for so I would like to know what to tell my customers.

The nightmare goes on...

The nightmare goes on...

...and gets even worse.

Today I had a PDF which displayed fine on Acrobat Pro 7 & 8 + Adobe Reader 9 but not on Acrobat Pro 9.

Fonts used: Arial and Arial Bold. Document was created with PDF Lib 7.0 (InDesign CS2) by the customer.

Anyone already experienced this too? Am I doing something wrong? Is something just misconfigured?

Attachments

• acrobat_7pro.jpg
    acrobat_7pro.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 203
  • acrobat_9pro.jpg
    acrobat_9pro.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Have seen it before, the font was not included, in settings it is possible to allow Acrobat to use locel fonts for substitution. check if front is included (comand/ctrl-D)
Also interesting to know if it was a PDF from CS3 or CS4 placed in CS2, and then re-exported to PDF.

All fonts are embedded subsets.
If our customer placed the PDF in CS2 or created it from scratch isn't traceable.

All our Acrobats are configured to NOT use local fonts btw.

Also: If I convert the text to outlines, it has the right fontshapes. So it might be somehow connected with the encoding issue...?

Today I had a PDF which displayed fine on Acrobat Pro 7 & 8 + Adobe Reader 9 but not on Acrobat Pro 9.

Fonts used: Arial and Arial Bold. Document was created with PDF Lib 7.0 (InDesign CS2) by the customer.

Anyone already experienced this too? Am I doing something wrong? Is something just misconfigured?

Please provide/upload the ACTUAL PDFs in question. Screen shots are not helpful in debugging problems.

Leonard

Thanks for your reply, Leonard.

Since the PDF was not created by our own, I can't make it available in public.
I'll send you a PM with the link to the file, as soon as I have uploaded it to some webspace.

Thanks for your time.

But will there be a statement from Adobe wether this is a bug in backwards compability wich will be fixed or if this is simply a turning point wich more or less forces "CS4 designers" to make PDF/X4 files and printshops to upgrade to APPE2 rips?

I have e.g 120 000 copies of a magazine with adds that no one wants to pay for so I would like to know what to tell my customers.

see Text in placed PDF is incorrect when exported to PDF and viewed in Acrobat 8 or earlier, or rendered in PDF-based RIP (InDesign CS4) and Adobe Forums: HELP! Text disappears in PDFs viewed in...

Well seems like we got response :) (interesting to see that the they actually reference this post in the thread :) )
Just wish it would have been made more clear what the risk implies and what the consequenses could be!

The latest ReadMeNow refers to InDesign 6.0.2 update providing key fixes in areas of printing and PDF export. In respect to this topic we are still waiting for a fix.

Our APPE 2 is part of our Prinect Workflow from Heidelberg (MetaDimension 7.5).

Create an InDesign document (A4) with a large text frame, fill it with placeholder text and a red background, apply "bevel and emboss" to the frame, export as at least PDF 1.5 with live transparency.

APPE 2 takes over 4 hours to RIP this PDF with 2540 dpi for our platesetter.
The latest update to APPE 2 reduces this time to 9 minutes.

For comparison: CPSI takes a whopping 39 seconds to do the same.

My testpage renders in a matter of seconds at 2400dpi/210lpi. Maybe it´s your MetaDimension that needs a fix and not the APPE2?
If you send me your file I´ll give it a try in my system.

In middle of upgrade to Apogee 6 (Agfa) and opened a previous problem file, with the APPE2 previous errors render as they appear in Acrobat 9. I expect other systems upgraded to APPE2 will also work well.

Placed PDF font encoding issue fixed in InDesign CS4 6.0.4

Placed PDF font encoding issue fixed in InDesign CS4 6.0.4

Some or all of the problems discussed here MAY be solved by the 6.0.4 update. See the release notes for item #2309754.

------------------------------------------------------

An important update to the InCopy and InDesign products has been released today!
To install the update, choose Help > Updates from any Adobe CS4 application, or navigate to the Adobe Updater and launch it:
Mac: /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Utilities/Updater6/Adobe Updater.app
Win: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Updater6\Adobe_Updater.exe

You can also download the updates from Adobe.com at the following locations:
InCopy Mac: Adobe - InCopy : For Macintosh
InCopy Win: Adobe - InCopy : For Windows
InDesign Mac: Adobe - InDesign : For Macintosh
InDesign Win: Adobe - InDesign : For Windows

Release notes are here: Adobe - InDesign & InCopy : Release Notes

Thank's guess it's not quite out yet (but thanks for lettig us be eagerly expectant) :p but I'll try and be patient a few more hours :)

Possibly it will take some time to reach localized instances of Adobe.com or Adobe Updater. Hang in there.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back